Omega-3s: Capsules vs. oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omega-3s: Capsules vs. oil?

Can anyone help me understand the conventional wisdom here? Are oils you pour on food considered more effective than fish oil capsules you take? Does anyone use both? Thanks, Rob

Many Omega-3 supplements are derived from fish oil--sardine, mackerel, salmon, anchovy, etc. These oils are very strong in taste and odor, so if you were to take them as oils, you probably wouldn't like it. In softgel form, at least you get it down into your stomach, past your taste buds. Most capsule type Omega-3's are refined, which removes some of the fishy taste, and also removes any heavy metals present.

You have to try several brands to see if you like them. Some brands of capsules (like Omega 3 from Trader Joes) are inexpensive but stinky, and you burp up the fish taste for hours. I take a brand that's supposed to be "pharmaceutical grade" RxOmega-3 Factors--more expensive, but better tasting.

Most Omega-3 capsules are a softgel with the oil inside--the softgel is made from gelatin and glycerin, soy. Some people want to avoid beef products, and choose the "fish gelatin" softgel (a bit more expensive).

Omega-3 is also supplied by flax---in softgels and bottled flax oil--it should be refrigerated to keep fresh.

Somewhere around 3000 mg per day (about 3 large softgel) is a good amount to take.

I take fish oil capsules because flax oil upsets my stomach. It's also good to get O-3's from diet---nuts, eggs, fish, canola oil, etc.---but they have a much lower concentration.

Calli

Comment

Hi, Calli. Thanks for that great insight. I tried some flax oil samples from Rebecca - mixed with yogurt - and didn't have any stomach problems (I save that for the doxy ...) Know of anyone who uses both capsules and oil? I'm wondering if that wouldn't do more potential harm than good.

Incidentally, I got into it with Dr. Latkany on this subject last week and he thinks that Norweigan salmon oil capsules - mixed with as little else as possible, i.e. no Vitamin E - are the best route if you're going to stick with capsules at all. I've been using TheraTears capsules, but apparently there's a great debate about the usefulness of E vs. potential heart damage.

Comment

RobLic, I've been taking Theratears capsules too for a few months. Not sure if they help and haven't gotten into the vitamin E thing. Lucy
        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
        X