Vitamin/Supplement Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vitamin/Supplement Advice

I have been diagnosed with having food intolerances to Beef, Pork, Tuna, and Lettuce. So far, I have been able to avoid all of the above with no problem. However, I was unaware that Gelatin a derivative of the above. Therefore, I am unable to take the Gel Type Vitamins and Supplements. Is anyone aware of Omega's, Multi-vitamins, etc that do not contain these ingredients. Although, the test did not qualify soy as an intolerance, I personally find that taking vitamins with E/tocopherol is a problem for me as well.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Julie

Several vegetarian capsules and gels are available

Julie, there is hope! Indeed gelatin is most commonly derived from the hooves of cattle. (A significant amount of gelatin may be left on slaughterhouse floors, during the slaughter process, making it possible for workers simply to scrape it off the floor, and send it out for processing. If you ever want more detail, write me privately...I used to work as an animal protection lawyer specializing in the agriculture industries.)

Solgar, a well-respected and long-established vitamin company, seems to use only non-gelatin ingredients for its capsules and gels. To be sure, you can look on a particular Solgar bottle, and readily find "suitable for vegetarians" or something like that, printed on the label.

I am finding that several other companies now make non-gelatin versions of their products, even if the company is not consistently vegetarian. Labels will readily reveal this on a case-by-case basis.

Some supplements can be made either as a tablet or a capsule, and there are also different kinds of capsules in use today. Tablets won't usually contain gelatin, so if you have a choice in a product, choosing the tablet may do the trick.

Your needs would indicate that it would be easiest for you to buy your supplements from a large online provider that offers detailed product descriptions, or in a large store like Vitamin Shoppe, where multiple versions and brands of the same supplements are always available, leaving hope that at least one will be gelatin-free.
    Last edited by Rojzen; 31-Dec-2008, 13:47. Reason: poor word choice
    <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

Rojzen,

Thanks for that first line... "There is hope!" Like many, that seems to be the only way I get through each day. I am continuously looking for the reason behind the early tear evaporation and my hypersensitiviites to chemicals. Some docs claim that it this will go away, others say no; therefore, hope is all I have.

In regards to the vitamins and your experience working with the animal protection, I would love to know more.... especially since I think that glycerine is a problem too. (Still Learning). I also think that the tocopherol is a problem for me as well and this seems to be in everything as well. Would love for you to share your wisdom.

In your profile, it states that you have early evaporation. Have you ever found the cause and treatment(s) that make it more managable?

Comment

Originally posted by JAH1973 View Post
        Rojzen,

Thanks for that first line... "There is hope!" Like many, that seems to be the only way I get through each day. I am continuously looking for the reason behind the early tear evaporation and my hypersensitiviites to chemicals. Some docs claim that it this will go away, others say no; therefore, hope is all I have.

In regards to the vitamins and your experience working with the animal protection, I would love to know more.... especially since I think that glycerine is a problem too. (Still Learning). I also think that the tocopherol is a problem for me as well and this seems to be in everything as well. Would love for you to share your wisdom.

In your profile, it states that you have early evaporation. Have you ever found the cause and treatment(s) that make it more managable?
        Take a look at my thread below this one. I, again, do not know if it is placebo or not, but I feel as if the myoplex reduces inflammation. Worth a shot.
        Current Diagnosis: MGD due to Ocular Rosacea , TBUT of 5 seconds

Comment

Working...
        X