Anyone ever tried BioTears???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever tried BioTears???

Has anyone ever tried BioTears natural supplement? The testimonials sound pretty impressive, and I was wondering if this supplement was worth the money, and if the amount of ingredients in it is sufficient to improve dry eyes. Here is a link to see.

http://www.biosyntrx.com/biotearsS.htm

I love them. It's the only thing that's worked for me, and I have very severe dry eyes. On schrimer's test I scored a 0 in both eyes. Now, i have 1 and 1.5. I also have blepharitis which aggravates it. BioTears has lactoferrin and tumeric which act as anti-inflammatory agents. I think its worth a try. I know this sounds crazy, but I felt a difference the first time I tried them.

Comment

This response isn't specifically for this supplement, but rather for any supplement. You need to find out if the supplement has research published in referee or peer review journals. If it hasn't, you have no idea if it works. Unfortunately, many people report things work and it's all in their head. That's why good research has double blind placebo studies. The human mind is an amazing thing. Always be skeptical of nutritional supplements that have medical claims. These must be backed up with published clinical research.

Comment

I think the point about research is well taken. All one really has to do is contact the manufacturer and ask them for study references. If they have them, they'll certainly give them out.

I'm looking forward to getting into this one at the workshops next month. Nutritional approach to dry eye is a favorite topic with Dr. Hector and I'm hoping to get a good solid education because this is an area I've never really known that much about.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

I just want to say that the effect of Biotears on my eyes is not in my head. The schrimer's test is proof to that. Also, if you go to their website they have done extensive research on dry eyes and other dry maladies. Believe me, the person that posted that is truly ignorant. I've tried every other type of medicine, antibiotics, steroids, plugs, restasis. They did nothing. Try biotears, it's all natural.

Comment

I think you've taken "virus" post and/or mine far more personally than they were intended. No one is saying Biotears didn't help you or that it is an unsubstantiated product, so there's no need to be defensive about it. The point made, as I understand it, was simply that it is wise to check out unregulated products before using them, among other reasons in order to have realistic expectations from them.
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

Personal testimonials are very influential. After all, this is perhaps the primary reason people choose to have refractive surgery.

I have been in the position of seeing patients post their personal idiosyncratic experiences with contact lenses that are totally contrary to the science and the dozens of studies already published, including my own experiences. But, this is not necessarily a bad thing. In fact, having so many choices available and the freedom to choose them is the basis of our economic and political system.

Clinical studies are all about statistics, and testing a medicine against the placebo effect. Not everybody is going to have the same experience.

Comment

Your comments about studies on any drug is well understood, but implying that my or other peoples' experiences with certain remedies are often "in their heads" was uncalled for. It always seems to me that a lot of people are so worried about natural remedies, but yet so quick to pop some medicine prescribed by a doctor without looking at the studies regarding those medicines, only to find that it causes another problems. I can only talk about my experience with biotears, which is what this forum is all about. The only way you will find out if it works is if you try it.

Comment

Originally posted by jp2084
                  Your comments about studies on any drug is well understood, but implying that my or other peoples' experiences with certain remedies are often "in their heads" was uncalled for. It always seems to me that a lot of people are so worried about natural remedies, but yet so quick to pop some medicine prescribed by a doctor without looking at the studies regarding those medicines, only to find that it causes another problems. I can only talk about my experience with biotears, which is what this forum is all about. The only way you will find out if it works is if you try it.
                  Personally, I use natural supplements myself. To be sure, I do lots of research on them first. Over the years, I am quite certain that I have wasted money. What you won't see me doing, though, is recommending my supplements to others unless there is some good research to back it up.

There is a well-known phenomenon called the placebo effect, which is what all drugs are tested against in order to gain FDA approval. Yes, some people actually have results with a sugar pill, or even water. Restasis is actually better than a placebo in the majority of cases.

I'm sure that there are a number of people who are extremely grateful for your personal endorsement, including the people who sell the product. Certainly, someone with a Schirmer score of 0 or 1.5 might be willing to try anything. Have you tried punctal plugs or Restasis? A room humidifier?

Comment

If it works for you - stick with it.

Comment

I started taking Biotears yesterday (I have moderate dry eye.) I'll report back as to how they work for me over the next few weeks...I think anything is worth a try...
                      Death to Dry Eye!

Comment

Are these drops or supplements?

Hello Everyone still waiting to see the doctor in Salt Lake and I was reading about these biotears, are they supplements or eye drops? Guess I could try these too, do I have to go to the eye doctor for them or can I get them over the counter? Might as well try these too since these damn strings haven't went away. Thanks everyone and I hope you all are feeling good, despite all of your eye troubles. God Bless to everyone and let me know more about these eye drops lol, I'll try anything whether its not FDA approved, natural or whatever, I'll give it a try, because 3 years suffering makes me not afraid to try new things as I am dying for a cure. Ciao for now D

Comment

Originally posted by Delilah
                          I was reading about these biotears, are they supplements or eye drops?
                          Supplements. For more info do a search on the nutritionals forum or visit www.biosyntrx.com.
                          Rebecca Petris
                          The Dry Eye Foundation
                          dryeyefoundation.org
                          800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
                          X