Fish oil/EPA-how much to take

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish oil/EPA-how much to take

I have been taking fish oil daily and was wondering how much I should take? Do I want to take 1000 mg of DHA or more?

Thanks!

Jen
    Jenny

I was told at least 3,000mg a day by my doctor.

Comment

Flaxseed

I was advised not to take fish oil as it can cause inflammation of parts of the eye. I take 4 capsules of flaxseed a day from GNC. The reported benefits of fish oil and/or flaxseed vary greatly.

Comment

My eye doctor also switched me to flaxseed and said it may be more effective than fish oil. Seems to be true for me. I also have acid reflux and the fish oil really exacerbates that. If you go to flaxseed be sure to buy the cold pressed. Barleans is good.

Comment

That's interesting,

I have read that your body only needs two types of fatty acids, which are the essential fatty acids, (ALA)alpha-linolenic acid and (LA)Linoleic acid, these two cannot be produced by the body, now Flaxseed oil is made up mostly of these two fatty acids. your body makes the other fatty acids for your eyes with these essential ones. it takes more time to see the benefits though. fish oil has EPA and DHA fatty acids, which are used for the eyes and meibomian gland oils. so fish oil might be better, because it is already in the form for your eyes, your body doesn't have to do a lengthy chemical conversion, hope that makes sense.

one thought that comes to my mind though, is that we really don't need these fish oil or flaxseed oils. look at the people starving in Africa for example, they look so thin, and don't have oils like this in their diets, they eat basic, and they dont have dry eyes......something is wrong in your body that stops this process of oil production from taking place....just my 2 cents.

rhad

Comment

Originally posted by rhad View Post
            one thought that comes to my mind though, is that we really don't need these fish oil or flaxseed oils. look at the people starving in Africa for example, they look so thin, and don't have oils like this in their diets, they eat basic, and they dont have dry eyes......something is wrong in your body that stops this process of oil production from taking place....just my 2 cents.
            Hold on there - how do you know they don't have dry eyes? If I was starving I be more concerned about that than dry eyes.
            There is something in what you say though, I think dry eye is a modern, western problem caused by our diet, living conditions and lifestyle. Similar to asthma?
            Occupation - Optimistologist

Comment

Originally posted by brd888 View Post
              how do you know they don't have dry eyes?
              Quite right. And they do. Talk to anybody who's been on an optometric or ophthalmic medical mission in Africa or latin America and they'll tell you how big an issue this is.

Speaking of... I never thought I'd learn something about dry eye at church, but this morning my pastor was preaching the last of a series from Revelation (the messages to the seven churches - the 7th of which is the church of Laodicea, widely believed to be a reference to the modern day church). Anyway it seems the city of Laodicea in then-Asia Minor was famous for the production of eye salves and ear salves. It reminded me of what I've read in articles by Dr. Holly, Juan Murube & others about the history of dry eye remedies dating to ancient Greece.

So while we westerners may be experiencing an increase of dry eye from medical products, surgeries, the modern office environment, 21st century vitamin-depleted diet etc, it's an old, old problem....
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

When the average age at death was 27, they probably didn't have to think about dry eye much.
                Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I totally agree. If dry eye is a problem of those of us who feel entitled enough to complain about it, then it must be a bigger problem for those whose voices are not heard enough.

But, still, what *is* the right balance of oil intake? Since I have gotten dry eye and started caring more about getting fish oil into my diet, my cholesterol numbers have improved (after being good to begin with!). However, I wonder what the right amount is for good health in general and for dry eyes, especially.

Comment

Also, do we *know* that taking this has cured/fixed dry eye in patients? If any are reading this, please let us know. I know flaxseed and fishoil are good for us and I'm taking Theratears Nutrition, but other than make us otherwise "more" healthy, does it really do a number on the dry eyes? Lucy

PS.I'm only questioning this because I can't remember reading where anyone was much better, or felt cured after taking this supplement. Lots of people will be better in a year or so whether they do anything or not.
                    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I know some patients who feel quite sure their eyes are benefitting from fish or flax oil, and a lot of doctors who routinely prescribe it as a firstline treatment. I don't think I've seen any compelling science connecting SUPPLEMENTS with dry eye (as opposed to overall Omega 3 dietary intake or things like the harvard tuna study) but if there is any then by all means whoever has it post it here. In general among the DEZ crowd it seems like the 'thinking trend' has mostly been "Well, I know it's good for my overall health and it MIGHT help my eyes so let's do it."

For liquid oils I've always understood the 'rule of thumb' is 1 tablespoon per 100 lbs of body weight. That said, labelling varies and doctors' recommendations are all over the map.
                      Rebecca Petris
                      The Dry Eye Foundation
                      dryeyefoundation.org
                      800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. I have tried flax oil for about a year and it didn't seem to do anything so then I tried fish oil. I have been taking it for several months and have upped the dosage to about 4000-5000mg a day of the pills. I just got some Primrose oil w/ the GLA which I am just taking the recommended 2 pills a day. I don't want to overdue it.

I am going to Louisville on the 13th to see Dr. Foulks (thanks to being referred from a lot of great people on here! ). I am going to get his feedback on it among other things I am taking. I have also been on Restasis for 7 months now. The first time around I took it for 6 months and dropped out thinking it didn't help.. I have read that some people it starts to work after 9 months so I am keeping my fingers crossed. I know my eyes feel really good after I instill the drops.

Thanks again.

Jen
                        Jenny

Comment

Um, Rhad, people in Africa eat fish - sometimes dried fish. And what makes you think they don't have dry eyes? No one talks about OUR dry eyes except for us...do you honestly think they have a web site there to promote the issue of THEIR dry eyes?

Comment

well, look around you, their are a lot of obese people in america, alot of people i know are extremely obese, yet they don't have dry eyes, the majority of people don't eat a balanced diet, alot don't even eat vegetables at all to get their vitamins, yet their eyes are healthy and they have good vision(no glasses or contacts). what's up with that huh? I spent a year in south america (bolivia), they didn't eat good oils for their bodies, most of them eat the same thing every day for every meal. White rice(has no nutrients in it, stripped of all nutrients), Red meat or chicken, and very little salad at all. alot are over weight, and have other health problems but not with eyes. most of them don't even need glasses or any vision correction. obviously consuming more fish oil/flaxseed oils is not going to easily fix your dry eyes, or taking loads of vitamin supplements.....

what do you think they did anciently, they didn't follow strict diets, they didn't constantly worry about not getting their omega 3's, and vitamins, they didn't even know about vitamins/nutrients, they didn't have the technology we have now.

obviously something is wrong inside the body that is not allowing proper oil/tear production. You do not have to agree with what I have said, but this is what I have personally observed.

rhad

Comment

Wow, you're astoundingly clueless.

Comment

Working...
                              X