Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doxycyclene and low white blood cells

Hello guys,

I just gotten the results from my annual physical test and it seems that I have low white blood cells count (3.4), which is a little worrying. I'd been taking the antibiotic Doxy 50 Mg 2x a day, for about 6 months so it seems that it is most likely the reason for this.
    So, does anyone in here that it's also taking Doxy has had similar experiences?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Daniel2; 27-Apr-2016, 20:30.

Lots of things can do that, including a cold, an infection or antibiotics. I had chemo last year and my blood cells looked crazy every time they did a blood panel. Your blood replenishes itself and is constantly changing. I am not a doctor, so I would ask your doctor about it.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/l...s/sym-20050615

Comment

Doxy is also used for fighting viral infections, so will be helping your immune system in theory ( white blood count is low when its fighting something) though 50mg x 2 of doxy is not a great deal to wipe most things out. Did you have a cold or any other health issue at the time of the test?
      People have recovered, so can we.
      www.twitter.com/EyeGirlfriend)

Comment

Antibiotics can lower white blood cell count.
        White blood cells are manufactured in bone marrow — the spongy tissue inside some of your larger bones. A low white blood cell count usually is caused by:
        • Viral infections that temporarily disrupt the work of bone marrow
        • Certain disorders present at birth (congenital) that involve diminished bone marrow function
        • Cancer (or other diseases that damage bone marrow)
        • Autoimmune disorders that destroy white blood cells or bone marrow cells
        • Severe infections that use up white blood cells faster than they can be produced
        • Medications, such as antibiotics, that destroy white blood cells
        • Sarcoidosis

Comment

Originally posted by waterbee View Post
          Doxy is also used for fighting viral infections, so will be helping your immune system in theory ( white blood count is low when its fighting something) though 50mg x 2 of doxy is not a great deal to wipe most things out. Did you have a cold or any other health issue at the time of the test?
          Nope, nothing really.

Comment

Originally posted by LaDiva View Post
            Antibiotics can lower white blood cell count.
            White blood cells are manufactured in bone marrow — the spongy tissue inside some of your larger bones. A low white blood cell count usually is caused by:
            • Viral infections that temporarily disrupt the work of bone marrow
            • Certain disorders present at birth (congenital) that involve diminished bone marrow function
            • Cancer (or other diseases that damage bone marrow)
            • Autoimmune disorders that destroy white blood cells or bone marrow cells
            • Severe infections that use up white blood cells faster than they can be produced
            • Medications, such as antibiotics, that destroy white blood cells
            • Sarcoidosis
            Do you know if white blood cells regenerate? Or at least how long they take to do so?
            Doxy has helped me somewhat but if the risks are too high I'll just have to cut them completely.

My primary doctor ordered me to go to a lab and have my blood taken again for further testing, (the appointment is tomorrow), hopefully the results are nothing to worry about.

Comment

Yes Daniel. Absolutely cells are replaced. I am not very scientific, but think that red and white cells are produced in our bone marrow. My cell counts changed constantly during chemo. Once my white count was so low that the Dr. had to readjust the chemo dosage, but those cells rebalanced themselves from one blood test to the next. Hoping for the best. Don't worry!
              Last edited by LaDiva; 05-May-2016, 18:17.

Comment

Working...
              X