Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are so many brands of Borage oil. (Swanson, GNC, Health from the Sun, Barleans...etc) How do I go about making a decision of which brand to buy? Should I guide myself by the cheapest price assuming the same quantity and potency? I am worried about getting a poor quality supplement. I saw NSI Borage Oil -- 1,300 mg - 120 Softgels for $15.79. Is this a good one?

Comment

I go to the local health food store and buy whatever they have. I am making the assumption the stuff they sell is good. But they generally cost an arm and a leg and I often wonder if it is worth it. I tend to stay away from supermarket items, although I suppose for most things they are OK. My guess would be GNC products are fine . Barlean is a brand that I find at my health food store.
      That is a very good question. Maybe somebody knows of a website somewhere where brands are ranked?

Comment

First off, Borage oil is more bioavailable than evening primrose oil. I'm not stating that evening primrose oil isn't a good source of GLA. You aren't going to find any site that ranks vitamins because it's statistacally and monetarily impossible. It is quite easy to find the integrity of a companies product. Simply write this form letter to the company through email or regular mail and see if they respond.

To whom it may concern: I am extremely interested in your products. Could you please send me a complete bibliography of research published in peer review or refereed journals. This research must be written by your staff on the products you sell. Thank you and I look forward to doing busines with you. I can pretty much guarantee only a good company with integrity will respond.

Comment

Hi, Virus! What is meant by "bioavailable"? That's a new term for me!

Comment

Originally posted by jcorbett
            Hi, Virus! What is meant by "bioavailable"? That's a new term for me!
            bioavailable basically means it's available at the cell level. It means your cells will absorb the nutrient. Some forms of nutrients are better than others. GLA for example: borage seed oil is far more bioavailable than evening primrose oil. Chromium for example: Chromium Nicotinate is far superior than Chromium Piconlinate. One of the problems with supplements is the FDA has no juristiction over them. Years ago when I started lifting I went on a search to find which supplements were the best. I sent a form letter similar to the one I posted above. I sent it to most of the big companies. TwinLabs, EAS, GNC, Shaklee, etc. Shaklee was the only company that actually sent me a complete bibliography of research. My wife at the time worked for the National Cancer Institute which is part of NIH and she was able to reference alot of the bibliography and pull the entire published research. This gave me credible proof that their supplements actually did what they promised and were bioavailable to the cells. I haven't done this in quite some time so you may be able to find a company that has since done credible researh. I assure you there aren't many. I even called EAS and there response was, "this type of research isn't required by the FDA so we don't do it". Many of these companies don't even make the supplements. They are made by pharmaceutical companies. There is a one pharmaceutical company that will make supplements and put your label on them. Example: Virus's Vitamin C. They make over 400 different brands of vitamins, most of which you purchase at the store.

Comment

Hi ive been taking GLA (starflower oil) for about a month and have seen improvements. the lasy week has been really good. Today is worse than the other days but still not as bad. My eyes are still really bad on waking, which is wierd as they feel better in the day. I think my problem was mainly evaporative, but abit of both. However, the other suplement it could be down to is NAC which i started around the same time. But the reason i think its GLA is because i have abit of rosecea, and people which occular rosecea said GLA has helped them. I hope this isnt the limit to the the improvement, and i hope it carries on improving. or doesn't deteriate.

MICHEAL OD, did your improvements carry was it capped at a level of improvement?
              Last edited by sazy123; 30-Jan-2006, 10:39. Reason: add something
              I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Try biotears from Biosyntrx, they've really worked for me. So NAC has worked for you

Comment

I have got some but i dont want to change the routine, incase loose benefit.. eyes feel crap today though.. I am taking NAC but dont know if its this..or GLA
                  I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

combination of oils

Hi,
                    Has anyone tried a commbination of flaxseed oil, cod liver oil(fish oil) and borage oil? (liquid and no capsules!)
                    Any advice about the amount of them?
                    I have been taking 2 tbsp of flaxseed oil for 2 days. It seems to work already.

I've read that GLA (mainly in borage oil) works against allergy.I suffer from allergy the whole spring and half of the winter

Comment

I believe that the GLA is an anti inflammatory? And that Borage seed oil has the highest concentration.... then blackcurrent.

I am currently taking Barleans liquid omega twin (flaxseed and borage). 510mg of GLA per tablespoon....alot more than capsules.... no idea if that means it is more effective.

I also am taking a tablespoon of cod liver oil during the day.

I have been doing this for a couple of weeks... cant say I have noticed a great improvement.

Comment

Hi Tory

Its been 3 days since I took flaxseed oil. 2 spoons everyday. And I can notice that my eyes wont get sore anymore. And they look whiter.
                        Flaxseed oil has high percentage of Omega 3, which works against inflammation. I've read from Rebecca in the blog and she wrote someone professional suggested only taking Flaxseed oil. Flaxseed oil has 4 or 5 times Omega 3 than e.g in cod liver oil. If you havent got any release yet, I suggest you try flaxseed oil, 2 spoons per day. (You get 2 to 3 times Omega 3 than before)
                        I got a bottle of flaxseed oil from a normal bio shop in Germany. I'm very satisfied with it.
                        I'm planning to get cod liver oil and borage oil soon and maybe take 2 times pro week the mixture of them.

Comment

Originally posted by atta View Post
                          Its been 3 days since I took flaxseed oil. 2 spoons everyday. And I can notice that my eyes wont get sore anymore. And they look whiter.
                          Flaxseed oil has high percentage of Omega 3, which works against inflammation. I've read from Rebecca in the blog and she wrote someone professional suggested only taking Flaxseed oil. Flaxseed oil has 4 or 5 times Omega 3 than e.g in cod liver oil. If you havent got any release yet, I suggest you try flaxseed oil, 2 spoons per day. (You get 2 to 3 times Omega 3 than before)
                          I got a bottle of flaxseed oil from a normal bio shop in Germany. I'm very satisfied with it.
                          I'm planning to get cod liver oil and borage oil soon and maybe take 2 times pro week the mixture of them.

Atta flaxseed oil does contain a higher concentration of omega 3 than fish oil...however it is in the ALA form...which then only very slowly breaks down into the apparently beneficial EPA and DHA form of omega 3. Fish oil is apparently better for dry eyes as it is the more developed form of omega 3....ie EPA and DHA.... longer chain fatty acids I believe?

If you read Dr lange's new Q and A section, he also questions the use of Borage liquid oil.... as it could have an inflammatory effect.

Maybe you can pose a question there? I for one, am eternally confused.

Rory

Comment

I'm confused too

Hi Rory,
                            My eyes are really in good condition today. I've tried cod liver oil before and I didnt notice any progress.
                            I will try flaxseed oil for a longer time. Lets see what will happen.

Atta

Comment

I just read the earlier posts on this thread from late 2005/ early 2006.

Did anyone have any results from Borage oil or any other higher dose GLA..blackcurrant, Evening Primrose?

did you take capsules or liquid?

Comment

Hi.
                                I take Evening Primrose Oil .this is amazing.i tried fish oil and flaxseed oil but little relife.
                                GLA in primorse oil help.
                                my dryeye much better.also my allergy decrease too.
                                I take 3 capsul daily.

Comment

Working...
                                X