• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• doxycillen interactions

Hi All
    Just started back on Doxy after two and a half years
    Have hit a bad spell
    Anyway I found out that you should not take mineral suppliments when taking Tetracyclines (that includes Doxy and minocin)apparantly the doxy is not absorbed.Also of course you should not take indegestion remedies at the same time either

If taking antacids or supplements containing aluminum, calcium or magnesium, while on doxy, you don't have to discontinue the antacid or supplement... just take it a few hours before or after the doxy - as long as the minerals in question are not in the gut at the same time as the doxy, you will avoid the interaction.

If those minerals are in the gut with doxy, they bind together with the doxy and prevent the body from absorbing it... that's the mechanism for the interaction... This is why if you ingest those minerals a few hours apart from the doxy, the interaction will not occur, as the minerals will not be in the gut at the same time as the doxy.

Comment

Thanks for that Saag - i just assumed I would have to stop my multivitamin /mineral suppliment
      I take loads of suppliments for arthritis and dry eye

Comment

Glad I could help!

Comment

Working...
        X