This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can doxy make eyes worse

I have had seborrhea dermatitis along with blepharitus for several years now. I recently tested a zero on the Schirmer test and my eye doctor put me on Azasite and 100mg 2xs a day of Doxycycline. I was great until day 11. Summer is usually the best time for my scalp and eyes. On day 11 my skin and scalp were an itchy, oily, dry mess. Then the Azasite I had been using burned and seemed to make things worse. Any drop started to irritate my eyes. Before the Azasite and Doxy, I only felt dry in one eye and lost lashes. Now it has been almost 28 days of doxy. I called the eye dr. 2 weeks ago and they said I might be having an allergic reaction to the Azasite. Two weeks later and I have both eyes bone dry and painful. I think it is odd that my seborrhea dermatitus fared up while on doxy. I mentioned this to the nurse and they said is was just a coincidence! I am thinking about stopping the doxy even thought they said to stay on it. Has anyone with gotten drier and had symptoms get worse on doxycycline? My skin is also a mess and I have gone back to using my dandruff shampoos! Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!

i have been on doxy for years.. it hasnt made me drier... im responding cause no one else had--and ii know how frustrating that can be.. can you call your doc or maybe even pharmacist? that is usually what i do for answers if no one else knows..
    Jenny

Comment

I have been on doxy for over 2 years now and it has not made me drier either. When I have had to go off for a time (vacations in the Caribbean due to sun exposure), I have noticed an increase in dry eye symptoms. Good Luck!

Comment

Hi Zoe,

This is merely a suggestion, but perhaps you should try picking up a box of Systane Ultra (the preservative free version) and then do the following:
        1. put a drop or two into your eyes
        2. lie down and close your eyes for 10 minutes
        3. put in another drop or two
        4. lie down and close your eyes for 10 minutes
        5. put in one more drop and try going about your day

It's definitely not going to cure you, but taking the 20 minutes or so to do this at the start of a day might bring you a lot of relief. Systane Ultra can be used in the same way as a wheel chair would be used if you were to twist your ankle. The wheel chair doesn't actually make you better, but it gets you around while you can't walk.

Two final comments:
        - a box costs around $15.00, which is pretty expensive when you consider that you could probably burn through a whole box in about 2 days if your problems are bad enough. Hopefully a box will last you more around a week.
        - when you open up one of the vials, don't throw it away after a single use. Just put it down in an area where the tip won't get dirty and you can use it again later in the day or the next morning.

Comment

I felt that about three weeks after starting Doxy my eyes became alot drier. Maybe this happens to only some people but I was for sure drier while on Doxy..

Comment

Working...
          X