What is NAC supplement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is NAC supplement?

Some of the posts have mentioned NAC supplements. Can anyone tell me what this stands for?
    Thanks

NAC = n-acetylcarnosine

Here is an article that gives more info:
    NAC
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, I believe a lot of the posts were refering to N-acetylcysteine, which is a precursor to the "super" antioxidant glutathione. (In other words when you eat NAC it helps your body make it-) NAC supplements have been rumored to help blepharitis sufferers although I haven't seen any formal medical studies published. I did see one study though where NAC was compounded into an eyedrop to create a dry eye condition in a rabbit cornea.
      I hadn't heard that about carnosine Kitty-cool!

Comment

Hi,
        I did see a study suggesting N- Acetyl-L Cysteine in capsule form was helpful for blepharitis sufferers. I found it at GNC. But the dosage is higher than the dosage studied. I could not locate the original article, but I am pretty sure I linked to it from this site.
        Last edited by skygoddess; 09-Jul-2007, 07:56. Reason: spelling

Comment

http://www.thehealthierlife.co.uk/ar...epharitis.html

Here is a typical NAC study.

"In a study conducted last year, scientists in the Ophthalmology department at Okmeydani Training Hospital in Istanbul, Turkey, tested the theory that blepharitis may be caused by oxidation damage to the meibomian glands (that help create tears) by corrupting the molecules that manufacture the oily layer of tear film over the surface of the eye"
          "After 8 weeks of treatments, the researchers found that the members of the group receiving NAC supplements showed a significantly greater improvement in the structure of their tear film, as well as a greater reduction of blepharitis symptoms. "

There are so many "trials" which are successful with dry eye its a wonder why anyone still has the problem - call me a sceptic if you will.

Regards.
          Occupation - Optimistologist

Comment

Originally posted by brd888
            There are so many "trials" which are successful with dry eye its a wonder why anyone still has the problem - call me a sceptic if you will.
            Regards.
            OK, I'll bite the bullet and call you a sceptic but I think we have every reason to be, I'm with you on this one.
            Cheers
            Ian

Comment

Study using NAC on Sjogren's patients

Here's study that was done using NAC on Sjogren's patients.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...ubmed_RVDocSum

Comment

Blepharitis, Dry Eye -- I don't know what I have!

I have been trying for years to find out what I have. It's not a daily occurrence, but boy, when I have it, I'm totally stuck with it for at least 24 hours. It starts with blurred vision and then the oily eyeball feeling. Reading becomes a huge challenge, as all the letters seem to dissolve or develop white holes in them, and I become excruciatingly light-sensitive. No amount of baby shampoo, hot and cold packs, saline solution, or medicated eye drops (over-the-counter or prescription) have yet to alleviate the discomfort. I usually end up creating a sensitive, burning eye situation, but still feeling like there's a coat of Vaseline on my eyes. Recently, I was put on prescription-strength antihistamines for an unrelated problem, and I thought this would be the answer. Instead, I found myself with the same problem inspite of taking the antihistamines. Is any of this familiar to any of you out there?

Comment

I started taking NAC (1200mg/day) and Glutathione supplements 10 days ago and my eyes feel great (relatively speaking). My eyes are less dry and my lids are a little less red/inflammed. Now, its not a cure by any means, but I am finding a good deal of relief. Although, it could be a coincidence because I also started using OCuSOFT Lid Scrub Foaming Eyelid Cleanser (really gentle and doesn't leave a residue, btw) and reduced my Restasis dose from 2 drops to 1 drop 2x/day around the same time. Whatever the case may be, I have never seen this much improvement since I developed this horrible condition. One thing I should point out is that the relief generally comes each day from the time I take the NAC and Glutathione supplements (8AM) until the early evening (5-6PM). I wonder if this is because the supplements are wearing off? I was affraid to post this because I didn't want to jinx anything (knock on wood ) - so hopefully this helps!

Comment

NAC - Glutathione

Hi Bright...

RE: I started taking NAC (1200mg/day) and Glutathione supplements

I've recently started the NAC -- but because it suggests to take between meals I have to admit that I haven't been very good at remembering to do that. Do you take yours this way -- ?? -- I'm using the one by Pure Encapusulations.

