Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how much gamma linolenic acid to take for MGD with fish oil..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how much gamma linolenic acid to take for MGD with fish oil..

i have been reading GLA is anti inflammatory (altough an omega 6) does anybody on here take it and how much do you take in comparison /ratio to your fish oil?? does it helped the meibomian glands stay open?? thanks!!! hope someone can help me!!!
    Jenny

Hydroeyes has 1,570 mg of GLA and ALA. Just started taking the supplement. Also looking to find a way to keep meibomian glands open. Tried Lipiflow, but not very successful. Have you found any successful ways to keep the meibomian glands open?

Comment

thanks . i will look that up and no-my doc expresses monthly but they clog right back..even when on a strict low omega 6 diet.. ughh
      Jenny

Comment

Have you tried testosterone gel? You rub it into the lid of your upper eye. There are androgen receptors in the eye, and according to the latest research, the androgen plays a role in preventing keratin from forming which blocks the glands. My doctor started me on 0,01% dexamethazone. If this clogging is due to inflammation, the dexamethazone stops this cycle. I am using the hot compress rice bag, and bert's bees baby shampoo lid scrubs 2 times a day. Have any of your glands atophied?

Comment

Do not know if you got my last post. What have you tried so far to keep your glands open besides the monthly expression? Have you tried testosterone gel on the eye lids? My doctor prescribed 0.01% dexamethazone to reduce inflammation. Do you have any glands that have atrophied?
          Originally posted by jenny2008 View Post
          thanks . i will look that up and no-my doc expresses monthly but they clog right back..even when on a strict low omega 6 diet.. ughh

Comment

i used 2% testosterone cream on my eyelids years ago for about 9 months and it didnt help my glands or tears at all..none of my glands are atrophied... they just clog up like toothpaste... i have had probing done 3x... only last a little longer than the doc expressing them.. i do use warm compresses and doxy...and 4000mg of tryglericide fish oil

i will ask my doc about .01% dexamethazone.. is it a compounded med? does it help to keep your glands open? thanks!
            Jenny

Comment

I just started using the low steroid about 6 days ago. The dexameth came from Leiter's Pharmacy in DCalifornia. You have to get your eye pressure checked to see if you are a steroid responder. The dose is so low that it should not increase eye pressure. I will try to find a doc in WV that will do a good manual expression. If you have chronic MGD, I wonder if home expression with your finger will help at all. Disappointing about the testosterone not working. How much doxy do you take? Do you have rosacca or inflammation of the eyelids?
              Originally posted by jenny2008 View Post
              i used 2% testosterone cream on my eyelids years ago for about 9 months and it didnt help my glands or tears at all..none of my glands are atrophied... they just clog up like toothpaste... i have had probing done 3x... only last a little longer than the doc expressing them.. i do use warm compresses and doxy...and 4000mg of tryglericide fish oilCaliforni

i will ask my doc about .01% dexamethazone.. is it a compounded med? does it help to keep your glands open? thanks!

Comment

so the dexameth is a steriod??
                yes i do the expression by pushing a qtip on my upper and lower lids after heat.... there is no way for me to do it like the doc expresses them.
                yes i have ocular rosacea and sjogrens too...
                Jenny

Comment

Working...
                X