This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diet to help bleph

I read an online article some years ago that was discouraging. It related, not to me, but to women who had recurring vaginal yeast infections and said that a diet to STARVE the yeast permanently had been impossible for anyone to stick to because IT said strict adherence to a diet that eliminated ALL simple and complex carbs for 6 mos needed to be followed. (Even root vegetables like carrots have sugar in them.) My dermatologist and eye doctor have been ZERO help re diet advice. Having read the above, I am encouraged that REDUCING carbs may indeed help. About age 56, in January, I got a very unusual scalp infection--don't know how. Was put on 3 weeks of doxyclycline & at end of treatment, I got pinprick all-over-scalp seborrhea. (The antibiotic had killed off good bacteria and allowed the yeast development.) Dermatologist put me on Nizoral 2% shampoo with 99 REFILLS. I managed okay until 18 mos. ago when I had a hysterectomy. Even with estrogen replacement, my scalp seborrhea became much worse and affected my EYES (where it is same thing but called bleph.) I have MGD also. I do warm compresses, massage, good drops, and have been on Zylet or Azasite all but 2 one-month med breaks. I've refused doxycline systemically because that caused the problem in the FIRST place! I'M VERY ENCOURAGED TO TRY TO EAT MUCH HEALTHIER AND INCLUDE A LOT MORE SALADS AND SPINACH! I also was diagnosed with drusen in both eyes at age 50 (I'm 62 now.) This macular degeneration has not progressed, but my father had it so that's genes, but I just read that diet, weight loss, and exercise seem to slow it down too. This bleph w/MGD is bad enough that I am more than willing to change my habits. IT'S GREAT TO FEEL THAT I DON'T HAVE TO LIMIT MYSELF TO JUST SPINACH! This thread has made me feel that major changes, but tolerable ones, could really help. I'll let you know in a 3-6 months if I notice a change. I've been taking high quality fish oil for several years & think that's good, but I can't say it's helped. Sure can't recommend that anyone have uterus removed if they have dry eye! Try anything else! I was way past menopause, but apparently at age 60 uterus still had a lot of good estrogen & other stuff that held this yeast at bay. It WASN'T good news to read that yeast can also survive on gluten and just on dry skin. I think the dandruff shampoos dry my scalp although the dermotologist said that my totally flaking scalp this winter wasn't dry skin(?). I think the dandruff shamppo suds DO help bleph as they flow over closed eyes. If you have seborrhea also or do this, rotate shampoos (Nizoral, T-gel (coal tar), Selsun blue (zinc.) I wish the docs had TOLD me to do this. I found out the hard way. Yeast become RESISTANT to one type shampoo; that's why you need to rotate! Great site! Good luck to all, and please post if you've experimented with diet changes Becky

i wish i could say the same.. i write down how my eyes feel daily.. i was GF, dairy free, soy free, bean free etc... on such a super strict diet-3 months and i gvae up... i had so many BAD days even at the end of 3 months.. i may go back on but i dont think the diet helped my dryness or MGDs... anybody else have this experience?
    Jenny

Comment

hi jenny,

I think the key to reducing inflammation is to go sugar free. And yes this means to give up any form of alcohol for the duration of this diet, probably three or four months. I have been almost sugar free for seven weeks. . . I still put a bit of sugar in my tea, although I am switching over to stevia. I have given up just about all sweets. I do notice that when I go out and have a sweet treat, my eyes feel worse the next day.

I figure going sugar free is good for my body regardless of what might be ailing it (any hidden autoimmune disease or inflammation). I know that I will ultimately sleep better and have more energy. I see this all as being absolutely essential to being able to treat and handle dry eyes.

I also think it is important to continue with supplements: fish oils, vitamins ACE, coenzyme Q10, B vits, calcium+ magnesium, selinium, zinc, curcumin (tumeric), digestive enzymes, and probiotics. Trying to avoid any processed foods is important too.

Comment

fyi I moved these posts to a new thread in Open Forum because they were posted in an old thread. Also interesting topic and helpful to start new threads when it goes in a new direction.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

hopeful-are you including sugar from veggies too like sweet potatoes, carrots??? obviously you mean fruits? i dont add any sugar and i was on a non processed diet.very strict.yes i did eat lots of fruit ... everytime i ask any eye doc about sugar they all say it doesnt cause dry eye ..that too little omega 3 does.etc...

so what type of diet are you following? what veggies do you eat? thanks!
          Jenny

Comment

I am eating all fruit and veggies. I don't think dry eye is necessarily caused by sugar, but inflammation from dry eye could very possibly be exacerbated by sugar.

Comment

well that is what i ate and am eating again.. i still had so many flareups..but again i have sjogrens syndrome.. i think a big part of mine (and anybody ) with dry is handling stress..!
              Jenny

Comment

Working...
              X