Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ALWAYS use antibiotic eye drops with therapeutic contact lenes after erosion ??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ALWAYS use antibiotic eye drops with therapeutic contact lenes after erosion ??

Hi.

I have suffered in the past few years from Recurrent Corneal Erosions.
    After episodes I am always put with therapeutic contact lens for several weeks sometimes for over a month or almost two.

In the past 1 year I had no episode at all which is good!
    But 2 weeks ago I had a severe episode in both eyes.

The problem is that I am now living in a foreign country so I could not go to my goto doctor, instead I went to a local opthomologist.

This doc put me the therapeutic contact lens and told me to take antibiotic eye drops VIGAMOX for 10 days.
    So far that's the same standard procedure I always undergo after an erosion episode.

Only today I went to the doc and she told me that I should continue to be with the therapeutic contact lens for 3 more weeks but I should STOP the VIGAMOX. That is I should be wearing the contact lens for 3 more weeks without any antibiotic eye drops at all during this remaining 3 weeks. What if I get slight micro erosions during these 3 weeks which I won't even consider as big erosions, but they can still make the corean open for infections.

She said that my cornea wounds are not totally healed yet, but the wounds are closed and because my corea wounds are closed I no longer need to take antibiotic eye drops.
    I am currently with the therapeutic contact lens 24/7 without removing them at all.

BUT other opthomologists I used to go in my country in the past always told me that I should ALWAYS be taking VIGAMOX antibiotic eye drops 4 times a day for as long as I am wearing the therapeutic contact lens.

So now I am SPLIT between the totally contradicting opinions of two doctors.

Is it SAFE AND GOOD PRACTICE not to take any antibiotic eye drops for the next 3 weeks even though I will be wearing the contact lens 24/7 without removing them?
    Does the VIGAMOX really hurt the cornea healing ? What if I get micro erosions, ones that go away within hours so no need to go to the doc, but can make my corea a potential for infections.

Would like to hear other opinions. Please don't tell me "listen to your doctor" I already know this, but have no way of contacting my go to doc, and besisdes my usual doctor may be oldschool and maybe it is better to discontinue the antibiotics like this current doctor suggests. I am just afraid of an infection which is very dangerous.

Thanks a lot for anyone who can comment.
    Ed
Working...
X