This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vitamin D - Great Results

Story of how I came to this treatment. History of the improvements.

**** READ **** THIS REALLY WORKS FOR ME****
    I have not posted in My Dry Eye Triumphs because I want to see long term results.

- A friend told me about a retired doctor who treated some diseases such as Sjogren's Syndrome and Multiple Sclerosis with Vitamin D. He told me to schedule a conversation with the doctor, why might solve my problem. I did not for 6 months, it sounds weird treatment with something so simple, I thought it was more of a charlatan like many here.

29/05/2013 - In this day, I was having lunch with my friend, and my eyes were bad, then he commented on the doctor and made a call to him. I talked to the doctor, he knew I had dry eye, my friend had told him, and then he asked me if I had Sjogren's syndrome. I said no, I told you I was a post-lasik patient and explained how it works. He asked me to call him after three days because he would study the case.

30/05/2013 - In the afternoon, this same doctor call me. He was very excited, saying he had researched on dry eye after lasik and that vitamin D could help me. He scheduled a discussion / consultation for the next day at 9 am.

31/05/2013 - I woke up, I did my ritual of dry eye, put the sunglasses and went to talk to the doctor. Arriving there, he gave me a mini-lecture on vitamin D and showed me the research on dry eye on vitamin D and explained the connections between the two and why he thought it would help me (I will present this information below) .
    The "consultation" lasted about two hours, he asked a few questions, noted my eyes and scheduled an examination to quantify the amount of vitamin D present in my blood for the next morning and asked me to pass on to his office take 20 pills of vitamin D and start treatment immediately after the examination. He did not charge me for the consultation and vitamin D.

01/06/2013 - I did the blood test, I took the capsules of vitamin D and started taking them (one after lunch). On the day, I felt nothing.

02/06/2013 - Friday I'm usually at home using pc with protective goggles and occasionally I will run. That day, I decided to watch the Brazil v England game without the glasses (in activities that require concentration, two hours was very unguarded for me). At the end of the game my eyes were burning a little and a little red.

03/06/2013 - The eyes have agreed a little better than normal, I have found strange because he had abused on Sunday. I followed the normal routine.

04/06/2013 - I woke up and ... damn, the eyes are white and without pain, what is it? I spent the day using less protective glasses and arrived at night as well, with only a nuisance in the eye.

05/06/2013 - I work for the justice of my country, that day I had to wake up 5a.m to take home a guy who beat his wife. Just to get an idea, I have no problem with the job, my concern was always the pain that would be to wake up early. The day before I went to sleep 1a.m to worsen the situation. To my surprise to wake up ... Where is the pain? Where is the red? I was taking the guy home with a smile on my face, rsrsrsr. Worse, of late I had to fetch a child suffering abuse, and get all these procedures without glasses and blink less due to atten required. To my amazement, I got the night with eyes wide and white. AWESOME. I went through stressful situations and without protective glasses and eyes were fine.

06-09 - I proceeded with the normal routine, I woke up and my eyes were fine. Spend the day WITHOUT GOGGLES now. I watched the game Brazil x France without my glasses.

10/06/2013 - First big test, walk 4 ½ hours in a mall with air conditioning on, no drops and no glasses. I left the mall with a nuisance in the eyes, but they were not red. An improvement of 6 points (0-10) for air conditioning), still remains hostile.

11/06/2013 - Today I woke up with eyes a bit red, but no pain. Blame my test with the air conditioner yesterday. However, after the routine care and eye drops, back to normal. If I did that before, would spend at least two days each with red eyes and aching. There was an improvement in that aspect.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________

Scientific basis presented and researched.
    Okay, the truth is that I have not researched much about it yet. I relied on the doctor showed me, but I will search more, always updating this topic. Any help is welcome.

Vitamin D (summary - For better understanding read the scientific paper pointed out here) - Used primarily to regulate our immune system in treatment. Our eyes (dry eye) are in a state of continuous inflammation why our defense cells produce inflammatory cytokines in the wrong way. Vitamin D acts on diminution of these inflammatory components, thereby reducing the pain and redness.

Inflammatory process - http://www.eyecareeducators.com/site...ye_disease.htm

Post-Lasik Dry eyes - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3235707/

Vitamin D and inflammation - http://www.thelancet.com/journals/la.../PIIS0140-6736 (13) 60527-9/abstract

There are many studies about vitamin D and other illnesses, but no linking it to dry eye.
    The scientific work presented by the doctor showed the role of vitamin D in inflammation talked about multiple sclerosis.

