Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

should we take fish oil dosage all at once or spread throughout the day?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should we take fish oil dosage all at once or spread throughout the day?

i take 6 fish oil caps..are they better absorbed taking them all at once or throughout the day?? thanks!!!
    Jenny

Hi Jenny,

I think my eyes are better when I split my oils and supplements into two doses (morning and evening). You might want to take a digestive enzyme along with your fish oils to ensure that your body is better able to digest them.

Comment

thanks. i called the company who makes the fish oil and they said i could take them all at once but i may try to split it up like u said. what kind of digestive enzymes do you take..???
      Jenny

Comment

I take 'Digest More HCl' by Renew Life. It seems to be a reputable company and there aren't that many digestive enzymes out there that also contain hydrochloric acid. Many people are low in HCl, particularly Sjogren's sufferers. I am middle aged, so I figure I am probably on the low side of HCl levels.

I find that when I split the fish oil, vitamin E (your body needs more vitamin E when you supplement with fish oils), and my other supplements, I get fewer episodes of burning. Also, in terms of digestion, I believe it is also important to take probiotics (away from food or other supplements).

Comment

I split mine throughout the day but from what I've read I don't think it makes much difference so it's really down to personal preference.

Comment

It depends if you are using capsules or an oil (where you take about 5ml in a measuring cup). Capsules can be taken all at once if taken with some fatty food (oils need fat to absorb), but who wants to swallow 6 fish oil capsules? So it's more convenient to split them. If you're on 6 fish oil capsules (recommended), then either take three capsules twice a day, or two capsules three times a day. If you decide to take an "oil" where you measure about 5ml...it's one quick swallow and your done!! although some people can't handle the taste (you can get fruit flavored fish oils these days).

Comment

Seperate them. Your body can only absorb so much. twice a day is good.

Comment

i have never heard to take fish oil with fatty foods?? fish oil is a fat? i am confused..can you clarify where you got this info? thanks!
                Jenny

Comment

Hi Jenny, it's been a long time since my training but I'll do my best to explain. Fish oil is a fat and needs to be broken down further by the body with enzymes such as "Lipase" within the intestines. Simply taking fish oils on their own is not enough for the body to stimulate the enzymes needed to digest the fish oils. However, by eating a small portion of fatty foods such as cottage cheese, avocado, butter, almond paste on bread, etc it's bulky enough to register the chemical receptors in the first part of your intestines (duodenum) that "fat is in the system - release the lipase". So if you have 'fish oil capsules' in with the food they will also benefit from the higher absorption rate.

If you want more information, I've quickly found this website for you: http://www.health-science-spirit.com/lipase.html

Comment

Great question, and very informative guys, thanks! I'm going to split my doses now too. I also take flax oil, and primrose oil, I'm wondering now if its OK to take them all together myself? I have been doing that, but want to get the best absorption.

Comment

im splitting.. i take 3 in the am with breakfast and 3 with a snack later on--i try to take it with fats but ususally just with food-i was told just take with food for better absoprtion
                      Jenny

Comment

I've been taking two capsules of flaxseed oil since december 9, and added two of fish oil since january 13. I take one of each at lunch e one of each at night. I can't see any improvement so far from these oils. Maybe i would be worse today whithout them, who knows...

Comment

bakunin - two fish oil capsules usually isn't enough. You need at least 6 a day to get the anti-inflammatory properties. Other things to consider is the 'quality' of the fish oils, there are many on the market being sold that have gone 'rancid'. On that note, it's always best to refrigerate them.

Comment

DCRdryeye, how many milligrams of oil are in the capsules you're taking? I'm taking 3000mg of flaxseed oil (seems to work better for me than fish oil) and I'm considering upping the dose. I'm taking them all at once in the morning with my multi-vitamin and thyroid meds.
                            The eye altering, alters all - William Blake

Comment

I think you should split your dose throughout the day because it will keep you charged for whole day.

Comment

Working...
                              X