new suplement for dry eyes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new suplement for dry eyes

My doctor left me a message on Friday regading a new supplemnt for dry eyes, Unfrotunately I missed his call and didn't undersatnd very well the name of the supplement: Silverry, or Silberry, or Filverry supllements? does it ring a bell to anyone?
    He said somehting about being OTC and good for dry eyes.
    I will try to reach him again and ask but it is very hard since he is too busy and mee too. So If any of you heard of it please share the info. I trired to google it but didn't get anything realterd to dry eyes,
    Thanks!
    Dr eyes caused by long term contact lens wear

There's bilberry ... which is a cousin to blueberry and has been used for dry eye. Type bilberry into your search engine and you should find loads of information on it.

Comment

Mmmmmmmmmm, I've been eating tons of blueberries. They are harvested in my area and I just trot to the freezer in the off season and get a bag.
      Lucy
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Before you know it, your skin will match your shirt!
        Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

D-I'm so full of blueberries, my eyes are blue too.
          Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I think blueberries are good for macula degeneration but dont do anything for dryeyes
            I undestand that the ingredient in blueberries that is so good is Lutein which is also present in Kale brocoli and kiwis to name a few foods rich in this substance
            I only know this because i am interested in food suppliments and vits and minerals
            You can get lutein as a suppliment
            It's back to the old omega 3 in the form of fish oil or flaxseed oil for us DE sufferers

Comment

I was told by my doctor that billberry is believed to enhance night vision and is also used to support overall eye health. I agree with others on this form that the best supplements are omega 3s. I found that drinking large amounts of water, reducing sugar/caffeine, and using omega 3s have improved my dry eye symptoms!!

Good luck to you,

Also, try primose oil. I take a tablet at night. I also put it on my lids, it tends to reduce wrinkles and puffiness in the morning! Everyone is different but I thought I share some of my tips.

Comment

I'll do a search on Billberry but I was pretty sure my docotr said Silverry...I didn't have a chance to talk to him today but I'll talk to my doctor this week and find out if he was referring to billberry. I goggled it as well and found:
                1. Bilberry - Bilberry is a herb used for both gastrointestinal and eye health. The active ingredients are called anthocyanosides, which are a type of flavanoid. Anthocyanosides are antioxidants that help improve the flow of blood through the capillaries in eyes. They help eyes adjust quickly to changes in light, and improve sharpness of vision.

Bilberry has also been shown to be effective in stopping the progression of cataracts when taken with vitamin E. It's also used to treat diabetic retinopathy, and macular degeneration.

I take omega from fish oil (Biotears) it works for me.I've beeen taking in over a year. I stopped for a while and switched to flaxseed and my eyes did pay for the switch. My eyes were horrible for a while. Flax oil is hard to metabolize by the body (per my sister who is a dietitian and I read it in Times magazine as well). Still I used milled flax seed on my cereal every morning b/c at least is a good source of fiber and it is cheap. I'll keep you posted on the siverry vs billberry mistery ;-)
                Last edited by Maria1972; 13-Aug-2007, 18:28. Reason: forgot to add something

Comment

Are biberry and blueberry the same ?

Comment

Billberry

I don't think they are the same as blueberries.
                    I asked my dry eye doctor today if it is a good supplement for dry eyes and he said he prefers to stick with the fish oil. He is a well known dry eye doctor, so I guess I will just continue with fish oil...who knwos maybe when I make more money and I can afford more supplements I can give Billberry a try but if some of you do, please share your comments.

Comment

My experience

The following helps my dry eyes a lot when my eyes dont have much inflammation.
                      Drink a lot of camomile tee (min. 1 liter/day).
                      Don't drink black tee but green tee.
                      Don't take spicy food, no pepper.
                      Blueberry helps to reduce inflammation. (But its hard to keep eating them in all seasons.) I've tried once( for 2 days), no effect for me.

Check if your palms and foot bottoms are usually warmer than other people, or you feel them uncomfortably warm.
                      If yes, be careful with what your food. No spicy food, no peppers, no lamb, no lychees(tropical fruit). Drink a lot, take a lot of fruits and salat.

And keep on doing that, it wont help in short period of time.

Comment

Does anyone know what the recommended dose of fish oil is daily? I'm sure it is probably stated somewhere here, but I'm being lazy... I'm currently taking Carlson Very Finest Norwegian Fish Oil Orange gelcaps total 2,000 mg daily (one with lunch, one with dinner)...

Comment

I can smell the fish burps from here.

Comment

Dianat, You are an ABSOLUTE RIOT!!! I needed that! But at least they are orangy smelling fish!!

Comment

I take Carleson's Salmon oil capsules....whew...do they ever linger. You never really have to ask yourself late in the day, "Hmmm, did I take my fish oil today?"

I don't mind it so much really, but if I take a fish oil cap and eat green pepper on the same day, I really shouldn't be allowed in public.

D

Comment

Working...
                              X