If anyone finds more sources or connections, please tell me to put in that introduction.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________

My conclusions

I think I still have dry eye but the inflammation has DRAMATICALLY LOWER, which greatly increased my quality of life.
    This month I will consult the ophthalmologist to test and TBUT Schimmer, post the results here when they leave.

for those who have dry eye due to AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES, I think it's worth reading a bit about the treatment and study. If anyone wants, I ask my doctor what you need.

Who has dry eye for any other reason, I think it's worth trying, at least it will give you more energy.

That's right, I'll try to update this topic gradually. Is very disorganized, I wrote it on the run and translate with google, I know it is bad.
    If anyone has any suggestions or find some article, I will updating here to keep everyone informed.

Hugs.

André
    Last edited by André Pereira; 12-Jun-2013, 16:57.

Great news Andre!

Thanks for posting and sharing your improvements.

I took 10.000 UI of vit D per day from March 1 to May 5. The vit D in my blood was 15 png/ml. After the 65 days taking it, it was 160! So I stooped taking it for a while.
    But I can't say I felt improvement. Maybe...
    Anyway, vit D is cheap and it is very important for health and usually people have low rates of it in the blood because of the modern world lifetyle.

Andre, eu acho que sei quem é o seu médico. Pela descrição da consulta deve ser o mesmo neurologista pesquisador que vi entrevistas na internet e que trata esclerose múltipla com vitamina D. Muito bom que você esteja tendo sucesso com o tratamento, e também que o médico tenha se interessado dessa forma pelo nosso problema.

abraço

Comment

André, me veio uma pergunta agora na cabeça.

Será se na próxima consulta você consegue saber com ele qual o nível de vit D no sangue que ele acha que deve haver para ter a melhora nos olhos num caso como esse (o seu, ou o "nosso)? Seria bom pra ter uma idéia.

Hi Andre,
      Is it possible for you to ask the doctor abot the level of vit D in the bood to get improvement in a case like yours (or "ours")w
      thenks!

Comment

Bakunin

I asked the doctor about the amount of vitamin D that u are taking, and he said it is wrong. He even gave a look here in the forum.
        Perguntei ao médico sobre a quantidade de vitamina D que vc esta tomando, e ele disse que está errado. Ele até deu uma olhada aqui no fórum.

If you want to move the email it, anything you send me a PM or email.
        Se quiser passo o e-mail dele, qualquer coisa me manda uma MP ou e-mail.

Comment

can you please share the amount of vitamin you are taking? And if possible the brand of those vitamins? there exists vitamin D council which recommends quite large doses (at least larger than are usual).

Comment

Kylix

I am taking 40,000 ui per day. I'm at this dose for 2 months after that I will do more tests and further consultation with the doctor.

I buy the capsules in a compounding pharmacy trusted here. If I were buying, I would choose the site Vitacost.com. I always bought supplements there seem to be quality.

Bakunin, your dose of 10.000ui is very weak, so maybe it did not feel much effect on the eyes.

After the initial period with a higher dosage, the tendency is to decrease the dose. How much will stop, is still an incognita even to the doctor. Sclerosis patients, for example, maintains a dose of 60.000ui.

IMPORTANT

Vitamin D3 promotes calcium absorption, can influence the accumulation of the substance in the arteries. You need supplementation with vitamin k2 to balance it. It is also recommended to avoid dairy products or calcium-rich foods. I bought my K2 here http://www.vitacost.com/jarrow-formulas-mk-7

Comment

huh...I wonder if this will help me.
              I have very low levels of vitamin d....I was told to take 6,000 iu per day....but i havent been taking it
              I wonder if it'll help me if i stick witth it..

Comment

Andre; that is a very high dose. But exciting its working.
                i can't get that dose without a doctors prescription. I need to convince my doctor.
                Do you have any specific articles your doctor can share?
                I am vitamin d deficient and only take 1000iu a day.

thank you.
                http://www.hymntime.com/tch/htm/a/l/l/t/allthings.htm

Comment

I have ran some blood tests recently and also discovered that I'm very low in vitamin D.
                  So I found this page: http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/. You must buy some subscription, but some basic feeling about current research etc. you can get there even without that subscription. They recommend 5,000 IU/day (which is much more than others). 10,000 IU/day is their recommended upper level. I remember reading somewhere there that you can take up to 50,000 IU/day at the beginning and then lower it to recommended values (similar to Andre's approach).

