Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

paleo diet ? for dry eyes and/or autoimmune?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paleo diet ? for dry eyes and/or autoimmune?

just wondering if anybody has stuck to the paleo diet?
    i read that for those with autoimmune (me) have to also give up fruits and eggs..

i wonder how long it takes to get results and if the eye dryness gets better?
    Jenny

Originally posted by jenny2008 View Post
    just wondering if anybody has stuck to the paleo diet?
    i read that for those with autoimmune (me) have to also give up fruits and eggs..

i wonder how long it takes to get results and if the eye dryness gets better?
    Hey Jenny,

I'm not sure if anything I do diet-wise makes a marked difference in my dry eye. Before, I would default to a lower carb diet but cannot say it did much for me. Main reason was some digestive issues I had.

Then, after reading the link below, tried slightly higher carbohydrate diet; while symptoms didn't really let up, I did feel better overall moodwise and with sleep. And those are the things that can help us heal. For me, rice and sweet potatoes were relatively easy to digest so it worked out ok.

What this site has to say about low carb diets is pretty interesting, in that, it can actually make you dry up all over! Glucose, apparently, is necessary for the maintenance of mucosa membranes. This group says to aim for around 100 grams per day, sticking with rice and root vegetables as the main source of carbs. It's more of a Pacific Islander designed diet.

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/category/disease/dry-eyes/

Sometimes, I don't think it matters what we eat...we've got folks on here who eat perfectly clean diets, and still have bad dry eye symptoms. If you have depression or insomnia, or you like starches but are sensitive to wheat, I'd say it wouldn't hurt to give this diet a try.

Comment

thanks for replying... yeah i guessi worry cause i have autoimmune and the latest craze is no gluten.. blha blah blah.... i did try for 3 months.. didnt feel any better. now others tell me it takes 6 months! i dont know. guess i have to listen to my intuition.

thanks for the link btw.
      Jenny

Comment

Jenny
        I know how much you are trying to help yourself with not eating the wrong thing and taking supplements, I used to do all this and to be honest lovey, it did not help much with the dry eye pain/irritation, which was my main reason for trying it. I am going to stick my neck out here at the risk of offending anybody who swears by not eating stuff, I certainly respect thier reasons and great if they have helped, I wish it could for more of us. But do you think that just eating good honest wholesome food without denying yourself so much would be kinder? I have followed hellishly strict diets in the last two decades for my other illnesses and all that has ever really happened...... I got quite thin, and very uptight!!
        You are right this gluten thing is so very in, I have brought into it to. I think it is indicated (my humble opinion only) for those who are truly allergic to gluten or at the very least have digestion problems when eating it. I do try to limit sugar intake, that is one thing I do as a friend of mine who is a food scientist has backed up my research into it not being that great in huge quantities for inflamation, but I do not cut it out completely anymore as when I did it made no difference. If you start to take on board all the latest advice, you wil eat nothing save the barest of ingredients.
        I was spending hundreds on supplements and a couple of weeks ago I even started Maca powder and I actually think it screwed in the wrong way with my hormones and made me feel horrid so one has to be so careful of topping up.
        You remind me of where I am and to be honest I am struggling a lot at the mo and dreading the winter with these eyes having gotten even worse over the last few months but I dont think this winter I will be starving myself again! I like to eat fresh veggies, fruit, fish, yoghurt, cream cheese, cottage cheese, pasta, rice and basically any food that is as fresh as is possible, organic is good. For me this is what feels right to get some enjoyment out of life!
        Lulu x

Comment

hey Lulu.. you have sjogrens too i see.
          i really appreciate your advice... how long hvae you had sjogrens? feel free to PM me if u like.
          i dont know what to think about the gluten thing cause everybody acts like its gospel or something.. ahhhh...
          thanks for your perspective.. sometimes i just feel im chasing my tail.:P
          Jenny

Comment

I have pm d you, two long posts so sent in two sections!
            Lulu x

Comment

Working...
            X