Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How soon to see results on 100mg doxycycline?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How soon to see results on 100mg doxycycline?

Hi there,

I am trying to get together an idea of how soon doxy can be expected to work. Those of you who are on it for post lasik 'dry eye' MGD, do you find it helpful?

What dosage did you start with? Are you on a maintenance dose . . .for how long?

Does the doxy help with the 'shards of glass' feeling?

Thanks!

I think you should wait for 3 months

Hello!
    Doxy did nothing for me, unfortunatelly. But my doctor told me I should wait for 3 months until I can be sure that the drug is really not working for me. So I took doxy for 3 month with no result and than quit.
    I hope that you're going to have more success with doxy.
    Have you tried ciclosporine yet? I take Ciclosporine with liposome 2 times a day (0,05 % like Restasis) and since then my dry eyes are very much better. They only bother me in air conditioned rooms or when someone is smoking (I hate smoke!!)
    Please don't hesitate to correct my English - I'm still learning

Comment

Hi Suzie,

I have not tried the ciclosporine yet. I'm not sure how effective it is for post lasik dry eye?

I am glad that it works for you. It is unfortunate that the doxy did not help you.

Fortunately, in Canada, there are very few places that people can smoke!

By the way, your English is great!!

Comment

Hi there,
        I think ciclosporine is effective no matter what caused your dry eyes. I've read a lot of posts in this forum about ciclosporin or restasis and there were a lot of post lasic sufferers among the ciclosporin users.
        but i think you should try the doxy first for a few months. if you mix doxy with ciclosporine you don't know which of the two helped you:-)
        I wish you good look with the doxy!!
        Please don't hesitate to correct my English - I'm still learning

Comment

I was put on 100mg Doxycycline for a 3 month course to shift Blepharitis along with lid-scrubs/massage it was gone in 1 month..

Comment

Colin,

I have trouble with the Blepharitis coming back once I go off the doxy. Do you have this issue? I only use 50 mg.

Suzie I agree with you about not knowing which medication works when a person is on so many different ones each day. I am starting to pick and choose which drops to put in depending on how my eyes feel; dry, sandy, burning, sticky, a few filaments, a lot of filaments, dry mouth, etc.

Comment

Trac, my Bleph has not come back thankfully. I do massage eye-lids and lid scrub once a day- first thing to hopefully aviod it returning.

Comment

Thanks for the posts!

I don't have Bleph. I was given the doxy for MGD. Is it helpful for MGD too?
                Colin, glad to hear the doxy was so effective for you!
                Trac, I agree it can be hard to tell what is working sometimes.

Comment

Colin, what exactly is an eye lid massage? Also what do you scrub with and how do you scrub? I did an eye lid scrub once and ended up with an eye lid infection, my eye lids were almost swollen shut. It made a bad situation worse.

Comment

Hi Trac. Youre best off asking the forum members, as we have/had different methods or looking it up on google.
                    Over here in U.K we/i was showed (n.h.s) that warm face towel, not scolding hot, as your eyelids are very thin! head back and rested over both eyes, This is a fresh face towel that no-one else uses but you! used boiled then left to cool/lukewarm/ enough for your eyelids. When towel goes cool, dip it back in water and keep doing this for 10mins. Then, MASSAGE your closed eyelids 1 at a time starting with top Left- gently pulll lids tought by using left index finger and gently pull to your temple area. With your right index finger(pad of the index finger) and run your finger in a downwards motion along your lid a little pressure, the aim is to push the oils out as Blepharitis may be blocking the glands? the heat treatment was to open the glands, and make the oils in your eyelids nice and runny. Use index finger again and this time run your index finger accross your upper eyelid massaging the oils out, do 10 of these also, clean your finger then do bottom eye lid. Then do same on other eye.

When you have done this, using boiled then left to cool water, a small cup off youre water mixed with a small soloution of baby shampoo- I'M NOT SURE OF THE MIXTURE SO PLEASE ASK? it's a tiny portion of baby shampoo, something like 1 part baby shampoo 9 parts water?. stir it up then pull your bottom eyelid down and out slightly, and run a cotton stick along the tip of eyelid margins where it would meet the eye (dont poke yourself in the eye obviously) and same between eye lashes.
                    (this is aimed at clearing any debris caused by Blepharitis)..
                    It is 1 end of the cotton bud per eyelid!! ie- 1 end for bottom left, turn it over and the other end is for top eyelid, throw it away then use a fresh one for the other eyelid, same again- 1 end for top lid and other end for bottom eyelid- THIS AVOIDS CROSS INFECTION.. Good luck with the top eyelids, all i could do was shut lids quite tight and push clean cotton bud/stick between top eye lashes, and lid margin best i could. (there should be a video of this i imagine, on you tube?).
                    Do this 3x times a day, AM, afternoon, and evening. and when youre opthamolagist says it's gone (bleph) you must do this a couple of times a week only, to avoid it coming back, as Blepharitis will come back. At every stage you must be using boiled water and touch each eyelid with clean finger or Cotton stick no-one must use your face towel.
                    To keep Bleph away, when taking a shower every morning, i perform the above under the shower head daily, without the baby shampoo though...
                    Hope i explained that ok??? if the face towel is a little heavy? this part of the procedure has alternatives, a rice baggy?? or some even fill a bowl of steaming water and hold there head ove rit for 10 mins, with a towel over your head to avoid the steam escaping- therefore nothing resting on your eyes and the steam is doing the heat opening glands part.

One more thing Trac, if you struggle with the first methods above? just do the shower version, it's simple and no bother, wont be as effective though, but a lot better than doing nothing!..
                    Last edited by Colin P; 07-Sep-2011, 02:51. Reason: additional info

Comment

Working...
                    X