Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omega 6

Snippet from "http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/dry-eye.html"

Excess omega-6 fatty acids from polyunsaturated cooking oils and margarines.

Many millions of people in the industrialised countries, predominantly women, suffer from dry eye syndrome, a painful and debilitating eye disease. Dry eye syndrome is characterised by a decline in the quality or quantity of tears that normally bathe the eye to keep it moist and functioning well. The condition causes symptoms such as pain, irritation, and a sandy or gritty sensation. If untreated, severe dry eye syndrome can lead to scarring or ulceration of the cornea, and loss of vision. Victims may experience symptoms so severe that reading, driving, working and other vision-related activities of daily life are difficult or impossible.

In the first study of its kind to examine modifiable risk factors, researchers from Brigham and Women's Hospital and Schepens Eye Research Institute, an affiliate of Harvard University Medical School and the largest independent eye research institute in the world, found that the amount, type and ratio of essential fatty acids in the diet may play a key role in dry eye prevention in women.[1]

This study set out to examine how changing dietary habits in America, primarily a shift in the balance of essential fatty acids they are consuming, may be associated with onset of this eye disease. What it found was that a high intake of omega-6 fatty acids of the type found in margarines, cooking and salad oils, increased the risk of dry eye syndrome. On the other hand, omega-3 fatty acids found in fish oils and walnuts, reduced the risk, as of course does reducing intakes of vegetable margarines and oils.
    Occupation - Optimistologist

Is oil of evening primrose bad for MGD?

I take oil of evening primrose 1000mgm(omega 6) daily along with
    Omega 3 1000mgm daily
    Then - I have recently been taking flaxseed oil- omega 3 (as an oil)a tablespoonful
    I take that after my evening meal - I am not sure how much to take of this .I understand that the flaxseed oil in particular is best for dry eyes/MGD
    I wonder should I stop the oil of evening primrose?
    I took that because I understood it helped allergies and part of my dry eye problem I think is allergic- reaction to -God knows what! Literally - definately BCC + all eye preservatives,also hair products/eye makeup/face and eye creams
    I also have arthritis so I hoped the omega 3 would help that
    Am I taking too much?
    My thinking is ----- Better to try to induce your own eye lubrication than having to suppliment it FOR LIFE
    Would value comments
    Stella- recently diagnosed blepharitis/MGD variety

Comment

Hi...

I think that the KIND of omega 6 matters.

Here's an study abstract that used omega 6 on Sjogren's patients.

And this link explains omega 6's.

Also, I think the ratio between omega 6 and omega 3 can make a difference.

The University of Maryland Medical Center link explains the Omega 6 to Omega 3 fatty acids ratio:

For optimum health and disease prevention, the balance should consist of one to four times more omega-6 fatty acids than omega-3 fatty acids. A typical American diet, however, tends to contain 11 to 30 times more omega-6 than omega-3 fatty acids
      When I read this about ratio, I significantly increased my omega 3's.

Jann

Comment

try to avoid omega-6 as much as you can. it could make dry eye symptoms worse. what we need to is omega-3.
        I believe I can fly!

Comment

I recently read an article on my MSN homepage about the difference between omega 3 and omega 6.... while it said that omega 3 was crucial for preventing many diseases and disorders, it said that even if you are taking omega 3 tablets, if your intake of omega 6 is still greater then you might as well be wasting your time. basically, in a nut shell, it said that omega 6 is okay to put in your system as long as your are still taking MORE omega 3. i found this really interesting. could someone tell me what foods specifically contain large amounts of omega 6, besides margerine?
          -Amy

Comment

Hi Amy,

In general it's the ratio that is decisive. Research suggest that one should take in a ration of 3:1 (Omega6:Omega3) (pro inflammatory:anti inflammatory)
            In average we take in 20 times more Omega6 than Omega3. This is due to the fact that Omega6 can be found nearly everywhere. (eggs, baked goods, vegetable oils, ..) You can find plenty of information on the web. (Omega 3,6,9, antiinflammatory diet, ..)

Comment

oh, okay! good to know... i will definately be looking up some more info on omega 6's so that i can be more alert about what I'm putting in my body. thanks alberat!
              -Amy

Comment

Working...
              X