This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is azasite worth $200?

My eye doc prescribed azasite (at my request) 2 weeks ago at my check-up. She agreed it "might help" the inflammation & dryness I have. My insurance does not cover it so I'm wondering if it's worth it for the 9 days or however long the bottle lasts.

I'm thinking now that it might really help me out because I have the 2nd stye of my life. Interestingly, both have developed since I quit using Refresh PM at night... I've been continuously practicing good lid hygeine and have increased the frequency of the warm compresses without much relief.

Any ideas or thoughts? Thanks!

Azasite really helps some people so it may be worth a shot, but $200 is a lot of money. Couldn't your doctor give you a sample or two and you should be able to determine from that if it will work for you. I'd call your doctor and ask for a sample, then you could get it for free!

Comment

Hi Alison,

I think that with dry eye, everyone is so different, that it is hard to predict what will work for a patient. I've seen people on this board have good success with Azasite and I've also seen people who get major burning and irritation with it. For me personally, it did not do any harm or good...well, maybe a tiny bit of good, but once I was off it, the tiny improvement went away.

If I were you, I would give it a shot. Out of all the things we've tried for dry eyes and money already spent on it, $200 really isn't much compared to spending so much on everything else. Besides, if it works for you, then it's totally worth it! Can you ask your doc for sample bottles of Azasite? I got two sample bottles from my doc, which lasted me for 5 weeks. Each sample bottle lasted for 2.5 weeks. The trick is to give one hard shake to bring the fluid down to the drop before squeezing the bottle to drop into eye. That makes sure that you are able to use every last drop.

Comment

Did your doctor think it would do anything for the sty?

I'm sure all of us are different... Personally, I wouldn't shell out that much unless I was getting pretty desperate. I guess what I would be thinking is, suppose it does help, would I be willing/able to pay that on an ongoing basis.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

I agree with Odydnas that if it does help, then it is definitely worth it...we spend money on so many things-sometimes on going out, buying clothes, having a nice dinner with someone-- but do all these things really make us happy if our eyes feel miserable?
          it almost feels like the prerequisite to feeling good about anything, including the things we spend money on, is not feeling the terrible eye discomfort and pain...

Comment

Oh I forgot to add that the Azasite is usually only used for 1 month. Some people find tremendous relief from it, and will not need to use it again for many months later when they need to get out of a rut. Of course, there are people who do pulse it every couple months or so. And I'm sure there are some people who use it for an ongoing basis. There are no studies about the effects of long term use though.

But, I don't think that most people use it continuously, like how we use Restasis for an ongoing basis. It's used more like how we use steroids - when we need it, and then taper it down when we feel better, and only go back to it to get out of a rut. So it's not likely that you will be shelling out $200 every 2 weeks for the rest of your life.

Comment

I have to say that I don't think it made my eyes feel any different, yes it stung when it went for a minute or two, but other then that it made no difference. I used it for at least a month, maybe a week or two longer. My Dr. gave me a free sample.

Having said that I am glad I tried it, better to get it out of the way then be wondering if it''s the wonder drop.

Bernadette

Comment

Thanks for the advice and detailed information - I really appreciate it! When I was at the doc's office they were out of samples but I'm going to call today to see if they have gotten any more in yet. I'd rather know for sure before I shell out the $$ at this point.

Comment

If you get the Azasite, you can store it upside down in a shot glass. This will help you get every last drop, along with the good idea above, giving it the good shake.

Comment

Working...
                  X