Flax seed oil in the UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flax seed oil in the UK

Having looked through some other threads and after noticing the high cost of Flax seed oil in Holland and barretts, I just thought I would share the fact that I get 90 1000mg capsule from Tesco for £4.99.
    In the last few weeks I have started a conscientious regime of lacrilube at night, lid scrub in the morning and flax seed oil twice a day. I am at day 16 of the best, virtually symptom free, period in the last 19 months. It may be down to the famous coloured sock theory but I am a firefighter and wear black socks every day!

I will keep you posted as I really think that if people who suddenly get better after a long time let everyone know it is a real boost and can give hope to all.
    Probably tempting fate just posting this!

Hello

Hi Hangus,
    Good luck - I think having a regime and sticking religiously to it is the key to less symptoms. However, there are some doubts about using Lacrilube on a daily basis. I had problems last month which I think may be down to this and read somewhere that it may reduce wettability of the eye surface.

Further to previous email, I have visited David Crystal and he wasn't too keen on lacrilube either. I now had a plug fitted to upper duct on left eye although not had great improvement yet in first week. Had the most thorough examination so far by him.
    Regards,
    Bru
    Occupation - Optimistologist

Comment

Thanks for that Bruce
      because of RCE problems I have felt the need to do something over night because that was when the problem was occurring. If not Lacrilube what gel or overnight treatment would people recommend? I am a little loathe to change when things are pretty smooth but I am always willing to try
      Barry

Comment

Barry

I know the challenges you face getting product in the UK.

Something that I use is Genteal Gel (which I get from Australia for £2.50 per tube), but you can get Viscotears gel in the UK in a pres free formulation.

I have just started gooping up of a night and taping my eye lid closed with this pretty cool plasticy type tape that costs £1.40 or so from ASDA pharmacy. The tape is better than micropore as it is wider and is perforated so no scissors in the middle of the night - has to be a good thing.

I gel both eyes but tape my right only and when I wake, I pour some saline in my eye before I take off the tape, sounds difficult but it works - so far - not wanting to speak too soon.

As I said I have only just started this routine so hopefully I will get somewhere with it.

H&B have specials from time to time that are worth watching out for. I think they have 1 at the moment for their high EPA fish oil.

There are obviously other products and suppliers out there, I don't personally have a problem with H&B but some people don't like their products, I guess it is personal preference.

I sent you an email a few days ago also.

Cheers
        Ian

Comment

Hi Ian
          Thanks I got your reply. Eyes still feeling Ok touch wood. I have not really had too much problem with lacrilube but i am always willing to try different products in search of the magic bullet.
          I think if I have another RCE I will try the tape method; if nothing else it might stop the wife pestering me! (chance would be a fine thing!)

Cheers
          Barry

Comment

I have a lot of trouble at night too - waking every 2 hours and having to put in goop
            I tried the tape but found it hard to tolerate
            I figured another way to make sure my eyes were properly closed at night --------
            I got a simple sleep- mask from a catalogue, and I place a clean man's cotton hankerchief folded inside it
            I make sure the elastic at the back of the head is under the hair- line nearly on the neck - this pulls the mask down slightly which keeps my eyes well closed and keeps the eyes warm and excludes air
            It has definately helped !!! I am only waking once a night now
            Although mybe the doxy is kicking in also
            I was on 100mgs for a week and have reduced to 50 mgs for two weeks and I shall then go to 25 mgs for as long as it takes - maybe 2 to 3 months
            This is self - treatment which i dont recommend but when you have a doc who knows so little about DE ( although she willingly let me try doxy) you have to resort to self treatment
            Any comments on my regieme appreciated !
            Stella

Comment

Lacrilube

Hangus,
              Was just commenting on the thick oinments in general but if it is working for you, why change?
              Occupation - Optimistologist

Comment

Working...
              X