Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSJ article on food & chronic inflammation

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...453590070.html

I know a number of us are already on low inflammation diets of some sort, with varying levels of success, but everytime I see an article like this, where scientists are paying attention to inflammation, I get excited since so many of us (all?) have eye / lid / gland inflammation as a component of our disease.

Hi PotatoCakes - is there any particular book you read to go on an anti-inflamation diet? I've read a number of books but some contradict each other (dairy, no dairy, no bread products vs. high fiber). I'm not sure what to follow. I'm basically really hungry right now because I'm at the height of eye pain and have eliminated just about everything but fruits and vegetable. Is there a book or web site you can recommend?

Comment

Cali, regarding being hungry, have you tried having a very generous portion of meat at lunch and supper? For me, that makes a huge difference - the meat keeps me full longer.

Mind you, if you're a vegetarian, that won't work...

Also, I bulk up the calories by having an enormous salad with cheese in it - sometimes it's chef salad style with mozzarella or cheddar, other times I go greek and have feta... spinach with blue cheese, apple slices, thinly sliced cooked steak and a balsamic vinaigrette is delicious too The protein in the cheese keeps me feeling full longer as well. Other sources that help are adding nuts to a salad - pecans, walnuts, etc.

Comment

Do you ever drink smoothies as a meal replacement or snack? I have a few I love that have either peanut butter, almond butter, or greek yogurt as a protein source, and almond milk as the liquid. Then add whatever fruits/veggies you like. Frozen bananas with kale and spinach, frozen mango and raspberries, frozen banana and blueberries, etc. The protein kinda holds you over for a while too. Plus, I add flax seed or chia seeds for my omega-3s. I can give you some recipes if you would like to try them.

Comment

I guess I'll start to add some meat back in - just want to be sure it's inflammation free. I've also been adding in the chia and grinding my own flax. Trying everything possible.

Comment

I'm vegetarian, and always had a low fat diet. I don't even have sugar at home. But I eat a lot of wheat in foods. ????

Comment

Like Cali, am so confused by these so-called anti-inflammatory diets. what the heck are you supposed to eat? Obviously salmon and foods high in omega 3's. But what else? All I got from this article is that 3 servings of low-fat dairy and high fiber foods will also help. But I've also read that you should completely avoid carbs and sugar. And red meat. Maybe all meat, I can't remember. And tomatoes. At this point, I am not even trying to follow these rules, because they are completely impossible.

Comment

what are alkaline food? what are the benefits of taking them?

what are the causes of acidic food? what are acidic food?
                Raw eating cures all deceases.
                whole body cure is eye cure
                FOOD (Natural, chemical free), Environment (air, water, noise), Relaxed Mind makes decease free

Comment

I am no expert but it is my understanding that foods when digested produce either an acid ash or an alkaline ash. The body fluids in a health body should be on the alkaline side. I understand that cancer grows in acidic conditions. Unfortunately most of the foods in a typical western diet are more acid ash producing than alkaline ash producing. You can go online and research the foods that are know to produce either acid or alkaline ash and you can also check your body status by checking the ph of your saliva either before eating or 2 hours after with a litmus paper which you can buy at a chemical supply store. It should read at least 8 interestingly enough just because a food is acidic (like oranges) does not mean that they produce an acid ash. Citrus fruit actually produce an alkaline ash. Do a bit of research, there is lots of info out there and books on the subject. One that comes to mind is Robert Barefoot's. Death by Diet. Hope this helps...F/G

Comment

farmgirl

you are right 100% realy alkaline food esily digest and easy for your liver. liver problem is EYE problem. alkaline food reduce eye problems

you have many times of vitamins in sprouts.! and proteins too. also esily digestable good for whole body. This is my experience
                    Raw eating cures all deceases.
                    whole body cure is eye cure
                    FOOD (Natural, chemical free), Environment (air, water, noise), Relaxed Mind makes decease free

Comment

Working...
                    X