This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long term use of doxy

I have been using doxycycline for about 16 months. I am getting really nervous about the long term use of an antibiotic. Presciption drugs aren't my style, but desperate times call for desperate measures. I have been suffering from dry eyes for over two years now, as a result of PRK. I had a pretty decent summer and felt like I took a lot of steps in getting my life back. Recently (since the beginning of September), however, I feel like I have been really, really struggling again. I am certainly not as depressed as I was, but just down. And, gosh darn it, my eyes hurt like hell.

I have made a couple of changes that may be contributing to the change in comfort level -
    1. in July I went off of birth control hoping that it would help my dryness
    2. About two-three weeks ago I stopped taking Gabapentin (neurontin). I have been taking this pain medication for about a year. I went off of it because I felt like I had truley improved enought to not be on it, but I am really experiencing an increased level in pain, pain that I refer to as my nerve pain. I have lots of different symptoms, but it seems like I don't have the sore, aching, raw pain as much when I am on the Gabapentin.

Sometimes it is so difficult to determine what helps and what doesn't and I guess I am frustrated.

I really don't like being on all of these prescription medications.

I am having tummy troubles which is why I want to go off the anti-biotic, but I hate to change yet another treatment.

Your thoughts are helpful!

Thanks,

MDE

Originally posted by MyDryEyes View Post
    I have been using doxycycline for about 16 months. I am getting really nervous about the long term use of an antibiotic. Presciption drugs aren't my style, but desperate times call for desperate measures. I have been suffering from dry eyes for over two years now, as a result of PRK. I had a pretty decent summer and felt like I took a lot of steps in getting my life back. Recently (since the beginning of September), however, I feel like I have been really, really struggling again. I am certainly not as depressed as I was, but just down. And, gosh darn it, my eyes hurt like hell.

I have made a couple of changes that may be contributing to the change in comfort level -
    1. in July I went off of birth control hoping that it would help my dryness
    2. About two-three weeks ago I stopped taking Gabapentin (neurontin). I have been taking this pain medication for about a year. I went off of it because I felt like I had truley improved enought to not be on it, but I am really experiencing an increased level in pain, pain that I refer to as my nerve pain. I have lots of different symptoms, but it seems like I don't have the sore, aching, raw pain as much when I am on the Gabapentin.

Sometimes it is so difficult to determine what helps and what doesn't and I guess I am frustrated.

I really don't like being on all of these prescription medications.

I am having tummy troubles which is why I want to go off the anti-biotic, but I hate to change yet another treatment.

Your thoughts are helpful!

Thanks,

MDE
    Hi,

I've known a number of people who have taken neurontin ( for nerve pain related to their peripheral neuropathies and spinal cord disorders) and found it helpful. Some of them have said that the pain is much more tolerable and as a result, they can function better. Conversely, I've also known people who have tried it and found that it did not relieve their pain symptoms and/or had adverse side effects (i.e. drowsiness) that they could not tolerate.

Perhaps because neurontin comes in many different strengths, you might want to ask your doctor if he could prescribe it at a lower dose (that's both therapeutic and comfortable for you to use).

Like you, I am also really adverse to taking prescription medications (unless its medically necessary) and until recently for example, have had to take medrol (a steroid) mainly given to me in a low dose, for twelve years (which was needed to control serious manifestations of an underlying auto-immune disease I have)

From my own experience, I think it's very important to discuss with your doctor, your reasons for not wanting to continue taking the medication and perhaps he could prescribe a lower dose that you would be more comfortable with.

I hope I have been of some help to you.

Pam

Comment

Working...
    X