Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the latest thinking on Omega 3's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the latest thinking on Omega 3's?

Has popular opinion amongst medical people changed in recent years? I've had some doctors tell me to try fish oil,some tell me flax seed oil, all with varying dosages. Just curious if anyone here has really looked at this and can attest to the effectiveness of each with dry eye? I've been told I have decent oil flow, but the consistency of my oil is not normal, and thus my lipid layer is not healthy. I tried BioTears several years ago and didn't notice any difference, but I'm tempted to give some form of Omega 3's another try.

I've used fish oil, flax oil, krill oil, Biotears, seabuckthorn oil, ...not sure how many different things. The only brand that works for me is TheraTears Nutrition, which is a balance of fish and flax oils. When my eyes weren't as dry as they are now, I took one capsule in the morning and one at night. Now I take two in the morning and two at night. You can take as many as 6 per day, but I personally find 4 to be a better balance. Fish oil alone did not work nor did flax alone, but there are people on this site who use Barlean's flax and swear by it. It doesn't work for me. It is like everything else with dry eye, you've just got to experiment and everyone has a different outcome. Sending good wishes. Hope you find something that works for you JJ.

Comment

Originally posted by LaDiva View Post
      I've used fish oil, flax oil, krill oil, Biotears, seabuckthorn oil, ...not sure how many different things. The only brand that works for me is TheraTears Nutrition, which is a balance of fish and flax oils. When my eyes weren't as dry as they are now, I took one capsule in the morning and one at night. Now I take two in the morning and two at night. You can take as many as 6 per day, but I personally find 4 to be a better balance. Fish oil alone did not work nor did flax alone, but there are people on this site who use Barlean's flax and swear by it. It doesn't work for me. It is like everything else with dry eye, you've just got to experiment and everyone has a different outcome. Sending good wishes. Hope you find something that works for you JJ.

Thanks LaDiva, I'll give one of those a try. How much do you think they help you?

Comment

You are welcome JJ. They help quite a bit. I ran out last month and didn't take them for two days. Ouch!

Comment

For me flax seed oil alone made all the difference. I started with one capsule a day for a couple of weeks then went to two and then three. I was scheduled to have my tear ducts cauterized and the doctor cancelled it when he saw me. For me it was a life saver. May not work for everyone but I was desperate. Glad I tried it. Been maybe 15 years now. Had dry eyes as a teenager and I am 70 now. Spent many a day and night wanting to remove my eyes it was so bad. Just work your way up to it to see if they agree with you and if you are one of the lucky ones you will be pleased.

Comment

I take 3 a day of the Theratears nutrition. I didn't not you could take more. I may increase my dose to 4 a day and see what happens. I know the bottle calls for 3 a day.

Comment

Alb, my eye doctor told me we could take up to 6 TheraTears Nutrition per day. Personally, six is too many for me, but four works well.

Comment

I wanted to ask you all how long it took you to notice an improvement after start flax or fish oil? I had a doctor tell me it usually takes about 6 months to see a difference.

Comment

Up! Other reviews on theratears omegas?

Comment

I take 3 to 4 1200 mg of fish oil per day. Have taken it about 2 months. Dont know if I would be worse without it ir not.

Comment

Working...
                    X