Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

that balding blog site and omega 3 warnings!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• that balding blog site and omega 3 warnings!

Not sure if any of you have seen that "balding blog" website and search for "flax oil hair loss". There are LOTS of claims by people who say omega 3 (flax for many and fish for some) has caused their hair to shed big time. Theratears nutrition is something I'd like to add to help with the mild dryness/hard crust but after reading that I'm in a little doubt. Anyone (especially MEN) experience hair thinning/shedding or other problems from theratears nutrition? Perhaps the hair shedding only applies to the more concentrated oils? Need some input.

I would be very sceptical about any claims that Omega 3s, and or any DES product that contains 3s, causes hair loss. As someone who also has thinning hair and looked around for the silver bullet cure , fatty acids (EPA\DHA) are promoted for healthy hair, amongst a myriad of other nutritional benefits.

1. Shedding of hair is promoted as sign of new growth and good things to come. Not always the case from personal experience, however.
    2. Many people are experimenting with multiple remedies for hair loss at any given time. Any one of these factors could have been the cause of their shedding. It is far less likely to be Omega 3 use. Unless there's hard evidence, it just doesn't stack up.

Case in point. I am detoxing for heavy metals currently and finding enormous benefit for my hair after just a month. before that, no matter of solutions I was trying would help. If you do some homework on metal toxicity, it is scary the large amount of people with over exposure to heavy metals and toxins through any number of means!!

Jamie
    Jamie

Comment

Hi, Jamie.

What are you doing to detox? How can you tell it's working?

I've been curious about trying it, but I get a lot of conflicting information.

Thanks,
      Liz

Comment

Hi Liz,

I am using a product called Bio Chelat. It comes as drops and is easy to take with few if any side effects. You are right in saying there is a lot of conjecture out there regarding differing treatments for detoxes! The feedback I have encountered is that EDTA - as the main ingredient of Bio Chelat and others - is not effective at removing mercury that is buried in the tissues. However, it is effective for a number of other substances it seems. eg, Lead, Nickel, Cadmium and so on. It depends on what you are affected by but it is generally thought that most people have trace, or much larger unsafe, build ups of Lead, aluminium and so on. Once metals have built up in your body, often over many years, they work to block the uptake of essentials minerals and vitamins in the cells or cell receptor sites within the body - especially mercury which is particularly nasty! This process is insidious in nature, that's why it often goes unchecked for a long time.

So far so good for me with Bio Chelat, though I am going to follow up at some point with a proper hair mineral analysis to confirm whether I need to keep detoxing for a longer period. I would suggest doing the hair analysis first.

This a good reference web site. http://www.gordonresearch.com/

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Jamie
        Jamie

Comment

Thanks, Jamie. I'm going to look into this.

--Liz

Comment

Sorry I'm a little late to the party here, but I was just reading that baldingblog thread and I have to say it's pretty alarming to me. There are over 150 reports of people experiencing sudden and severe hairloss after taking high doses of either flax or fish oil. Here's the thread:

http://www.baldingblog.com/2006/04/1...and-hair-loss/

I personally have been battling hairloss for many years, and I was considering starting a high dose of fish oil this week for my dry eye. But now, I'm not so sure.

Many of the respondants to that thread felt that taking fresh ground flax seed instead of oil might actually have the opposite effect and promote hair growth.

I have to wonder if the problem could be that the people experiencing hairloss were not taking pharmeceutical grade oils?

I may still try the oil and just see, I suppose I can always stop and hope my hair returns to normal if I have any problems. But it's another psychological blow to an already fustrating problem.

Comment

Working...
            X