Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

connection between fluoride intake and dry eye?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• connection between fluoride intake and dry eye?

There have been some discussions on the board about a link between tooth/root canal problems and dry eye...so I thought I'd throw this one in to see if anyone has any views...

Last December I started having a whoel series of problems with my very heavily filled teeth (basically, lots of work needs to be redone, after being there for years and years) and he gave me some toothpaste containing very high levels of fluoride - 2800ppm - which is only available on presription or from dentists.

He said it would help to reduce the dreadful hypersensitivity to cold/hot, well, almost anything actually - which it has done to some extent.

However, my dry eye symptoms have recently got worse. I can't help wondering if there's any connection?

Anyone had a similar experience, or read anything about it?

I used a prescription toothpaste like you describe for about 6 months or so and noticed no difference in my DES.
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Eva B,

Fluoride could easily be connected with dry eyes. Fluoride was actually prescribed as a medicine back in the day, for Hyperthyroidism. Hyperthyroidism is a condition in which the Thyroid gland is working too fast. Fluoride was prescribed because of it's effect on the thyroid-it surpresses it, slowing it down. the doses they used to prescribe were actually lower than what is now contained in most people's drinking water. fluoride is a heavy metal that lodges in the body and the body's organs. their are many studies in medical journals that confirm this. the thyroid is an important factor in dry eye...as many have stated.

also-many studies have confirmed that when ingested fluoride does not promote strong teeth, it might have an effect when rinsing the mouth, but when ingested it is not certain at all that it promotes strong teeth.

Rhad

Comment

I have had non-flouridated well water in my house for over 30 years. I don't think there is a connection for me.

Comment

Working...
        X