• Show
Clear All

• Omega 3 side effects

I have been taking BioTears since the beginning of January
    and feel they help my eyes. But for the last 3 weeks I have
    been experiencing indigestion. I have read several articles
    stating this can be a side effect of Omega 3s. Has anyone
    else experienced this or offer advice?

From what I have read and what I have been told, some brands of Omega 3's are more, upsetting, than others. I took Twin Labs Supermax EPA. Never had a problem. Some people suggest keeping the caps in the freezer and taking them frozen.
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

I have a question, is Flaxseed oil better than Fish Oil for MGD? Is it OK to take them at the same time?

Comment

People vary a lot in their tolerance of Omega 3 supplements, particularly fish oils. Some people cannot take fish oils at all. So sometimes it just takes experimentation to see what you can tolerate.

Yes, fish and flaxseed oil can be taken at the same time and in fact some products blend the two to make it more convenient - including TheraTears Nutrition (fish and flaxseed oil) and Barleans Total Omega (fish, flaxseed and borage).

I don't believe anyone can say for sure whether fish oil or flaxseed oil is best for dry eye. Some doctors say fish, some say flax, some say both, some say borage. Personally I believe it's just down to individual differences.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Isis, I have noticed that when I take flax oil, it upsets my digestion and gives me gas. I seem to do fine with fish oils, though. Everybody's different, but for me, flax oil didn't work out.

Calli

Comment

Flax Seed Oil

Do you get the same results from flax seeds as the flax seed oil? I really don't know. It could make a difference for those with an intolerance to the oil. You will need a small grinder and you sprinkle the ground seeds on cereal, toast, in casseroles -- really, in just about anything. They're virtually tasteless and therefore do not alter the taste of the food.

Comment

I don't know if flax seeds have the same effect--have never tried them. I bought some flaxseed meal to bake with, but was hesitant to try it. Do you think the seed or meal is less concentrated, and less troublesome?

Calli

Comment

I really couldn't say, but here is a direct quote from altcancer.com that may clarify for you:

"Most health food stores sell flax oil. The most prominent name in the U.S. and Canada is Barlean's Organic Flax Oil. We shy away from recommending flax oil (though we could easily carry it), because flax has many other important nutrients besides the fat (41%). It has a healthy helping of dietary fiber (28%), an amino acid pattern similar to soy (21%), ash (4%), and carbohydrates (6%) -- the last of which includes phenolic acids, lignins, and hemicellulose -- not to mention important vitamins and minerals (see table). Why throw all that nutrition away? (Note: Barlean's and other vendors now extract some of the crucial lignans as well as sell a "High Lignan Flaxseed Oil" - but, again, why not take the full nutrition of the whole food?)"

The fiber that comes in the seed may actually help you with digestion.

Comment

I think whole flaxseed is a great option. IMHO, the thing about flax (and other supplements) has a lot to do with how much tolerance you have for certain things - including hassle factor and change to diet. We live in a culture of convenience and supplementing with pills/capsules is kind of a way of life these days.

You know the old rule of thumb about vegetables... "fresh is better than frozen is better than canned... is better than none"? I'd be tempted to say "whole flax is better than liquid flaxseed oil is better than softgels is better than none".
                  Rebecca Petris
                  The Dry Eye Foundation
                  dryeyefoundation.org
                  800-484-0244

Comment

I have no problem taking high doses of either Fish or Flaxseed Oil. I have tried taking both seperately. I suppose I will take them together now, seeing that I have never had a problem.

Comment

Hemp Oil

Has anyone tried HEMP OIL?? My Health Food store reccomended it, as it contains super Omega 3-6-9 and is suppose to be great for all health benefits as well.
                      Although it does not quite agree with my stomach after I take it.

My Dr recommends Flax over Fish Oil.

Cathy

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
                        You know the old rule of thumb about vegetables... "fresh is better than frozen is better than canned... is better than none"? I'd be tempted to say "whole flax is better than liquid flaxseed oil is better than softgels is better than none".
                        I believe that would be a very true statement Rebecca!

Comment

I have noticed that I dont need/cant use moisturizers while taking all this oil- my skin doesnt need it- in fact I break out more if I add moisture on my skin- weird. Anyone else?

Comment

I get a lot of acne when I take flaxseed. Is that normal?
                            The cure: be open minded

Comment

I get terrible acne (cystic, painful) from flax and from walnuts (another omega-3 source).

I've tried a variety of flax sources, including grinding organic flax seeds myself, but all of them result in cystic acne for me. With walnuts, I can eat a few and be fine, but I can't eat a few every day and be fine.

I figured out the flax/walnut/acne connection long before I got dry eye. Once I got dry eye, I really wanted to figure out a way to get omega-3 fats. As a vegetarian who does not consume fish, taking fish oil was a very difficult decision for me to make, but I ultimately decided to try it.

I have been able to take Barlean's fish oil capsules, but only 3 per day. If I take 4 per day, I get the cystic acne again.

Three Barlean's capsules per day = about 900 mg of the omega-3 fats. This is less than what seems to be recommended for dry eye (I've seen anything from 1,000-4,000 recommended on this board), but I hope it is better than nothing.

I have not noticed a difference in my dry eye symptoms due to the fish oil, and perhaps that is due to insufficient dosage.

Comment

Working...
                              X