Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doxycycline destroyed my gut...anyone else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't agree with the claim that probiotics can stop doxycycline from burning your gut. Instead doxycycline should be taken the "right way". When you swallow doxycycline the capsule surface might rupture anywhere inside your food pipe or stomach. If the drug touches a specific area of the gut in concentrated amounts it's supposed to cause erosion of the mucous layer and that's what exposes the gut epithelium to damage. So doxycycline must not be allowed to touch the gut in concentrated amounts before it reaches the stomach. The ideal way is to drink 750 ml of water before actually swallowing the pill and another 750 ml of water immediately after swallowing the pill. The purpose of drinking water before swallowing the pill is to create a water pool inside your stomach that will dilute the doxycycline so much that it cannot cause erosion of the gut at that concentration. The purpose of drinking water immediately after swallowing the pill is to force the pill to rush through the food pipe straight to the stomach without touching the food pipe surface and possibly getting dissolved releasing the doxycycline in a small area of the same in concentrated form to cause the erosion.

For those who freak out thinking about drinking 1.5 litres of water in a go, you may reduce the water quantity to 250-500 ml (each time) according to your stomach size.

Doxycycline should always be taken on an empty stomach (without food but lots of water) to increase the drug availability and absorption. One must not take dairy products one hour before or after ingesting doxycycline.

Comment

Originally posted by Milo007 View Post
      I don't agree with the claim that probiotics can stop doxycycline from burning your gut. Instead doxycycline should be taken the "right way". When you swallow doxycycline the capsule surface might rupture anywhere inside your food pipe or stomach. If the drug touches a specific area of the gut in concentrated amounts it's supposed to cause erosion of the mucous layer and that's what exposes the gut epithelium to damage. So doxycycline must not be allowed to touch the gut in concentrated amounts before it reaches the stomach. The ideal way is to drink 750 ml of water before actually swallowing the pill and another 750 ml of water immediately after swallowing the pill. The purpose of drinking water before swallowing the pill is to create a water pool inside your stomach that will dilute the doxycycline so much that it cannot cause erosion of the gut at that concentration. The purpose of drinking water immediately after swallowing the pill is to force the pill to rush through the food pipe straight to the stomach without touching the food pipe surface and possibly getting dissolved releasing the doxycycline in a small area of the same in concentrated form to cause the erosion.

For those who freak out thinking about drinking 1.5 litres of water in a go, you may reduce the water quantity to 250-500 ml (each time) according to your stomach size.

Doxycycline should always be taken on an empty stomach (without food but lots of water) to increase the drug availability and absorption. One must not take dairy products one hour before or after ingesting doxycycline.
      To add to this. Milo is correct, two fold, that the pill is a large bolus of medicine and therefore irritates the gut AND the capsules will open in your stomach rather than in your gut.

Heres a workaround that helped me. Ask your doctor give you the monohydrate tablets NOT the capsules. The tabs are coated and get into the gut before they pop. That will reduce burning A LOT! Also, you can ask for 50mg tablets instead of 100mg which helps split the dose to different areas of the gut lining. I have ZERO gut issues now on 200mg and I don’t use a probiotic. Just 300g Greek yogurt with a scoop of chocolate protein powder. Tastes like pudding.
      Last edited by Dowork123; 06-Mar-2019, 13:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Dowork123 View Post

Heres a workaround that helped me. Ask your doctor give you the monohydrate tablets NOT the capsules. The tabs are coated and get into the gut before they pop. That will reduce burning A LOT! Also, you can ask for 50mg tablets instead of 100mg which helps split the dose to different areas of the gut lining. I have ZERO gut issues now on 200mg and I don’t use a probiotic. Just 300g Greek yogurt with a scoop of chocolate protein powder. Tastes like pudding.
        Unfortunately doxycycline tablets are not available in India. Mostly we have capsules in the market which is doxycycline hydrochloride. I am taking capsules that has doxycycline hydrochloride equivalent to doxycycline 100mg and 5 billion spores of probiotics. Honestly I think the concept of clubbing an antibiotic WITH probiotics is ridiculous. You can't expect the spores to survive when they are released with the antibiotic TOGETHER in the stomach. My grandfather was a Master's in surgery and my grandmother is a pathologist. They always told me it's useless to take probiotics when you are on antibiotics. Probiotics should be taken after the completion of the antibiotic dosage or when you are on long term antibiotics live cultures of probiotics should be taken 2-3 hours after ingestion of the antibiotic tablet or capsule. Probiotic spores are useless WHILE you are on antibiotic therapy.

