Vegan Flax Seed Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vegan Flax Seed Oil

Hi I've noticed benefits while taking the regular flax seed oil but its giving me a terrible aftertaste and makes my stomach feel queezy (im guessing because of the fishiness).

My question is...is vegan flax seed oil the same as the non-vegan flaxseed oil, in terms of providing the same benefits?

Also, does anyone know wehre I can purchase flaxseed oil pills with a lower dosage than the 1,000mg?

Anyone? I can't believe there are no vegans in here who can contribute

Comment

I don't understand the question. Flaxseed oil shouldn't taste like fish because it comes from a plant. The only part of a flaxseed "pill" that might not be vegan is the capsule itself which is probably made of gelatin.

Comment

Don't think I can really offer any advice - sorry! I'm mostly vegan (sometimes vegetarian) but don't know what to recommend regarding flaxseed oil. I'm taking the oil and haven't seen any improvement in my eyes. Maybe the capsules are better? As spmcc says, flaxseed pills don't come from fish but if you're vegan (or vegetarian) you'll want to avoid those made from gelatin.

Thinking about it, there is a slight strange taste to the flaxseed oil I take. Maybe it could be described as slightly fishy? I haven't had fish for years so can't be sure. I just swallow it quickly like any medicine that doesn't taste great.

I don't know if fish oils might be better for the eye issues but really hope flaxseed is as good. I do take medicine even if it isn't vegan/vegetarian but always prefer not to if there's an alternative.

Comment

I'm a vegan with Dry Eye Syndrome and there are two different Flaxseed Oil supplements that I use alternately: Barlean's Pomegranate Blueberry Total Omega 3-6-9 Vegan Swirl (which contains fresh pressed Flaxseed Oil, pure Borage Oil and plant-based DHA) and Barlean's Blackberry Omega Swirl Omega-3 Flax Oil Supplement. Both are 100% vegan and liquids. The first one (Total Omega) recommends 1 tablespoon daily for adults and the second (Omega Swirl) recommends 1-2 tablespoons daily for adults. I use one until it's used up and then switch to the other one, back and forth. I find it in the refrigerated case of the vitamin section at Whole Foods in the U.S. They are not cheap. The Total Omega runs about $30.00+ U.S. and the Omega Swirl runs about $20.00+ U.S., both in 16 ounce bottles. I believe I'm getting some benefit, though not absolutely positive (may be just psychological). Both have a very pleasant taste, as the descriptions in their titles suggest (pomegranate, blueberry & blackberry).
          Last edited by BlueAboutRed; 31-Aug-2014, 12:09.

Comment

Thank you all for the response! Yes, apparently the nature made flaxseed oil I have at home smells totally fishy! eck. and is definitely making me feel sick after taking them.

Thanks Blueaboutred! A friend had actually just recommended the flaxseed liquids you mentioned! I will pick up a bottle for sure and see how I like it

Comment

Originally posted by BlueAboutRed View Post
              I'm a vegan with Dry Eye Syndrome and there are two different Flaxseed Oil supplements that I use alternately: Barlean's Pomegranate Blueberry Total Omega 3-6-9 Vegan Swirl (which contains fresh pressed Flaxseed Oil, pure Borage Oil and plant-based DHA) and Barlean's Blackberry Omega Swirl Omega-3 Flax Oil Supplement. Both are 100% vegan and liquids. The first one (Total Omega) recommends 1 tablespoon daily for adults and the second (Omega Swirl) recommends 1-2 tablespoons daily for adults. I use one until it's used up and then switch to the other one, back and forth. I find it in the refrigerated case of the vitamin section at Whole Foods in the U.S. They are not cheap. The Total Omega runs about $30.00+ U.S. and the Omega Swirl runs about $20.00+ U.S., both in 16 ounce bottles. I believe I'm getting some benefit, though not absolutely positive (may be just psychological). Both have a very pleasant taste, as the descriptions in their titles suggest (pomegranate, blueberry & blackberry).
              So I was able to get my hands on some omega swirl today. Other than gaining some benefit for your dry eye, do you feel it providing any other benefits?

By the way, tastes great! So far so good!

Comment

Originally posted by chella21279 View Post
                So I was able to get my hands on some omega swirl today. Other than gaining some benefit for your dry eye, do you feel it providing any other benefits?

