This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relief at last thanks to FML

So I saw three different eye doctors after my DES worsened and I developed Keratitis punctata. All of them put me on FML. I was so confused I did not even listened to them until Ringo said to me it was good advice. I then started using it and it's been doing wonders.

It didn't seem to work so well before or maybe "I didn't believe I could trust the doctors who prescribed it, which conditioned me not to notice the improvement" I really don't know...

But the question now is, for how long can I take FML? Is it to be used only when you have a blepharitis flare up? If so should I get off it as soon as I can? The three doctors that prescribed it told me to stay on it for 7 days, 10 days, and 3 weeks and to reduce the doze gradually. Ringo said she had to stay on it for a full month.

It is a steroid so it can't be a good idea to stay on it for very long. How do you manage it's use?

Happy for you

Although I have not been responding to your posts, I have been reading them. My heart has been breaking for you. I am so glad to read on here that you are getting some relief. I hope that this is the beginning of something good for you.

Comment

Thank you Skeeter--- your support is greatly appreciated!

Comment

yea!

Finally something that is giving you relief! I would stay on for 3 weeks and read old posts! Im so happy for you hon!

Comment

What is FML?

Thanks..

Comment

I'm so glad something is working for you at last! Best of luck with it
            The eye altering, alters all - William Blake

Comment

Shell, FML is fluorometholone, a corticosteroid.

Comment

Thanks for sharing Ariel

Glad it seems to be working for you. I also take FML occasionally, and notice a great improvement.

As it is one of the weakest corticosteroids, it's one of the better steroids to use. Dexamethasone and Pred Forte are some of the harder steroids that can cause more severe problems.

The two main problems with corticosteroids are that they can 1. increase intraocular pressure, which can lead to glaucoma. 2. Can increase risk of developing a specific type of cataract.

FML, again being a slightly weaker steroid, tends not to cause the pressure spike/increase in intraocular pressure. Have you eye doctor check your pressure after you have been on it for at least a month to see if you have in increase in pressure.

As I stated, I use it myself, one drop each eye in the morning. I have been doing this for a few months now. Really helps with the inflammation that I have from MGD and noctural lagophthalmus.

Thanks for posting.

Comment

DocwithDryEye, http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/forum...ENTS-amp-PROS) 'Open Forum Patients and Pros' is waiting for you http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...7763#post67763

Keen to know how you are managing with your own dry eyes. We have seen 3 ODs with dry eye. Is it from air conditioning and not blinking while they are concentrating examining people in dessicating exam rooms with no windows - do you think that's true? I've noticed one of our dry eye ODs barely blinks at all while we are talking. It looks like the eye surface becomes desensitised and the prompt to blink reduces.

Can increase risk of developing a specific type of cataract
                  We have used steroids for 6y: including 2 courses of Pred Forte td 2m, 2 courses of dexamethosone on tapering doses starting td 2wk, on/off FML tapering courses starting qid 2wk or td 4wk or 2wk for 4y. What specific type of cataract am I looking for?

This is an extinct archive thread ending 2010 - Ariel posted that his dry eye was cured with allergy treatments http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...-blepharitis!!
                  Last edited by littlemermaid; 27-Apr-2014, 14:49.
                  Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Thanks for posting littlemermaid

I would agree that things like the air conditioning and not blinking while concentrating is a major contributor to dry eye, as well as working on the computer, being under florescent lights, and not taking breaks from work. These are just a few brief examples.

From my understanding, it is post subcapsular cataracts that can show up sooner then later while on steroid, especially nasal corticosteroids for allergy.

In terms of Ariel's post: Cromolyn is used as for allergies, as noted. This drug should have no effect that I know of on meibomian glands and oil expression. It would be a stretch to argue that the mast cell stabalizier in the drug reduced some irriation of the eye, but as we know, most allergy meds and drops can make dry eye WORSE. I would expect that Areil had a more significant allergy eye then dry eye, and so they noted improvement while on this drop due to the improvement in allergy symptoms.

Thanks again for posting

DocwithDryEye.

Comment

I would expect that Areil had a more significant allergy eye then dry eye, and so they noted improvement while on this drop due to the improvement in allergy symptoms.
                      DWDE, Yes, that's right. Ariel is long gone now, hopefully cured, but he had moved into a house in the hills in Spain which gave him allergies.
                      Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

I use it when I need it. If my eye(s) start to get red or inflamed, I will put a drop in for a few days.

Love FML.

Comment

Working...
                        X