new and question about fish oil supplements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new and question about fish oil supplements

Hi everyone. I registered here a few months ago and have read some, but this is my first time posting. I looked around for similar questions to the one I'm about to ask, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. So I hope it's ok to start a new thread.

I've been suffering from pretty bad dry eyes since I got Lasik about three years ago. I'm 26 and in pretty good health besides the eye pain.

It has been recommended to me that I take fish oil/omega-3s to see if that helps my eyes. I'm just confused about what to take. A dietitian I went to strongly suggested Metagenics EPA-DHA 720 - 2 capsules of them contain 860 mg of EPA and 580 mg of DHA.

She said that flaxseed oil isn't the best way to get omega-3s because they are harder for your body to absorb. However, I've read some dry eye success stories here and elsewhere and it seems like a lot of people think that flaxseed oil was/is a big part in their success.

So I'm just wondering what your opinions are. I've already started taking the Metagenics without the flaxseed oil, but do you think it would be more beneficial to take a supplement that has flaxseed oil as well, such as TheraTears Nutrition (http://store.theratears.com/detail.aspx?ID=2)?Those don't have as much EPA and DHA as the Metagenics, but they contain flaxseed oil and Vitamin E.

I would really appreciate any input/suggestions - thank you so much.

fish oil

hi

i've also been told to take fish & flax seed oil
    but, last week someone cautioned me about the flax seed oil because it can become rancid.
    so...if you do use it, you should refrigerate it.
    hugs, betty

Originally posted by desperateyes View Post
    Hi everyone. I registered here a few months ago and have read some, but this is my first time posting. I looked around for similar questions to the one I'm about to ask, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. So I hope it's ok to start a new thread.

I've been suffering from pretty bad dry eyes since I got Lasik about three years ago. I'm 26 and in pretty good health besides the eye pain.

It has been recommended to me that I take fish oil/omega-3s to see if that helps my eyes. I'm just confused about what to take. A dietitian I went to strongly suggested Metagenics EPA-DHA 720 - 2 capsules of them contain 860 mg of EPA and 580 mg of DHA.

She said that flaxseed oil isn't the best way to get omega-3s because they are harder for your body to absorb. However, I've read some dry eye success stories here and elsewhere and it seems like a lot of people think that flaxseed oil was/is a big part in their success.

So I'm just wondering what your opinions are. I've already started taking the Metagenics without the flaxseed oil, but do you think it would be more beneficial to take a supplement that has flaxseed oil as well, such as TheraTears Nutrition (http://store.theratears.com/detail.aspx?ID=2)?Those don't have as much EPA and DHA as the Metagenics, but they contain flaxseed oil and Vitamin E.

I would really appreciate any input/suggestions - thank you so much.

Comment

Flaxseed seems to be most the most often type of Omega-3s for dry eye sufferers but I have no clue why it would be recommended over fish oil.

Most practitioners I have seen that are not eye doctors recommend Carlsons or Nordic Naturals fish oil - liquid being better than capsule form.

Comment

Working...
      X