High carb diet results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High carb diet results

Hey everyone! For the past two weeks I have been trying a high carb, raw food diet.. I THOUGHT due to all the vitamins and minerals I was ingesting, I would start to heal..

My lids are now soo inflamed I had to use lotemax twice today (which I usually never have to do) I am going back to low carb, low sugar...

I think it was the high amount of fruit that caused the flare up, as I was doing okay before the diet ...

Anyone else have this experience??

I have MGD and dry eye from it ....possibly from rosacea although my face is pretty good

I actually eat a ton of fruit and veggies as part of my diet... no noticeable negative effects.
    32/M ATD • Getting better every day!

Comment

Faith, I must be very careful about everything I eat. I made some gluten free cookies with no sugar. They contained bananas and the next morning the inside of my eyelids were really inflamed. Bummer. I don't know why, or how this happens, but I guess for some of us it does. If I can figure out how to go vegetarian and still get enough protein without the dairy, I probably will.

Comment

I guess I just can't do a lot of sugar I haven't changed anything else except my diet! So can you eat fruit or no?! I am slowly learning the more sugar I eat... The redder I get!!

Hopefully others on here share their experiences too.

Comment

Faith, I've started to follow the diet plan detailed in The Immune System Recovery Plan by Susan Blum M.D. Mainly cutting out sugar, gluten and dairy. I did think about following the autoimmune paleo protocol but then looking at the list of allowed foods I'd be forever hungry and I knew I'd never stick to it. I live in a small town where every other person is on a raw food diet and there are a few organic food shops a couple minutes walk from my door so I have no excuse to my boyfriend's rocky road squares that are sitting right next to me! I will let you know how I get on.

Comment

I notice that a lot of sugar makes my eyes worse. It also makes my facial rosacea flare up a little too.

Comment

Hi Faith,

Sugar makes me seriously ill, aside from honey and coconut oil. I avoid all other forms of sugar, especially fructose syrup which is in most juices and juice altogether, although sometimes I crave pomegranite juice.

I recently updated my post about B2 vitamin deficiency, which causes bloodshot eyes, new vessel growth in eyes, and dry itchy, inflamed skin. Not sure if you've seen it, but do you take a Vitamin B Complex supplement?

Click image for larger version

Name:	riboflavin.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	155757

Logan x

Comment

Yes I take vitamin b2 !! Umm do you avoid fruit too? I'm assuming not since you are a vegetarian?

Comment

Originally posted by Faith1989 View Post
                  I have MGD and dry eye from it ....possibly from rosacea although my face is pretty good
                  You may have seen this already, but the National Rosacea Society has listed triggers for (facial) rosacea. They created this list from patient histories and questionnaires: http://www.rosacea.org/patients/materials/triggers.php

I steer clear of fruit, especially citrus, tomato, avocado, banana, dried... also cheese, yogurt, ugh, the list goes on and on! I have very definite, almost immediate reactions (mostly flushing) to certain foods (I guess I'm lucky?). Unfortunately, some foods are delicious and sometimes I can't/don't stop myself.

When I combined lists of food triggers from a number of reputable resources (including Frank Powell's book Rosacea: Diagnosis and Managment), I had a difficult time finding things I *could* eat. I had a number of people look over my list and finally we saw that carbs (bread, pasta, and sugar!), meats/fish (excluding aged, cured, canned, smoked, pickled, treated etc.), some veggies (broccoli, carrots, brussel sprouts, etc.) *weren't* on the trigger list.

Here's my combined list:

Food triggers:
                  • Liver
                  • Yogurt, kefir, buttermilk, sour cream
                  • Cheese (except cottage cheese)
                  • Chocolate, vanilla, cinnamon, peppermint
                  • Soy sauce, miso, tempeh
                  • Yeast extract (bread is OK)
                  • Vinegar (mayo, salad dressing, marinades, condiments, ketchup, mustard, pickles, relish, olives)
                  • Eggplant
                  • Spinach
                  • Mushrooms
                  • Avocado
                  Fermented foods: cheeses (esp aged), yogurt/kefir, red wine, soy sauce, sauerkraut etc.
                  • Broad-leaf beans and pods, including lima, pinto, fava, navy and peas
                  • Citrus fruits, tomato, banana, grapes, red plums, raisins and figs
                  Nightshades: potato (not sweet), tomato, eggplant, sweet and hot pepper (including paprika, cayenne pepper and Tabasco sauce)
                  Foods high in histamine: eggplant, spinach, aged/fermented foods (cheese, alcohol, sausage, soy products), tofu and canned fish
                  Foods that stimulate the release of histamine: banana, tomato, strawberries, pineapple, nuts, shellfish, raw egg whites, chocolate
                  • Alcohol, caffeine
                  • Spicy or thermally hot foods
                  Food additives: MSG, nitrites (cured or smoked or processed deli meats, hot dogs, bacon, sausage), sulfites (wine, dried fruit, shrimp)
                  Of course, it's more difficult for people to figure out their triggers if their reaction isn't (almost) immediate. I kept a food diary along with a symptom diary. It helped but was time-consuming.
                  Last edited by spmcc; 21-Jan-2014, 19:49. Reason: added combined list

Comment

That was very kind of you to post this! I feel stupid eating so much fruit sugar I know that's what it has to be.. I also searched and have seen some members have gotten better after low carb (like sagg) I'm gunna try to cut out as much sugar as I can.. I'm already craving a banana.. I won't do it tho lol it's not worth it . I just suffered through work with a red ring around my eye funny thing is my face doesn't look bad at all, you wouldn't even know I had rosacea (I do though) but my eyes are a different story!

Comment

spmcc, I can't seem to eat meat, with the exception of chicken and turkey. Do you find that red meat and pork bother you? Faith, I can eat a few fruits. Asian pears, regular pears, apples and organic raisins (re-hydrated and rinsed). Anything with sugar is a disaster, but one of these days I am going to eat a really HUGE chocolate truffle, and suffer the price.

Comment

Originally posted by LaDiva View Post
                        spmcc, I can't seem to eat meat, with the exception of chicken and turkey. Do you find that red meat and pork bother you? Faith, I can eat a few fruits. Asian pears, regular pears, apples and organic raisins (re-hydrated and rinsed). Anything with sugar is a disaster, but one of these days I am going to eat a really HUGE chocolate truffle, and suffer the price.
                        I haven't eaten "mammal" since ~1982 so I can't answer about red meat and pork. I stick with chicken, turkey and fish - very plain. I still have lots of flares (flushing) though. It's so difficult to figure out everything that causes problems and even *more* difficult to cut out things that are delicious and should be good for you (fruits and veg esp).

Comment

I am so incredibly mentally and physically exhausted from my mgd that if someone told me I would feel better if I just ate chicken for the rest of my life, I would start buying it in bulk.

Thank you so much for the responses on here.. I appreciate everyone taking the time to state at a screen to reply .

Comment

Thanks spmcc and Faith. It appears that by neccessity, I am now also non-mammal.

Comment

It's so individual. I kept a food and symptom diary for more than 6 months. Some things are CLEAR (red wine: duh!, citrus: yep!, Indian food: whoa!) and some things are still a mystery. And it's not like a "regular" allergy because I still react to things after I've taken an antihistamine. There's something else going on... I hope someone figures it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X