has anyone tried a gluten free diet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• has anyone tried a gluten free diet?

Has anyone tried a gluten free diet for their eyes and if so did it help? I am just looking for some answers/possibilities....

thanks!
    Jenny

I am doing it for my acid reflux with some positive results for that. I cannot see that it has helped my eyes a bit though.

Comment

I've been gluten-free for about 8 months. I'm trying it because I've had IBS and food sensitivities for half my life. I found out last year I have Sjogren's syndrome, and some things I've read link IBS, gluten/wheat intolerance as triggers for auto-immune response. So I thought, why not? I'll try it.

Over all, I'm definitely better off. Mostly the positive effect relates to my IBS. My eyes are much better, too, but that is probably due to a combination of things--home treatment and some different medications to damp down my immune response.

I think a trial with gluten-free is warranted if you're already experiencing digestive troubles like D, and C, bloating, pain, etc. Apparently the proteins in gluten can be pretty irritating, and can cause increased inflammation in sensitive people. Like most "elimination diet" trials, you have to be pretty "scientific" about how you eliminate it; do it one food at a time--- not eliminating 3 things from your diet at once--like gluten, dairy, coffee, etc. (That's what I did). Now I really have no idea which one made the biggest difference. But I feel so much better, that I'm not going to go back and test it again.

Calli

Comment

I've been on an elimination diet for the past 5 weeks for gluten, soy, and dairy. I have seen no difference in my eyes at all after not eating gluten for 5 weeks. Now that may just be because I don't have an intolerance for gluten. But if you do, it could make a difference.

I haven't started adding them back into my diet yet, so I don't know if I do have a sensitivity to any of them yet. In my case, I was having wheezing and I haven't been since I cut them all out. I suspect that if it is from one of them, it's probably from soy. But whichever it may be, if any of them, it's not causing my eye problems in my case.

Comment

Thanks everyone!
          Jenny

Comment

I’ve been on a so-called “anti-inflammatory” eating program the last couple of months. I say eating program because I’m not rigorous about it like a serious diet. I generally try to avoid foods listed by Drs Weil and Perricone as pro-inflammatory while trying to eat more of the foods they list as anti-inflammatory. Anything with wheat, rye or barley flour in it is considered pro-inflammatory, so am minimizing but probably not eliminating gluten. The result has been that I now eat a very healthy breakfast and lunch every day. For dinner I try to be healthy but am bit more flexible. Am also walking briskly at least 2 miles every day and biking to the office (7.5 miles away from home) as weather and work schedule (and leg muscles) allow.

I’ve lost over 15 pounds and feel great. Have no idea if eye inflammation is minimized tho’. Too many variables in motion and I’ve not been methodical about eliminating and adding foods. Best of luck finding what works for you.

Comment

Wow, Williams! I'm impressed! I've been really good about what I eat for the past few months and I also try to do Dr. Weil's anti-inflammatory foods. But I haven't gotten off my butt like you have. Walking briskly for 2 miles a day PLUS biking 7 miles each way is amazing! Of course, I live in New York City where walking is easy but if I rode a bike, I'd get run over by a taxi within the first minute.

I've lost 26 pounds in the past 4 months but I could definitely be in better shape by doing some exercise. (Unfortunately, I lost the weight quicker than I meant to because of having acid reflux and simply not being able to eat sometimes. So I'm sure I lost muscle tone instead of just fat.)

Thanks for the poke in the behind. I'm going to get myself to walk more.

Comment

Working...
              X