This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does vitamin A help with dry eyes? also vitamin b5

ive been told by docs vitamin A only helps those in 3rd world countries but when i read about it on the net it says vitamin A does help? anybody on here taking it and if so does it help? b6??
    Jenny

you can buy carrot juice and see. The best stuff that is nothing but carrot is expensive. i drink carrot juice all the time and find the more I drink it the more I crave it. I don't think it has helped my eyes but can't hurt.

Comment

My daughter has just been prescribed Vita-POS which is an ointment with Vitamin A. The consultant told us Vitamin A is known to help eyes. She has been told to use it liberally at bedtime instead of Lacri-Lube.

Comment

I am very far from an expert on this subject, so please do not take what I say as fact without researching it yourself but...

I've heard that beta carotene is converted in your body into vitamin A as is needed. Therefore, by taking a beta carotene supplement instead of a vitamin A supplement you greatly reduce the possible risks of over dosing on vitamin A, and yet, your body will get all the vitamin A it needs/wants.

"Provitamin A carotenoids such as beta carotene are generally considered safe because they are not linked to specific bad health effects. Their conversion to vitamin A slows down when body stores are full. A high intake of provitamin A carotenoids from foods can turn the skin yellow, but this is not thought to be dangerous to health." source: http://www.cancer.org/Treatment/Trea...-beta-carotene

p.s. beta carotene is found in carrots and many other colourful vegetables, which is why if you take a ton of beta carotene it will turn your skin orange! However, if you do turn yourself orange, it's not considered dangerous, you should go back to normal in about 3 days after discontinued use. Then, I've heard that you can go right back on the beta carotene. Cool stuff eh?

But please remember, I'm not an expert on this subject, so do your own research if you have doubts about what I've said!

Comment

thanks tankie... i dont want to be orange though..lol.. that would look like a lot of bad self tanner.lol..thanks for the info tho!
          Jenny

Comment

haha, I dunno. I think it would be pretty cool You'd go back to normal within a few days anyway!

Comment

Working...
            X