Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone get better using diet? How long to see results?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone get better using diet? How long to see results?

Hey everyone!

So the last week and a half, I have been trying to eliminate any real inflammatory foods from my diet and kind of go low sugar. I am sort of following the "Eat to Live" plan but still eating lean meats and low fruit. I have been struggling to keep from cheating and feel like I may have improved minimally? I am not sure..

I just feel deprived, i guess thats part of the detox. It feels like just another thing "I can't do because of my eyes"

I am just curious and hopeful people can tell me they are better on the anti-inflammatory low sugar diet, and how long will it take, IF it does work?

Thanks friends. I NEED some encouragement!

It can take some time. When I started a 4-day rotation elimination diet I began to see results in about 1 month. The most obvious effect was on my complexion which cleared up considerably. Just yesterday, a dear friend commented said, "Your skin looks so good." This friend used to spend a lot of time with me taking me to various doctors, driving as much as 8 hours in a day to and from Miami.

When I started the diet, the company that did the food sensitivity testing (Alcat) provided counseling. What I recall is that it takes the body 3-9 months to replace itself i.e. many cells in your body die off and are replaced by new cells. The skin has a 30 day cycle. Once you hit those milestones, you can begin to replace some of the foods, but you have to proceed slowly and cautiously because you don't want to go backwards. And some foods, like sugar, you may continue to avoid or only consume in small quantities rarely.

Eliminating sugar for me was never a problem. I don't like foods that are very sweet but I think that may be because after not consuming sugary foods for a while a small amount of sweetness can taste very sweet. And, best not to use artificial sweeteners for a host of reasons, one is that they can impact the lacrimal gland.

But you can do it. You can get very creative in the kitchen and you will find foods that are safe and you can enjoy thoroughly. And experiment with herbs to add flavor if they are allowed. Taragon, for me very yummy, for example.

Comment

Thank you for the reply. I was eating a lot of fruit which I think was to much sugar as my skin and lids kept getting more angry. So I think it's best for me ( I have ocular rosacea) to go low carb, low sugar! I don't think lean meats are a trigger for me anyway.. I haven't been doing this long, I keep cheating I hope to have some success because I know my eye problems are from my skin.

Comment

You have good understanding. Yes, lots of fruit = lots of sugar and it is not good for your skin and your meibomian glands which are a type of sebaceous gland. The process that produces oil in the skin glands and meibomian glands is essentially the same.

Comment

The only thing is what's the deal with eggs? Are they ok, or is that a no?

Comment

I tried an anti inflammatory diet for four months but didn't seem to do much. However I am not doing it now and feel I am actually getting worse so in hindsight maybe it was helping. I had not thought about the fruit and sugar connection. I was eating a lot of fruit especially rasberries etc as I thought they were anti inflammatory. I was trying to follow Dr Langes recommendations. However it does take all the pleasure out of life as I love puddings lol !

Comment

Some say yes, some say no, about eggs. I tested with sensitivity for egg yolks so I permit egg whites and have not yet begun to add the yolks back into my diet.

Comment

It's really crazy how many foods you think are "safe" but are not. I was on an anti-inflam diet a year ago but stopped after a couple of months because it was hard and I didn't think it was helping. BUT I really don't think I was doing it right. I would eat "gluten free" oats and pastas. Rice, lots of fruit. Cheat sometimes. Also look for sugars in weird things like my Vit D pills are "melts" and when I looked they have sugar in them! Duh no wonder they tasted so good. There was a user on her named Sazy that got better with diet I think. She posted a few months ago but didn't get into too much detail. I think she said it took her 8 months. Also double check your flax/fish oil. I was taking Flax oil for a month and recently found out it didn't have any DHA in it! ERR and it tasted horrible! Now I found a supplement that does.

Comment

I know exactly what you mean, some sites say fruit is okay, some don't? What I am going to try to do is low carb, low sugar.. I am the same way, I always cheat or "give up" on a bad day! I am talking to this woman on here ( I won't give names just incase) but she recovered pretty much fully after one year doing Dr. Furhmans eat to live plan. She said she used to use artificial tears every five minutes now doesn't at all! She said she still needs restasis but that's it. She said no more redness or dryness! This plan is more lots of vegetables and fruits. I don't know which way to go?

P.s how are you doing on restasis now? I know when you tried it before you said it was hell lol

Comment

How long before she noticed a difference and what was her diagnosis? I've been on restasis for one week now, 2x a day. It's going ok I guess. It doesnt burn when it goes in and I think I am tolerating it better now.

Comment

She said she didn't think so much about her eyes at month three but still had symptoms. She said it took about a year to recover.. She had SJS and ocular rosacea. She used alrex and restasis for four years with no real relief until she did eat to live. Now she only uses restasis. She said it was a miracle, and is such a nice lady. I would be ecstatic to go into remission, I literally would do anything!

Comment

i think the key is to really limit the carbs, like rice, any type of bread, pasta ect. Eat a lot of veggies, lean meats and fish. This will be hard especially come Christmas time. I do find though, if I eat salad for dinner and have a small peice of fruit for "desert" lol if you can even call it that lol my eyes are less red and irritated the next day. If I have a high fat dinner and have rice too, the next day I am putting tears in every twenty minutes.

I haven't gone on long enough without cheating or quitting to really say whether it works or not! Glad you are getting along with the restasis well. I still struggle using it, but i do. Some days I skip it though if I have a bad morning or my eyes will be red looking all day. Maybe you can tolerate it now because of the lipiflow?! That could be a good sign...

Comment

Yea, I agree the carbs are the worst. But I think meat is very inflammatory also. I just bought these tasty salmon burgers from Costo that have over 1000 mg of Omega 3 each. I don't think the lipiflow has helped with the restasis. The doc said it might take lipiflow 6 weeks to help. So far nothing though. I think I quit restasis after 3 months last time…maybe less though…so I'm going to give it the whole 6 this time. How long have you been on it?

Comment

i go off and on it all the time. lol I have been on it again for 2.5 months. I am unsure if it really does anything. My problem is more my lids though so maybe thats why it doesnt provide much relief. I do find my eyes look worse on it though (lots of veins). My doctor is very pro restasis though, so i have to stay on it at least 1 time per day he said. The most I have given it is 5 months. My doctor said my problem is not allergies but Pataday gives me a lot of relief, I think allergies play a role in mine.

Do you find your eyes look more veiny on it?

Comment

Um….I'm not sure. I have a couple large veins in my left eye and some small ones in my right that kinda come and go. I mean, they are always there but sometimes they look worse (dry conditions, ac, etc) and sometimes better (humidity)

Comment

Working...
                              X