Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pasteurized milk is terribly bad for your health. A huge proportion of the population have intolerance to lactose, casein, and other ingredients in milk and it's been linked to prostate cancer. In fact, cut dairy from your diet, and see if that makes an improvement to your eyes. Wheat and gluten are other culprits. But we are all individuals with different food intolerances.

Best obtain Lactoferrin from a capsule rather than "white poison", which is the name many give to milk. 100 yrs ago, milk was unpasteurized and had a natural creamy colour, not the strange pearly white colour it is nowadays. Pasteurization kills many of the beneficial ingredients needed to help you absorb milk and digest it. No-one has ever died from unpasterized milk.

Furthermore, the ingredients in the product mentioned above is mediocre compared to what is needed for dry eye. Firstly, the doses are too low and many key ingredients are missing. Yes, it sounded exciting, but in reality it's just another mediocre product.

Comment

Dietary lactoferrin alleviates age-related lacrimal gland dysfunction in mice. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22479365

FYI: whey protein is a good source of lactoferrin and whey protein isolate (not concentrate) is safe for most people with lactose intolerance.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/30...e-intolerance/

"Whey protein powder contains less than 0.1 g of lactose per tablespoon, according to the Whey Protein Institute. This is less lactose than what is found in a cup of yogurt and should not affect someone who is lactose intolerant. Whey protein concentrate might cause adverse effects in someone who is lactose intolerant."
      Last edited by Pinky; 10-Feb-2013, 20:21.

Comment

Originally posted by DCRdryeye View Post
        Pasteurized milk is terribly bad for your health. A huge proportion of the population have intolerance to lactose, casein, and other ingredients in milk and it's been linked to prostate cancer. In fact, cut dairy from your diet, and see if that makes an improvement to your eyes. Wheat and gluten are other culprits. But we are all individuals with different food intolerances.

Best obtain Lactoferrin from a capsule rather than "white poison", which is the name many give to milk. 100 yrs ago, milk was unpasteurized and had a natural creamy colour, not the strange pearly white colour it is nowadays. Pasteurization kills many of the beneficial ingredients needed to help you absorb milk and digest it. No-one has ever died from unpasterized milk.

Furthermore, the ingredients in the product mentioned above is mediocre compared to what is needed for dry eye. Firstly, the doses are too low and many key ingredients are missing. Yes, it sounded exciting, but in reality it's just another mediocre product.
        You are right, its better to get it in a capsule. Also, there is not a single product out there that have been proved to cure dry eyes. Cure is wrongly chosen as a word but lets say a long term relief at least. Theratears? Lacrima? Then why vitamin A hasnt helped us to retrieve back our ocular health? There must be a reason why Vitamin A hasnt been added in this capsule. Well, most of us dont even know what works and what doesnt since we still have dry eyes right? this product has received good reviews and not many have had chances to review it.

And thanks for educating us on pasterized milk, I didnt know whole lot about it. Still, there is a reason why milk exists for us humans and why moms give milk to their baby, its definitely something thats not just good for bones but has other benefits. And Milk also contains magnesium no? capsule or not, you gotta understand the benefits of milk.

Comment

Vitamins can play a part but the majority of most people's dry eye is caused by tear film problems which often times are caused by problems with the meibomian glands. If your glands aren't functioning properly all the vitamins in the world won't make a difference.

Comment

Interesting side note - ProKera contains lactoferrin. http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...Prokera-update

Comment

Originally posted by bakunin View Post
              But as probiotics, milk is very bad. Milk vanishes the guts flora. Lactoferrin may be good for our problem, but the commercialized (pasteurized) milk isn't good for anything, for what i've been reading in some books.
              correct but lactoferrin have been proved to be good for immunity and as well as for maintaining a good level of bacteria in the intestinal tract. its also called an antioxidant. Instead of getting it in pasteurized milk, you could get it in a supplement but i dont think its cheap.

Comment

I rather thought this was good information for us all

http://gentlehugs.wordpress.com/2009...le-supplement/

Comment

Will have a proper read of that later, but what the heck is that orange thing sticking up at the top right corner of there home page (on link provided).. lol..

Comment

Like Big Nate, I am lactose intolerant, but am going to try these anyway. Shouldn't take long to see how the lactose fares. Thanks for posting this dryeye.

Comment

I will update after a few weeks or months at least starting my recovery tommorow and try lactoferrin supplement you guys can also tell if it has made any difference.

Comment

A very interesting study done in 2005

http://abstracts.iovs.org/cgi/conten...ract/46/5/2046

there is no doubt in mind that omega 3 and lactoferrin are key for fighting inflammation

Comment

Yeah, but 270 mg. of lactoferrin is a lot, no? Are you taking lacto? what dose? notice anything?

Comment

Has anyone had a tear lactoferrin assay as part of the dry eye workup? I've not been successful in locating a doctor who does this test.

Here's more about lactoferrin and its role in dry eye by the manufacturer of the lactoferrin tear assay device. http://www.touchscientific.com/lfnfact2.htm

So-- given lactoferrin is manufactured by the acinar cells in the lacrimal glands, and IF those cells are knocked out, say by radio-iodine treatments for thyroid disease (Grave's) which is a documented side-effect of RAI "therapy" THEN that might explain chronic dry eye. (Source: Salivary and Lacrimal Gland Dysfunction (Sicca Syndrome) After Radioiodine Therapy http://jnm.snmjournals.org/content/42/5/738.full.pdf

Question is, where to be tested and if that test shows low lactoferrin level in the tears, could improvement be tracked with additional periodic lactoferrin assay following treatment with oral supplement.... I've called the manufacturer of the Touch Scientific lactoferrin assay tear testing device, but there's no response to my inquiry.

The DEWS report also has discussion on lactoferrin levels as an indicator of dysfunctional tear syndrome. http://www.tearfilm.org/dewsreport/p...DEWS-noAds.pdf Here are a couple of excerpts:

"tear volume and certain lacrimal tear proteins, such as lysozyme and lactoferrin, are decreased in aqueous-deficient dry eye.1"
                            "Delineation of the role of the innate immune system in dry eye syndrome is also needed (including lactoferrin, lysozyme, complement, kinin/kininogen, arachidonic acid metabolites, neuropeptides, toll-like receptors, and surfactant protein-D)."

Thanks for the discussion.
                            Last edited by Blinks; 16-Feb-2013, 09:34. Reason: typos

Comment

i have ordered lactoferrin to from iherb.

Comment

I bought the Eyescience pills and they arrived today. First off the main reason I bought them was because of the 30 day money back guarantee on their website. When I got the pills the slip said 15 day money back guarantee if the bottle is not opened. OK well that doesnt do me any good. Also, now that I look at the website there are reviews, but how do you get to make a review? I bought the product and was never asked to review it. Maybe I'm being paranoid.

Comment

Working...
                                X