By the way, tastes great! So far so good!
                As a strict vegan, I believe I'm benefitting from the Omega-3's in these products that I may not be getting elsewhere due to my dietary choice/lifestyle. I can't definitively say I noticed anything outwardly different since using them. I just believe in the science that these are beneficial to my health and well-being and I also am trying anything and everything I can to reduce or eliminate my dry eye syndrome. Sorry it took so long to respond - still trying to get the hang of how to be notified when there are responses to a thread I follow or to one of my posts.

Comment

As a strict vegan, I believe I'm benefitting from the Omega-3's in these products that I may not be getting elsewhere due to my dietary choice/lifestyle. I can't definitively say I noticed anything outwardly different since using them. I just believe in the science that these are beneficial to my health and well-being and I also am trying anything and everything I can to reduce or eliminate my dry eye syndrome. Sorry it took so long to respond - still trying to get the hang of how to be notified when there are responses to a thread I follow or to one of my posts.
                  No worries on the delay in response. I appreciate you chiming in! Thanks, makes sense. I haven't been consistently taking it but I guess I'll have to just see for myself.

Comment

Originally posted by chella21279 View Post
                    No worries on the delay in response. I appreciate you chiming in! Thanks, makes sense. I haven't been consistently taking it but I guess I'll have to just see for myself.
                    You're welcome, Chella. Just FYI, I take 2 tablespoons a day of the Total Omega 3-6-9 Vegan Swirl when I'm using it (1 tablespoon 12 hours apart, even though it recommends 1 tablespoon a day total for adults) and I take 2 tablespoons a day of the Omega-3 Flax Oil Supplement when I'm using it (1 tablespoon 12 hours apart; it recommends 1-2 tablespoons a day for adults, that's kind of why I also take 2 tablespoons a day of the 3-6-9 Vegan Swirl).

I'm also taking vegetarian liquid phyto-caps twice a day. They're by Gaia Herbs: "System Support, Vision Enhancement, Promotes healthy vision". They contain Bilberry berry, Grape Seed, Lutein & Astaxanthin. Other ingredients are Ascorbic acid, vegetable glycerin and vegetable cellulose (capsule - keeping it vegan). My girlfriend started taking these when her optometrist found early signs of macular degeneration in her eyes. They have helped her with it, in that it has not gotten worse and even seems to have improved according to her doctor. I showed them (the bottle) to my ophthalmologist to get his opinion on me taking them and he said they were fine. I figure every little bit helps in some way.

Comment

You're welcome, Chella. Just FYI, I take 2 tablespoons a day of the Total Omega 3-6-9 Vegan Swirl when I'm using it (1 tablespoon 12 hours apart, even though it recommends 1 tablespoon a day total for adults) and I take 2 tablespoons a day of the Omega-3 Flax Oil Supplement when I'm using it (1 tablespoon 12 hours apart; it recommends 1-2 tablespoons a day for adults, that's kind of why I also take 2 tablespoons a day of the 3-6-9 Vegan Swirl).

I'm also taking vegetarian liquid phyto-caps twice a day. They're by Gaia Herbs: "System Support, Vision Enhancement, Promotes healthy vision". They contain Bilberry berry, Grape Seed, Lutein & Astaxanthin. Other ingredients are Ascorbic acid, vegetable glycerin and vegetable cellulose (capsule - keeping it vegan). My girlfriend started taking these when her optometrist found early signs of macular degeneration in her eyes. They have helped her with it, in that it has not gotten worse and even seems to have improved according to her doctor. I showed them (the bottle) to my ophthalmologist to get his opinion on me taking them and he said they were fine. I figure every little bit helps in some way.
                      Yes every bit sure helps! Thanks for sharing. See my problem is not being able to tolerate many pills. I have a very weak stomach and I'm very sensitive to everything. The omega swirl caused a bit of tummy ache for me hence why I haven't been taking it regularly

Even with fish oil my body seems to reject most of it. I remember taking a fish oil supplement (non vegan) and my muscles throughout my entire body started twitching. I couldn't even sleep. I then went to see the doctor and he told me to stop taking them immediately. Once I stopped the twitching stopped soon thereafter.

Comment

Working...
                      X