Unfortunately there no 50mg or 20mg version of doxycycline in the Indian market as well. We have 100mg or 200mg capsules.

Taking yogurt after doxycycline is a smart move. You need to replenish your gut flora everyday with live cultures of probiotics since the antibiotic is killing them on an every day basis and probiotic spores cannot survive and grow while you are on antibiotics . Lol

Comment

Unfortunately doxycycline tablets are not available in India. Mostly we have capsules in the market which is doxycycline hydrochloride. I am taking capsules that has doxycycline hydrochloride equivalent to doxycycline 100mg and 5 billion spores of probiotics. Honestly I think the concept of clubbing an antibiotic WITH probiotics is ridiculous. You can't expect the spores to survive when they are released with the antibiotic TOGETHER in the stomach. My grandfather was a Master's in surgery and my grandmother is a pathologist. They always told me it's useless to take probiotics when you are on antibiotics. Probiotics should be taken after the completion of the antibiotic dosage or when you are on long term antibiotics live cultures of probiotics should be taken 2-3 hours after ingestion of the antibiotic tablet or capsule. Probiotic spores are useless WHILE you are on antibiotic therapy.

Unfortunately there no 50mg or 20mg version of doxycycline in the Indian market as well. We have 100mg or 200mg capsules.

Taking yogurt after doxycycline is a smart move. You need to replenish your gut flora everyday with live cultures of probiotics since the antibiotic is killing them on an every day basis and probiotic spores cannot survive and grow while you are on antibiotics . Lol
          Yeah, what’s mostly sold here is the hyclate salt and those are caps. I had to ask for monohydrate tabs. I specifically asked for monohydrate too because it’s fat soluble. So my hope is that it would accompany the fat/oil in the gland and better deliver the drug to the target tissue. I have no clue if that thought is correct, but I figured it wouldn’t hurt.

I mean I would consider buying a pill press and making my own, but I am the guy that bought a centrifuge to make his own serum. My thoughts are not normal lol.

Comment

Yeah, what’s mostly sold here is the hyclate salt and those are caps. I had to ask for monohydrate tabs. I specifically asked for monohydrate too because it’s fat soluble. So my hope is that it would accompany the fat/oil in the gland and better deliver the drug to the target tissue. I have no clue if that thought is correct, but I figured it wouldn’t hurt.

I think any systemic medication if absorbed well from the gut would reach the tissues through the blood stream. So fat soluble form of the drug might be better in terms of absorption from the gut with a high fat diet. Otherwise both fat soluble and water soluble forms of the drug would end up in the blood stream which would reach the meibomian glands through the fine capillaries.

I mean I would consider buying a pill press and making my own, but I am the guy that bought a centrifuge to make his own serum. My thoughts are not normal lol.
            I think buying the centrifuge was a very good idea but buying a pill press would be an overkill. Your thoughts are not super normal and I am in that league too lol. We both have some sort of OCD I believe and that's not always bad.

Comment

I think any systemic medication if absorbed well from the gut would reach the tissues through the blood stream. So fat soluble form of the drug might be better in terms of absorption from the gut with a high fat diet. Otherwise both fat soluble and water soluble forms of the drug would end up in the blood stream which would reach the meibomian glands through the fine capillaries.

I think buying the centrifuge was a very good idea but buying a pill press would be an overkill. Your thoughts are not super normal and I am in that league too lol. We both have some sort of OCD I believe and that's not always bad.
              Am I wrong to assume that the monohydrate is lypophyllic? I guess I’m my simple mind I thought, the doxy may pair with fat to be carried throughout the body. But maybe that doesn’t make sense...hmm.

Comment

Am I wrong to assume that the monohydrate is lypophyllic? I guess I’m my simple mind I thought, the doxy may pair with fat to be carried throughout the body. But maybe that doesn’t make sense...hmm.
                I think the monohydrate releases the active drug into the blood stream anyway so it doesn't matter. We have the chloride versions available here. I am assuming all the different forms of the drug are more or less equally effective irrespective of the release times of the molecules. I have no idea what's the difference between a monohydrate, hyclate or chloride in terms of efficacy. But pairing up with fat is not a bad idea at all. Won't harm I believe.

Comment

Working...
                X