X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The benefits of oral antibiotics

Hi

I thought I'd share my experience with you. I stopped taking lymecycline (belongs to the same family of drug that doxycycline belongs to). I stopped because it was suggested that taking antibiotics makes seborrheic dermatitis worse.

Results

(a) I've stopped the antibiotic for two weeks - no improvement in my seborrheic dermatitis, at all. Maybe worsened.

(b) Within three days of stopping my eyes have slowly started to feel very sore and irritated. They don't look any redder but certainly feel very uncomfortable, dry and watery. I am feeling very uncomfortable indeed!

Conclusion

This demonstrates the benefits of anti-inflammatory antibiotics in improving (not curing) blepharitis symptoms caused by seb derm or ocular rosacea for me personally. We all differ and before this I didnt quite see the scientific rationale for the use of antibiotics - especially when the cause is unknown.

I will resume my antibitiotics tomorrow and report any progress.

I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the glorious weather ( well in London anyway)

using doxy

I totally agree..i use 100 mg a day...and this has definitely improved my life and eyes 70 percent! I almost feel normal...except at work...still so freakin dry there...

Comment

doxycycline (tetracycline antibiotics)

Ultimately, this class of drugs may prove to be enormously useful for a surprising number of conditions, and the reasons are given in this rather long article (the meat of it is about halfway down the page):

http://dermatologytimes.modernmedici....jsp?id=383309

Briefly, these antibiotics have an antibacterial activity that everyone knows about, but they also have a wide range of anti inflammatory effects. Doxy, for example, is known to be useful in both Reactive Arthritis, as well as osteoarthritis.

You can google all this, and solid experimental info will turn up, as well as some off the wall stuff. Personally, I have been treated very effectively with 100mg doxy for both Reactive Arthritis and rosacea. There's a good chance I'll wind up using a low dose for my increasing problems with dry eye.

Comment

Working...
      X