Also, can you share more info about the "Glutathione" supplement --??--

Thanks....
                    Jann

Comment

I should have also mentioned that I started taking Glucosamine and MSM supplements around the same time (for knee injury) - so as to further qualify my previous statements

I take 2 GNC brand NAC 600mg capsules and 1 Now brand Glutathione 500mg capsule each day about 30 minutes after breakfast. The NAC doesn't specify when it should be taken but the Glutathione says to take with meals. It is my understanding that NAC is a precursor of Glutathione and therefore promotes synthesis of intercellular Glutathione (whatever that means). The reason NAC may be helpful is that NAC is a natural expectorant which helps thin mucus in the body (and maybe thin oil too?).

Comment

NAC may be part of my success

I can't give NAC the credit yet, because I radically changed my routine three weeks ago after reading Dr. Latkany's book. I started using Tranquileyes goggles for lagophthalmos and began using warm compresses at night, even though I didn't have any visible signs of MGD or blepharitis. A week ago, I added a humidifier to my office and began taking NAC. The last three days have been the best eye-days I've had in four years. I haven't needed drops at all during the day, the whites of my eyes are bright white and glistening (from high quality tears that are actually adhering to the surface!). I stopped using Restasis again two days ago (I've tried stopping it a couple of times in the past without success), and so far, no change in the great, new condition of my eyes.

After I enjoy a month or so of stability, I may try stopping the NAC to determine if it's contributing to my new-found success. If I notice a decrease in tear production or quality, I'll come back and post. I am certain the Tranquileyes goggles and warm compresses are helping, so I don't think NAC by itself would have gotten me to this point.

Comment

Hi Terri,

I'll bet you're feeling just WONDERFUL right now with your eyes feelings so much better.

My dry eyes are related to Sjogren's and I also get this instant bronchitis crud in the winter -- probably related to the change in weather and the air being dry...less humid in my area. I've been sleeping with a humidifier in my room for years now --- it's like being in the rain forest.

I've just recently added NAC to my supplement regimen and I'll continue to take it even if my eyes get moister -- it's just a good antioxidant component to my vitiligo treatment too.

I've decided to try LDN Therapy . I've been researching LDN since July and some Sjogren's folks have had some pretty good success with it.

What is at the source of your dry eyes -- did you have lasik or do you have Sjogren's --??--

Jann

Comment

LDN questions

Jannz,

I also have auto-immune conditions Sjogren's and Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I had heard about the LDN before, but am trying to resist being "carried away" by all the claims of success in curing so many conditions. Even the way it is presented by advocates seems overly enthusiastic.

So---I await news of how you are progressing! I am tempted to try it, too. I don't have a lot of symptoms except for dry eye, low white blood count, and low platelets. But I feel OK--dry eyes under control. I am taking Plaquenil, an immunomodulator drug, and have my doubts about whether this is the right approach. In your groups--does anybody take both Plaquenil and LDN?

What was your doctor's response when you suggested it? I am sort of afraid my Rheumatologist will laugh at me if I mention it, but I'm going to anyway.

So, definitely----keep us informed about the LDN.

Calli

Comment

NAC & GI distress?

Jannz: As you can imagine, I am really excited about my recent progress!! I wish I had found Dr. Latkany's book and this site a few years ago, but I am glad to have found both now.

My DES is in my right eye, and it is the result of damage to the facial nerve following brain surgery four years ago. The facial nerve grew back after 6 months, but the extended period of being unable to blink and having reduced lacrimal output (both controlled by the facial nerve) set off the cycle of damage and inflammation that so many of us know all too well as DES.

This afternoon (after I wrote my previous post), I developed significant gastrointestinal distress. I was trying to determine the cause, and I read that about 20% of people who take NAC develop diarrhea, nausea and other gastrointestinal problems. Since I started NAC on Nov. 21 (600 mg, once daily), I am suspicious that it is the cause. If you or anyone else has had a similar experience, please let me know. I'm a little reluctant to keep taking it at this point.

Terri
                              Last edited by Terri; 01-Dec-2007, 05:54. Reason: Correct spelling

Comment

Working...
                              X