Omega-6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omega-6

Not sure if everyone has seen this. It was new to me. I actually have some EPO in the cabinet but stopped taking it because I read that Omega-6 was basically the "bad" omega that Americans have way too much of anyway...

http://www.naturaleyecare.com/study.asp?s_num=237

Omega 6 actually is a pro-inflammatory according to vitamin makers and requires co-factors(like DGLA and EPA) to convert to anti-inflammatory PGE1. EPO, Black Currant, and Borage oils are all Omega 6 oils that require co-factors to convert PGE1 according to them. Has anyone seen an improvment in symptoms by soley taking EPO?

Comment

Thats interesting, i used to take flaxseed oil every morning in a glass of orange juice or carrot juice now i take 'Organic Choice' Balanced blend Omega 3, 6 and 9.
      I aslo read somewhere that grapes are good for people with MGD.

Comment

I remember way back when we had an OD here who reported excellent results from borage seed oil. Barleans, who make top-rated flaxseed oils, have a product called Omega Twin which is flaxseed and borage, and from what they told me, that has tended to be a top seller for dry eye. I have heard from various eye doctors over the years who recommend it for dry eye. Most of the proprietary dry eye supplements contain evening primrose oil. I don't recall hearing from anyone who takes EPO on its own, though.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

This might be a good question to post to Dr. Lange.

Comment

The new eye doctor I saw a couple weeks ago stated that Omega 6 can cause inflammation and to stick to fish oil for that reason. I would certainly like to know more about this. It's rather confusing.

Comment

Working...
            X