Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

best diet for MGD/dry eye/sjogrens... is gluten free the best?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best diet for MGD/dry eye/sjogrens... is gluten free the best?

just curious from those of you who have tried diets..yes i have asked before but i know there are new members on here as well as "old timers' who have tried various diets...

i was wondering if someone could recommend the best diet they have found to help their MGD... and if it does help to what degree?? i get my gland expressed monthly but i went yest after a 1 and 1/2 weeks to a dif doc since mine will be retiring soon and my gland were already so clogged..

i am thinking maybe it is due to my horrible eating habits since oct? sweets all the time, bad fats..not caring..

i take 4000mg fish oil-tryglyceride formula.physicians recommended neutracuticals...along with my other meds..restasis, blood serum. etc.

if anyone can offer some advice i so welcome it.. i tried a very strict gluten, dairy, soy , and egg free diet for 3 months earlier this year. maybe i didnt give it enough time..

also if someone can recommend a diet is it ok to cheat once in awhile with a treat? thanks again!!!
    Jenny

In general, a healthy diet will improve your health and certainly may lesson your symptoms, even if it doesn't 'cure' you. Whether a specialized diet is necessary, that depends on the person. There is always room for a treat in a diet, you just have to find treats that work for you (for instance, if you are dairy-free, you can have really wonderful, dark chocolate that is made with soy, instead of dairy -- just read the label!).

I've been told by numerous doctors, nutritionists, etc that 90 days is the magic number. If you'd like to try a diet, go for 90 days and see if it will make a difference. In that time, your body has time, not only to clear itself of the food problem but also heal any inflammation, etc that the food caused.

I've tried dairy-free, nut-free, and gluten-free, not together but individually. I'd like to try eliminating night shades, as well but haven't gotten there yet. In general, my diet is very healthy (limited sugar, high in veggies, limited to no meats, moderate fish consumption, etc). I have found that during certain times of the year, like the holidays, when my diet goes a little haywire with increased alcohol and sugar consumption, my eyes feel worse. It's not exact though, I've had periods where I've been eating really well and my eyes feel worse. Still, anything is worth a try if it will help you.

One thing that helped me when I began eliminating foods, consider it a lifestyle change instead of a diet.

Comment

thanks so much..when i avoided teh gluten, dairy soy and eggs it was for 3 mos..what is hard is that with sjogrens or just dry eye alone even if u introduce a new food its hard to know ifu have a response to it--cause with sjogrens i flare up and down sometimes for no reason or just stress!
      Jenny

Comment

Working...
      X