Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doxycycline users: Do you take probiotics while on Doxy?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doxycycline users: Do you take probiotics while on Doxy?

...Have any of you been advised by your doctors to take probiotics while on doxycycline? Any of you doing so (with or without medical advice)?
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Thanks for the reminder!!! My pharmacist reminded me of it today. My doctor never mentioned it.

Comment

Took 1 cup of StonyField Organic Yogurt while on doxy(for MGD) but always with a 2 hours spacing...my current doc never mentioned it; but my ENT doc mentioned that while on antibiotics remember to take Yogurt to prevent stomach upsets. Was also on Minocycline for 3 months to get control over my facial rosacea...at that time nothing helped and lost taste....but was able to doxy much better afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
        ...Have any of you been advised by your doctors to take probiotics while on doxycycline? Any of you doing so (with or without medical advice)?
        I took Doxycyline for years before switching to Minocycline (slower absorption)

My GP advised me to take probiotics when taking antibiotics and it's something I have continued to do - even though I am taking a rest from antibiotics for a while.

Comment

I do, but was not told to do so.

Comment

I was just started on doxy for another condition. Have been taking probiotics for several months and will continue to do so. Neither my healthcare provider nor my pharmacist recommended that I do so.
            Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

I was told by my naturopath doc to take probiotics and gave me a specific type for antibiotic use.

Comment

I am no longer on doxy but I have and do continue to take probiotics. Just a reminder it is best not to take the probiotics at the same time as the doxy they need to be seperated by a couple fours for them to be the most effective. Also there is a big diference between the diferent brands of probiotics. Many of them require refrigeration to keep the potency and the ones you buy off the shelf at room temp are often not as beneficial.

Comment

Can someone recommend which probiotics I should take while on doxy or yogurts and do i take the yogurt before the doxy or after, and how long i should wait between the two? Thanks.

Comment

I take doxy 100 mg 2 x a day & take my probiotic at lunch time (the man at the health food store where I bought them said not to take them at the same time as the antibiotic). Make sure you get a pill that has more than one type of active culture; should be at least 10 types (according to the nutritionist I see). She recommended one called Florastor (which I wasn't able to find at the health food store). I've been taking the doxy for over a week now & am not having any stomach problems.

Comment

Anyone experienced any uncomfortable side effects from doxy?

Comment

Working...
                      X