Flax Seed Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flax Seed Oil

I was wondering how much flax seed oil most people take each day?

I haven't had any advice about dosage - I originally just surfed the net and found an article about flax seed oil's benefits for some dry eye sufferers.

My pack of flax seed capsules says each capsule contains 1000mg of oil. It suggests 4-6 capsules per day but I haven't been taking this many. It seems a lot!

I'm also taking 1 x Omega 3 pure fish oil capsule a day (1000mg) and 1 x vitamin B6 tablet.

JoolzB

Hey there,
    I have been seeing a nutrionist since my whole Lasik disaster and she has had me on 6 tablets of flaxseed oil daily (6000 mgs). I do know if you are taking flax seed you don't have to take fish oil though. it's one or the other..they are basically the same thing...and trust me (!) the flax seed tastes a whole lot better!

She also has me taking 6 multi-vitamins from GNC, one vitamin A (10,000 IU), two vitamin B's, six vitamin C's, two E's, and 3 Bilberry, plus a garlic tablet.
    Plus, water, water, water.

I know it sounds like a lot, but each vitamin supposedly helps with your eyes and the stress level we are all under. I would recommend seeing a nutrionist yourself and see what they tell you as well.

Good luck!

Comment

You probably won't find any hard and fast rules about dosages. I take a scant tablespoon of Udo's Oil www.udoerasmus.com every day. It needs refrigeration so if I'm travelling I take TheraTears Nutrition at the recommended dosage on the bottle. In my opinion, the quality of the supplement is very important. Carlson Labs makes a good fish oil supplement. Again, follow the recommended dosage.

I've learned that some supplements go rancid rather quickly. Flaxseed oil and fish oil supplements smell pretty bad when they are kept too long or if they are of poor quality.

Your doctor should be able to help you settle on a brand and dosage. At any rate, you should always let your doctors know what you are taking and how much.
      Cindy

"People may not always remember exactly what you said or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel." ~ Unknown

Comment

Flax Seed Oil Recipe

This is my first posting, as I just joined this site yesterday.
        I have been using Flax Seed Oil in my morning shake and it's delicious! As you all know, Flax Seed is more effective in it's liquid form and 1 tblsp of flax seed oil is the equivilant to about 10 capsules but if you've ever tried liquid Flax Seed Oil it tastes horrible. My opthamologist recommended this shake recipe that I absolutely love and I have it every morning. Here it is:

2 cups milk (I use soy milk)
        1 banana
        1 - 2 scoops Spirutein Protein Powder (you can buy at any GNC or organic food store. It comes in vanilla, chocolate and strawberry and I like the strawberry best)
        1 - 2 tblsp Flax Seed Oil (I use an organic brand from Whole Foods but GNC also has their own brand)
        Ice
        2 tblsp wheat germ (this is optional but it makes the shake a more heartier meal)

Mix in blender and enjoy!
        Kim

Comment

Hi Kim! Welcome to Dry Eye Talk! Thanks so much for posting the shake recipe. I'm going to try it. I'd planned to go to Whole Foods tomorrow morning so the timing is great.
          Cindy

"People may not always remember exactly what you said or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel." ~ Unknown

Comment

My husband and I really enjoy Kim's breakfast shake recipe. It's delicious just as she said. I know, I know...I'm in total shock that my husband likes it.

Seems as though this shake has everything in it: vitamins, minerals, soy protein, EFAs, amino acids, fiber etc. Calories roughly per serving are 295 (the way I made it). We've been splitting the recipe between us as it makes quite a bit.

The brands and amounts I've tried are:

2C. Silk Plain Soy Milk
            1 scoop Nature's Plus SPIRU-TEIN High Protein Energy Meal, Strawberry flavor;
            1 med. banana
            1T. Barlean's Flax Oil
            and
            2T. raw wheat germ

Price I paid:

SPIRU-TEIN- $18.95/canister = 16 scoops
            Barlean's Flax Oil- $7.95 for an 8 oz. bottle
            raw wheat germ- $1.39/lb.
            Cindy

Comment

Originally posted by Cindy
              SPIRU-TEIN- $18.95/canister = 16 scoops
              Barlean's Flax Oil- $7.95 for an 8 oz. bottle
              raw wheat germ- $1.39/lb.
              I am so glad you liked it! So where did you get your Spirutein? The cheapest I've found is at Vitaminshoppe.com for $28.35 for a 2 pound canister. Also let me know about the other ingredients as well, as I've been using Wheat Germ from the brand Kretschmer and it's $4.00 for a 12 oz jar!
              Thanks!

Comment

I bought the Spiru-Tein at a health food store (Good Food Co.). It's the 1.2 lb size. However, I saw the 2 lb size in a different health food store (The Better Health Store) today for $26. At The Better Health Store online, it is available for $24.94. http://www.thebetterhealthstore.com/...=&sort=&page=5

I bought the raw wheat germ at Good Food Co. in the fruit and vegetable section. I bought a dollar's worth which is a good sized container. Raw wheat germ expires much sooner than the Kretschmer's. It's good for about 5-6 months kept refrigerated. I used it today seasoned with rosemary and sea salt as a coating to oven fry boneless chicken breasts. It was delicious.
                Cindy

Comment

Working...
                X