Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi biotears capsules benefit?

Hi

do these products do the same thing as just taking flaxseed oil etc?

BioTears Oral GelCaps http://www.biosyntrx.com/Product1.htm

theres a new product at the end, which claimes to do more:
    http://www.bettykamen.com/articles/biotears.htm

how long is a worthwile time to try something then give up coz its not working? 1-2-3 months. I tried visivite capsules for 1 month, didnt see any improvement so gave up. i would of just carried on but it cost $80 to get them delivered internationally these bio gel capsules cost about $50, so abit cheeper

At the moment im just taking a cocktail of gamma liceed oil, omega 3s(fish oil), NAC x3 daily. would this have the same effect anyway?
    I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

You asked if the combination of oils you're taking does the same as Biotears etc. Yes they are similar but obviously the stuff youre taking is you own personal recipe. Biotears et all is formulated by scientists and is supposedly an optimum formula of an assured quality + it contains several nutrient co-factors as you probably know. That doesent mean they work.

Second question, I know that the Theratears nutrition is meant to take effect in four to eight weeks and Biotears claims two weeks.

The new product you refer to 'biotears plus' has been discontinued as far as I am aware. I have been looking at the Biosyntrx website since '03 and there has never been any mention of it although I have heard of it before. The article was probably written a few years ago. Biotears plus may have been shelved because it contains a pro-hormone, not sure.

I have two bottles of bio-tears left over, sealed in plasic which I don't intend on using. I'll send them to you if you want, as we both live in UK.

Comment

I've had good luck with borage oil.

Comment

Jcorbet:
        how many mg do you take per day. couldnt find borage but am tring something else which apparently highest source of gamma linceed oil. but only says to take one capsule per day?
        I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

It's nearly impossible to "know" if something works. If the product has clinical proof that it works and the clinical study is posted in a referee or peer review journal, it will work. It doesn't necessarily have to itself be proven to do a particular thing. Example: Company A publishes a study showing Vitamin C cures blah. Company B needs to establish bioavailability at the cellular level and then the Vitamin C should do whatever Company A's published study shows it does. I hope that's not too hard to understand. The referee and peer review process is extremely difficult which is why it holds so much credibility in the medical community. This is why nutritional supplements are scrutinized so harshly by the medical community. Many supplement manufacturers make medical claims without having the science to back up their claim. Look for a company that has a long history of published research to back up their products. I assure you that you won't find many, but they exist.

Comment

I take one borage oil capsules twice a day. One capsule is 240 mg gla. I got mine at a health food store, although I have seen them sold on the internet. I didn't check GNC to see if they had them.

Comment

I think it is also difficult to determine the effectiveness of supplements because of the variety of people's diets. If your diet is low in low in certain foods, then you may get more benefit from supplements that are in those foods compared to the next person.
              And as far as dry eye goes, there is not a hard and fast reason for dry eye that we all share. So different things work for different people.

Comment

Biotears is great. It is NOT the same as taking flaxseed etc, which i've tried for months with no relief. It is specially formulated with certain anti-inflammatory ingredients e.g lactoferrin and turmeric and loaded w/ antioxidants. I felt a difference the day i used them and I have very severe dry eyes. That's not to say that they are going to work for everybody, but i've always found that the natural route is usually the best route. Also, stay away from sugars, artificial sweeteners and caffeine--this can aggravate dry eye. There is a great book called The Eye Care Book which details a lot of diet changes that are very helpful. Good luck!

Comment

You felt a difference the day you used them? I don't doubt it, but when I called the company they told me that it takes several weeks for the benefits to start taking effect. This just goes to prove that, first, there may be quite a bit of random variation in one's dry eye condition from day to day, and second, that the placebo effect is quite powerful.

Comment

No randomness and no placebo effect

You have to understand that my condition was VERY bad. 0 in both eyes on the shrimer's test. There was no random effect or placebo effect. I literally FELT my eyes open up. They obviously got better when I started using it for a couple of weeks. Before I kept my eyes partially closed and I have pretty big eyes. I wasn't taking anything else at the time AND I never felt my eyes feel that good. It's not like my eyes felt good one day and bad the next, they felt like **** everyday. I was at work and I kept looking at my eyes in the mirror. I couldn't believe my eyes!!! They were clear and OPEN! Now I have .5 in one eye and 1.5 in the other on the Shrimer's test.

Comment

Biotears

Hi
                      I have recently been diagnosed with having Dry Eye and have seen Biotears advertised. Is it in a liquid form or tablets?
                      Sorry to be a bit thick. Im new to all this and am at my wits end with trying to find something to relieve the dryness.

Thanks
                      Lorraine

Comment

Originally posted by livinginthesun
                        Hi
                        I have recently been diagnosed with having Dry Eye and have seen Biotears advertised. Is it in a liquid form or tablets?
                        Capsules.

Don't worry Lorraine, we were all new to this at some point and had the same questions! The name "Biotears" is a little misleading anyway (a lot of people assume they are artificial tears).
                        Rebecca Petris
                        The Dry Eye Foundation
                        dryeyefoundation.org
                        800-484-0244

Comment

BioTears

Hi Everybody,

I've been using BioTears for about a year now and I rarely have to use any eye drops now.

HOWEVER
                          -- I also take a lot of other supplements-- one of which is FISH OIL and sometimes I take flax oil too. I plan to be more vigilant about the flax soon though.

My dry eyes are not related to any lasik surgery -- just something my body is just doing to itself I guess. I've tested with high ANA values, but the Sjogrens tests came back negative, so who knows why -- could be "age" [read; menopause], could be "thyroid" -- ???

I've recently started watching a tv health program called Your Health - it's hosted by Dr Richard Becker. The show is on the FamilyNet [ religion ] channel and is broadcasted nationally. Dr Becker is an osteopath and considers himself "alternative". The format of the show, is that he discusses health news, then has a discussion on a health topic, then takes viewers calls. More than one viewer has called in complaining about "Dry eyes".

Dr Becker recommends the Omega 3's for dry eyes -- fish oil AND flax seed oil. He said that the reason to take both has to do with one having a "long chain _________" and the other having a "short chain _________" -- ??? -- I can't remember the exact wording he used -- but I have read what he's talking about... just not able to recall the details anymore. [sigh]

He explained that if someone has an Omega 3 deficiency and if it goes on for too long -- then it can turn into a disease. He described dry eyes and skin rosasea as symptoms of an Omega 3 deficiency. He said that sometimes it may require taking up 5 grams of the Omega 3's a day.

I must mention that Dr Becker does have a supplement company, so sometimes the show may feel a LITTLE like an infomercial, but not really. He often says to a viewer that they have to work with their doctor, that medicines are often necessary, but should be the last resort. Overall, I just find the program very informative and wished I had discovered it a long time ago.

ANYWAY-- I've been taking the Omega 3's for quite a while, but have just upped my dose -- and "so-far-so-good". Every body's different -- the supplement approach might not work for everybody, but it has helped me dramatically.

Best wishes...
                          Jann

Comment

biotears

Jannz
                            When did you first notice the difference in your eyes? Do they look and feel better?

Comment

is it healthy to take all these supplements in one day, i am taking, fish oil=might up the dose now, GLA, ester C, B6, NAC. and i wanted to take one for my sinus's. just seems like so much..??

Comment

Working...
                              X