But they also mention you should have other cofactors to properly absorb vitamin D: Vitamin K (K1, K2), zinc, boron, magnesium. See: http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about...-and-minerals/

There are some supplements which contain them, but they are more costy. I ordered http://www.biotechpharmacal.com/catalog/d3plus/ , now waiting for it to come, took almost 2 weeks to get into Europe (now on customs), hopefully will see some results.

Comment

Yes i have read 40000 isn't toxic for a few days but only if taken daily for months. But couldn't find anything related to eyes.

thanks for sharing kylix. not sure if they ship to Australia. i will do more of a hunt.
                    i don't think it can hurt to try and wats a few dollars in the search for comfort.
                    Hope it works for u.
                    http://www.hymntime.com/tch/htm/a/l/l/t/allthings.htm

Comment

I suppose they ship to any country, no problem to small Europe country.
                      I don't think there is much relation to eyes, but it should affect immune system significantelly (at least deficiency should) and it can then improve/worsen dry eye (or blepharitis)

Comment

Originally posted by kylix View Post
                        but it should affect immune system significantelly (at least deficiency should)
                        This seems to be true for me - a few years ago, I started taking vit D - I took 4000IU per day for 3 mo, then decreased to 2000 IU and have been taking that ever since - prior to taking the Vit D, I used to get horribly sick several times per year with really nasty cold/flu viruses that were ridiculously bad compared to most people I knew (they'd drag on for at least 2 weeks, sometimes 3 and did not respond to cold medication that you could buy over-the-counter) - since taking vit D, I get sick with a cold/flu once per year at most, and it tends to be very mild (medication actually works now!!!) and short-lived (maybe an ave. of 4 days duration)

Could be a coincidence of course, but I'm thrilled with the change.

I have never done any bloodwork to see what my vit. D levels are - a long time ago, I did order a test from the vitamindcouncil.org site that Kylix mentioned, but the lancing device they sent hurt my finger so much (I'm a wimp!), and I couldn't get enough blood out from the one prick, and was too scared to repeat it on another finger that I never did end up sending it away to get my result haha

Comment

Kylix, thank you for complementation. You guys are great.

The doctor was very clear, LOWER DOSES WILL NOT HELP. It might help to give energy, fight colds, but will not help the eyes.

For those who want to talk to the doctor, here's his personal e-mail.
                          wpires@wpires.com.br
                          Wanderley Pires

Mention my name and the forum, it will likely respond. Any information obtained, please to post here.
                          Who is trying, give advise one conversed with him before.

IMPORTANT: To complement the information given by Kylix.
                          There are some cofactors that help in the absorption and action of vitamin D really. It was recommended that I ingested the following supplements.

Colina (Bitartarato) C9H19NO7 ...................... 120mg (I do not know the name in English)
                          Magnesium ............................................... 100mg
                          Riboflavin ................................................. 30mg
                          Zinc .................................................. ...... 05mg
                          Folic Acid ................................................ 3 mg ..
                          Vitamin b12 ................................................ .5 micrograms
                          Picolinato de cromo ..................................... 250 micrograms (I do not know the name in English)
                          Selenium .................................................. . 200 micrograms
                          QSP .................................................. ....... 1 dose

As I already supplement with OPTI-MEN due to strength training, did not have to buy anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by vivian3090 View Post
                            huh...I wonder if this will help me.
                            I have very low levels of vitamin d....I was told to take 6,000 iu per day....but i havent been taking it
                            I wonder if it'll help me if i stick witth it..
                            Vivian3090, I think it costs the attempt. I saw in your profile that you are a patient post Lasik, I believe that will help. Vitamin D regulates the production of inflammatory cytokines (an adjustment in the immune system) decreasing the inflammation.

Comment

Originally posted by soaps View Post
                              Yes i have read 40000 isn't toxic for a few days but only if taken daily for months. But couldn't find anything related to eyes.

thanks for sharing kylix. not sure if they ship to Australia. i will do more of a hunt.
                              i don't think it can hurt to try and wats a few dollars in the search for comfort.
                              Hope it works for u.
                              Soaps. Send an email to Dr. Wanderley explaining the situation. I think he can help you convince a doctor of your country to release the prescription. The articles that I have at hand, I posted up there. As said earlier, in small doses, will not help.
                              To buy vitamin D, I know the following sites: vitacost.com / Bodybuilding.com / iherb.com / healthdesigns.com / samedaysupplements.com /
                              I think some of them sent to your country.

Comment

Working...
                              X