This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low-dose doxy, long-term users?

Do we have any users on the board who have been long-term users of low-dose (say 40 mg or so) doxy? How long have you been on it, and what have your doctors said about maintaining it "permanently"? Thanks all. Rob

I'm a long-term user of 100 mg. To be honest, I cannot recall exactly how long I've been on it but it's several years. My GP prescribes it on the consultants' advice: I have routine medical reviews so I am taking it under supervision.

A possible risk is high blood pressure (for anyone taking doxy) so I have mine checked every couple of years. I think it can cause the skin to thin and become more sensitive; that is why one is advised to use a high sun protection factor.

I have recently switched to Minocycline because it's slow release and therefore easier on the stomach. I have an ulcer - and the consultant thought Minocycline might be a bit gentler on the system. (Stomach problems not caused by Doxy). I also take acidophilus daily and make sure to swallow the capsules whole and with plenty of water - usually after having eaten a little something.

So, there might be problems in long term use but I've tried to follow doctors' advice & guidance and I don't think it's caused me to have anything major. Of course I would rather not take anything but then I consider the consequences.

Comment

Hey guys, how long.

About Doxy, I used it in doses of 100mg once a day, but my Ophthal returned from a conference he had in Boston and said he had seen studies that say it is better to do intake at lower doses and more times a day. In my case, I am taking 50mg 2x a day, morning and night. It made me much more effect that way.

Another big problem I was having was the stomach flu after eating the doxy. NEVER take it in empty stomach, always with some food and liquid, is not going to be really bad.

I'm on doxy to six months and not know what the long-term side effects. I know that it improved the acne on my face, hehehe

Remembering that it takes around two weeks for us to feel the effect of a change in dose of doxy.

Comment

My GP is perfectly happy for me to take 25mgs daily indefinately She says she has patients with acne on it long term at 50mgs
        I find it really helps my MGD/DE I start with 100mgs for a week then down to 50 for about 3 weeks then 25mg maintainance dose -- That suits me and I gradually get better-not completely better -I still have to do eyelid hygiene once a day but better enough that I can forget about my eyes during the day and dont even use drops except at night
        I have just finished a 8 week spell of Doxy and after stopping so far my symptoms are minimal (I have been told it contiues to work even after you stop)
        So I will give it a break but I know it is there if I get a bad flare-up

I would consider 100mgs daily to be a high dose - 25 daily is a minimal dose and so there are less side effects.Dr Latkany in his book seems to use it at 20 mgs daily for 6 weeks -I qoute one of his examples

Comment

Interesting observations guys, thanks for your time. I definitely consider 100 mg to be a high dose, i.e. anti-bacterial more than anti-inflammatory. I've done it for a few months at a time in the past and always end up stopping when the sunburn becomes too much to bear. As always, it's difficult to quantify how much a 40 or 50 mg dose actually "helps" matters. Best, Rob

Comment

Working...
          X