This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbohydrates/glucose and tear/mucus relationship

Just a little experiment I am doing here, but wondering if anyone had experience with a diet slightly higher in carbohydrates and tear function. I stumbled across this article and came across a few internet posts where folks on lower carb type diets had issues with dry eye.

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2010/11...tinal-cancers/

It's something worth thinking about, perhaps. Although I don't consider myself much of a "carb counter" type of person, I do think I unintentionally err on the lower side since I find some whole grains somewhat hard to digest. Soooo.....I'm incorporating a few more sandwiches and sweet potatoes into my daily life to see. Even if it doesn't work, I'll be in for some A and B vitamins, which doesn't hurt, right?

There may be some connection with carbs, tryptophan, GABA, all that stuff that keeps anxiety at bay....I'm no scientist, but it does seem that I at least sleep better when I've had more hearty, filling meals with grains, spread evenly throughout the day.

Originally posted by No tears in ATL View Post
    Just a little experiment I am doing here, but wondering if anyone had experience with a diet slightly higher in carbohydrates and tear function. I stumbled across this article and came across a few internet posts where folks on lower carb type diets had issues with dry eye.

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2010/11...tinal-cancers/

It's something worth thinking about, perhaps. Although I don't consider myself much of a "carb counter" type of person, I do think I unintentionally err on the lower side since I find some whole grains somewhat hard to digest. Soooo.....I'm incorporating a few more sandwiches and sweet potatoes into my daily life to see. Even if it doesn't work, I'll be in for some A and B vitamins, which doesn't hurt, right?

There may be some connection with carbs, tryptophan, GABA, all that stuff that keeps anxiety at bay....I'm no scientist, but it does seem that I at least sleep better when I've had more hearty, filling meals with grains, spread evenly throughout the day.
    This is very interesting; thank you. I've been on a low-carb diet for a little while, and I have noticed extra dryness. I didn't make the connection until I read this article.

Comment

I am and always was very thin, and the foods i like and eat most since i was a child are rich carbohydrates foods: cookies, bread, pasta etc. But i think i have mucus dficiency (almost no sleepy, after lasik or after DES started last year, i don't know).

Comment

Interesting...the site suggests 400-600 calories in carbohydrate, which translates to 100-150 grams carbohydrate daily. That's not terribly low or high, so it shouldn't put anyone in the danger zone, I wouldn't think. They seem to be big fans of rice as the chosen starch, although that would make sense given this is a "Pacific Islander" style of eating.

Comment

Working...
        X