X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caffeine a cure for dry eye?

From Torontosun.com

Add curing dry eyes to the list of amazing things coffee can do.

In recent years, studies have shown that drinking coffee decreases people's likelihood of developing cancer, diabetes, gallstones and Parkinson's disease.

And now it's being touted as a potential treatment for dry-eye syndrome, a problem that's painful and irritating for most sufferers and can cause vision impairment in some extreme cases.

Researchers at the University of Tokyo's School of Medicine studied 78 people with dry-eye syndrome. In one session, they gave half of them caffeine pills, and the other half placebos. In the next session, they reversed the doses.

Nobody knew which pill they were getting, and all of them abstained from caffeine and other drugs for the six days leading up to the experiment.

In both sessions, those who got the caffeine pills produced more tears than those who did not.

But it's not just the java that did the trick. It also depends on people's ability to metabolize caffeine, the researchers said.

They found the participants whose DNA showed the two genetic variations that play important roles in caffeine metabolism had greater tear production after taking the caffeine pills.

The study posits that caffeine stimulates tear glands in the same way it increase other secretions, like saliva and digestive juices.

"If confirmed by other studies, our findings on caffeine should be useful in treating dry-eye syndrome," Dr. Reiko Arita said in a press release. "At this point, though, we would advise using it selectively for patients who are most sensitive to caffeine's stimulating effects."

The study has been published in the journal Ophthalmology.

Hi Pinky, Thanks for the post. That was interesting to know. I had thought of caffeine being detrimental to dry eye. So it was the exact opposite??? Perhaps I should start drinking coffee moderately.

Comment

OMG! i love this.. ihave been going to a naturopath who took me off of coffee for my dry eye and sjogrens..has it helped.?? not really.. when i was still working i would down the coffee-i never saw a connection between that and my eyes getting flared up..i have ocular rosacea too..very interesting..hmmmm
      Jenny

Comment

You would think that coffee would be contraindicated for dry eye because of its diuretic properties but according to Wikipedia:

"Caffeine has diuretic properties when administered to people who are not used to it, but regular users develop a tolerance to this effect, and studies have generally failed to support the common notion that ordinary consumption contributes significantly to dehydration. "

I think the reason coffee may benefit dry eye is because it it a central nervous system stimulant.

Comment

Here's the pubmed abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22336631

The dose was 5-7mg per kg body weight.

Personally I go crazy on caffeine... besides the fact that I should not take it because of rosacea. But I wonder how much that dose would affect me???? hmmm

You know, there was another study that I know of that showed caffeine was protective (see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10980773).

I wonder if there is a way to apply caffeine topically to the lids to avoid taking it systemically? Another hmmm.

All very interesting...

Comment

At first glance, this looks like great news. After all, who does not enjoy a great cup of coffee? I personally have been limiting my coffee intake, in an effort to improve my health and dry eyes. Now, it looks like I might be able to go ahead with my morning coffee!

. . . Thinking a little bit more about the results, maybe I should not rush out and unpack my coffee maker just yet! The study only states that tear production increased. The study does not appear to address the quality of tears that are produced with the caffeine pills. Did the participants actually rate their dry eye symptoms as improved? Did their eyes feel better? On the scientific end, did their TBUT actually increase along with the increase in tearing?

Coffee is known to be very acidic in the body. Many people here have commented that they notice more burning with coffee consumption. Maybe 'spmcc' is onto a good idea, caffeine eye drops

Comment

There's also the little hiccup of needing the correct genetic polymorphism for caffeine to work!

FYI the participants were healthy.

But I'm vacillating here... I think if someone doesn't have any adverse reaction to caffeine, go for it! Considering that I go crazy and my rosacea flares, I just don't think I can risk it.

As for caffeine drops... I'm really, really, REALLY hoping that someone comes up with a treatment that swipes on the lids. I don't want anything IN my eyes or even close enough to bleed in. I'm in fantasyland, I know, but that's what I'm wishing for!!

Comment

Well if we all wish hard enough, maybe it can happen!

Joining you in fantasyland!

Maybe, tea is the answer . . . caffeine, lots of antioxidants, lower acidity . . .

Comment

Please see this another article:
                  Why So Dry?
                  http://www.optometricmanagement.com/...ticleid=104929

The above article is not so euphoric about caffeine as this one:
                  http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/news...e-help-dry-eye

Comment

NEWSFLASH:

Twinkies can cure dry eyes!
                    Rebecca Petris
                    The Dry Eye Foundation
                    dryeyefoundation.org
                    800-484-0244

Comment

Rebecca,

I liked your answer! LOL!!! My kind of humor. It is stressful because we are in so much pain and we get stuff like eat bananas and you will be ok again!

Comment

and then supposedly bananas can be bad if you have rosacea..its a trigger.. omg.. i am to the point of just not listening! lol but i do love Rebecca's answer-twinkies sound so yummy now!! lol
                        Jenny

Comment

Thats an interesting post. I'm in remission these days and drink 1-2 strong coffees a day with no issues for my eyes.

While I think that the humble coffee bean does do us some good, in moderation, the industry is also the second biggest commodity after oil so am always slightly raised eyebrow at the kind of claims they make sometimes. Vested interests at stake etc ;-)
                          Jamie

Comment

Noticed the note about having a specific DNA variant. Wish they had said which. When you have rosacea on top of everything else, food becomes a big challenge. Kind of narrows choices down to chicken, eggs, and anything bland without sugar. Coffee doesn't seem to bother me, but I doubt it helps either. Might put Twinkies in the fridge and use as cold compresses!

Comment

LOL!!! Right up there with rebecca's.

Comment

Working...
                              X