X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probiotics Article

this month's eyeworld I believe.

http://www.eyeworld.org/article.php?sid=4964

Some validation to those that have said they have experienced improvement through probiotics.

Awesome

This is great stuff. Dr Latkany has mentioned probiotics for ocular rosacea in a response on DEZ before. I wonder if you can get these compounded and if Dr Latkany is treating with these now...

Gretchen

Comment

wow, these pictures were impressive. I'd like to dry out these drops right away Any idea when they will be available? In our country we consume a lot of probiotics with food but I would rather put them into my eye and see some results.

Comment

something that I will at least ask about next time I see Dr. L in two weeks.

From searching previous posts, I know one person soaked their eyes (eyes closed of course) in probiotc yogurt and saw a bunch of relief. you can buy the same probiotic used in the study as a liquid....presumably you could dilute it and at least rub it on your lids for a little while as I am sure some would be absorbed....certainly wouldnt recommend putting it directly in your eye though at this point.
        Last edited by dryasadesert; 20-May-2009, 13:28.

Comment

Originally posted by dryasadesert View Post
          something that I will at least ask about next time I see Dr. L in two weeks.

From searching previous posts, I know one person soaked their eyes (eyes closed of course) in probiotc yogurt and saw a bunch of relief. you can buy the same probiotic used in the study as a liquid....presumably you could dilute it and at least rub it on your lids for a little while as I am sure some would be absorbed....certainly wouldnt recommend putting it directly in your eye though at this point.
          let us know what Dr L thinks about probiotic.

Comment

very interesting post !!!!!!!
            I really hope its another possible avenues for complete cure for us lad...
            mmm for the info, I have tried oral probiotics for three months...three months of increased hunger, good digestion and not to mention, increase going to the toilette frequency :P!!...

oh btw I also tried Aloe Vera pure Liquid concentrate....1/1/2 months....I must admit that it got a hell of a taste... its one of the reason I didn't make it for two months..!!... Result?.... increase toilette frequency X 2

keep in touch
            If I have to choose between being happy and sad, I''ll choose being happy....... and you?... so.... stop choosing being unhappy (yeah its hard but....)....stop depressing........ live!!!

Comment

What would one do exactly to try probiotics as a "treatment"? Are those drops available anywhere?

Comment

not yet as far as I know...

You can try taking oral supplements in the interim...such as Acidophilus at GNC (which I think is the same bacteria in the drops that were tested).

That's about all for now...you can also buy the same probiotics from the test in liquid form and potentially dilute it and rub it on your eyelids as some would presumably be absorbed...but no eye drops as of yet.

I will post what Dr L think after I see him in two weeks...

Comment

These supplements, etc., of which you speak... where can they be purchased?

Thx

Comment

as noted in my previous post...GNC among others palces....google Lactobacillus acidophilus, which is the probiotic in the article.

Comment

What is GNC?

Comment

Hi, dan_can :

General Nutrition Centers, a "health food store" chain with retail outlets in the USA and Canada. Below is the Store Locator link.

Can't comment one way or the other about the matters you-all are discussing on this thread, nor do I necessarily endorse (nor do I dis-endorse) the GNC chain
                        . . . but I had a few minutes to post and thought that I would answer your immediate question.

http://www.gnc.com/corp/gncStoreLocator.jsp

Comment

Rosacea = Ocular Rosacea = Allergies ??

Nice, good alternative to roids!! I wonder how you differentiate allergic conjunctivits and ocular rosacea when presenting with a red eye. Besides history and symptoms!! Interesting though, he said it could treat ocular rosacea. Hmm, I think he may be implying that ocular rosacea is synonymous with allergies!! Brilliant just brilliant!
                          Which is it? Is it what you know or who you know? Or is it how well you convey what you know to who you know it to?

-Tim

Comment

Oral probiotics...researched brands

Since you all have been so helpful to me, I hope I can be helpful here. I just started taking these and did alot of researcy. For those taking that option, be sure to check out this study by Consumer Labs as most probiotics do NOT have nearly the amount of live cells as they claim.
                            http://www.npicenter.com/images/prof...rLabReport.pdf

The bottom line is that refrigerated pills tend to do best, but not all are equal. Culturelle jumps out as a brand that survived the testing best.

Comment

Probiotics

Very interesting but such a small study. I take Activia which has probiotics in it and I do not see any change in my DES.

Comment

Working...
                              X