This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting off the doxycycline

I've been on doxy for two years now. For the past year and a half, I've been on 50mg every other day. This weekend, I've had a stomach flu and it just made me realize how sensitive my stomach has become especially after being on the doxy. My regular ophtho and derm suggest I stay on long term. The dr who did lipiflow and dr latkany told me to get off of it.

My question is: How long after you are off the doxy would you notice a difference. In other words, if the doxy is helping and I stop, would I notice a negative difference in two days, 5 days, a week? How long would it normally take before doxy's effect (if any) wears off? Thank you!

I've been off doxy for 3 months (I was on it for 6 months before my eye doc suggested I stop) for some reason it was giving me really bad acne. I think my MGD is worse now. I've been expressing my glands and have had silly string like oil shooting out of my glands that are over a centimeter long.

Comment

Thanks for your input, Patrick. I hope your MGD improves soon. I've been off the doxy for a few days now. Still on the fence about what to do. I appreciate your response!

Comment

It's strange that doxy would give you acne. It's a common treatment for acne and at much higher doses than for MGD.
        But you had some improvement during the time you were on doxy then?

Comment

Originally posted by Santaklauzz View Post
          It's strange that doxy would give you acne. It's a common treatment for acne and at much higher doses than for MGD.
          It's actually not strange at all. Staph bacteria is resistant to doxy, and staph causes a lot of different sorts of acne in people. Doxy kills the good bacteria that keeps yeast in check within the body, and when you develop a yeast overgrowth, parasites carry the staph bacteria via candida throughout your entire system.

Logan x

Comment

Originally posted by Logandly View Post
            It's actually not strange at all. Staph bacteria is resistant to doxy, and staph causes a lot of different sorts of acne in people. Doxy kills the good bacteria that keeps yeast in check within the body, and when you develop a yeast overgrowth, parasites carry the staph bacteria via candida throughout your entire system.

Logan x
            I don't believe the medical evidence for "yeast overgrowth syndrome" isn't available at present, and while it might exist we need to be aware that it is just a theory.

Peppermint, I hope that your eyes do not deteriorate off Doxy. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by wagnermid View Post
              I don't believe the medical evidence for "yeast overgrowth syndrome" isn't available at present, and while it might exist we need to be aware that it is just a theory.

Peppermint, I hope that your eyes do not deteriorate off Doxy. Good luck.
              Actually there is a plethora of information regarding Candida and how it integrates into more other serious diseases including Cancer, Diabetes and Pancreatitis:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...7/#!po=4.09836

"Population-based surveillance studies have also documented a high incidence of candidemia among cancer patients (71 per 100,000) and adults with diabetes (28 per 100,000), as well as the near universality of central venous catheters among patients diagnosed with candidemia (5, 92, 113). "

"GLOBAL TRENDS IN SPECIES DISTRIBUTION AND ANTIFUNGAL SUSCEPTIBILITY AMONG CANDIDA ISOLATES FROM IC
              Temporal and Geographic Influences on Species Distribution
              More than 17 different species of Candida have been reported to be etiologic agents of IC in humans (96, 211). Although more than 90% of invasive infections due to Candida spp. are attributed to five species—C. albicans, C. glabrata, C. parapsilosis, C. tropicalis, and C. krusei—the list of reported species continues to grow as laboratories are pushed to provide an identification to the species level as an aid in optimizing therapy of candidal infections (Table ​(Table7)7) (189, 211, 253, 274). "

"SUMMARY AND CONCLUSIONS
              IC is a persistent public health problem. The incidence and mortality rates associated with this infectious disease have remained unchanged for more than a decade despite major advances in the field of antifungal therapy. The excess LOS associated with IC carries with it significant hospital costs, to the extent that annual expenditures for IC have been estimated at ~$1 billion in the United States alone. Epidemiological studies have revealed emerging species that may vary geographically in frequency of isolation. It is also apparent that no class of antifungal agent is immune to the development of resistance. It is now essential that laboratories identify clinical isolates of Candida to the species level and consider an orderly program of in vitro susceptibility testing to aid in therapeutic decision making. Mortality attributable to IC remains high largely due to delays in the administration of appropriate antifungal therapy."

The conclusion should also note that anti-biotic usage exacerbates and often is the cause of Candida infections in the first place. Mortality results because it is often undiagnosed and people are given more anti-biotics that exacerbate the condition into auto-immune diseases, cancer et al.

Comment

Invasive candidiasis, is normally an issue for neutropenic, immune-compromised patients and those with serious underlying conditions, it is not the same thing as "yeast overgrowth syndrome". I just think dry eye patients, wether using Doxycycline for anti-bacterial or anti-inflammatory effects or as a metalloproteinase inhibitor need to make informed choices, and discuss the issues with their health practitioners.

Comment

Peppermint how are you doing now? Had the Doxy actually made a difference do you think? I'm coming off Doxy after taking it 6 months. I don't think it helped me at all though. Ophth said I need a 2 month break then I can go back on it but I don't think I will.

Comment

Hi Lizlou!
                    I actually got scared and was only off of it for 3 and a half days. I'm doing really well these days and am so worried that getting off of it will make me have a setback but I can't be on this drug forever! I already have slightly elevated liver enzymes since my last bloodwork and I am very concerned. So I am thinking again of giving it up. I recently saw the 90 min Dr Korb lecture and at the very end, someone asked him a question about doxy and he is not in favor of using it and mentioned possible liver damage in one of his comments. Scared me again!

I'm glad that you saw no difference getting off of it! And you were on it for only 6 months, which is great! I see that it can benefit for some and it's probably helped me but in general, better to not be on it at all for such a long period of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Santaklauzz View Post
                      I did have some marginal improvement I think... At least when I manually expressed my glands while on doxy it looked less paste like. My acne has cleared up completely after being off doxy for 4 months, but my mgd still sucks. I do remember feeling sick while on. It for so long... I believe it's best that I'm not on it long term.

I just wish there was something else I could do for my mgd

P

Comment

Working...
                      X