This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New research on probiotics

As eye problems and skin problems are often linked, I thought members might be interested in the following study published in the Journal of Investigative Dermatology.

http://news.wustl.edu/news/Pages/25024.aspx

“We were extremely excited to uncover a third strain of P. acnes that’s common in healthy skin yet rarely found when acne is present,” says Li. “We suspect that this strain contains a natural defense mechanism that enables it to recognize attackers and destroy them before they infect the bacterial cell.”

http://www.philly.com/philly/health/...e_Culprit.html

"Li said she expects the research will ultimately lead to a personalized medicine approach to acne treatment, with particular creams formulated to match the specific strains on each person's skin. "Some people may have a lot of bad strains and no good strains, so the strategy for them may be to kill all the bad strains first and then apply the good ones," she said. For those who have a combination of good and bad strains, the probiotics could be designed to promote the good strains, she explained."

A bubble bath of good bacteria would be great!

Comment

Originally posted by spmcc View Post
      A bubble bath of good bacteria would be great!
      LOL

Imagine swabbing your face then getting a custom cream designed to meet your bacteria/antibacterial needs. Would do more for health and beauty than anything Loreal et al could come up with!

Comment

Great find. I really think this area of research will explode in the future and we'll be discovering how important bacteria are to humans for good health. We'll probably also discover how bad antibiotics are and how being too clean causes all sorts of problems (allergies, autoimmune issues, dry eyes?)

Comment

I was interested to discover that probiotic creams already exist, which potentially could be helpful for blepharitis and MGD. Also, may make treatment with doxycycline more effective. If patients take doxy over 50 mg then they are getting antibacterial effects, but killing off bad without replenishing good bacteria may be pointless. And although most patients undergoing antibiotic therapy know to take probiotics orally to replenish healthy bacteria in the gut, I don't know if this would effect microflora on the skin. Does anyone know?

In any event it makes sense to replenish the healthy bacteria topically.

https://www.biosbeauty.com/the-robus...s-thermophilus

"Certainly, the overall impact of the bacterium on skin disorders has been positively indicated. The same study mentioned above indicated that in the opinion of the researchers, s. thermophilus has a positively indicated clinical usage in anti-aging applications, as well as for healing and repairing skin conditions that are the result of a “defective synthesis of lipids”."

Comment

Working...
          X