Tried stopping Doxy as experiment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tried stopping Doxy as experiment?

For about a year ive been on serious antibiotics from styes and full blown dry eye. Part of me is very uneasy killing all my gut bacteria since medical science only knows the gut-brain connection is important but is essentially clueless as to how or why. Typical western medicine.

Anyways i really want to stop and experiment at some point to see if my symptoms get worse or not.

Has anyone tried this and if so what happened?

Thanks in advance dry eye compatriots.

Hi,

Antibiotics has many side effects including resistance.

To tackle sty: warm compress, lid hygiene (with pure HOCL, like Avenova) are effective/safer. Since I have started these 2 years ago, I do not have sty anymore
    Last edited by MGD1701; 25-Jul-2018, 07:22.

Comment

Ask your doctor. I asked mine after 3 months on doxy and he said it was ok for me to stop. I shared your concerns basically to the letter, plus I was not seeing obvious improvement. However my doctor did say I may need to resume doxy treatment again in 3-6 months if things worsen but that it was ok to give my eyes a break for a while.

Edit: To give context this was about 3 weeks ago. No change so far, but I realize it hasn’t been a long time and anything is possible. So yeah, ask your doc.

Are you taking a probiotic too?

Comment

Originally posted by edmunder View Post
        For about a year ive been on serious antibiotics from styes and full blown dry eye. Part of me is very uneasy killing all my gut bacteria since medical science only knows the gut-brain connection is important but is essentially clueless as to how or why. Typical western medicine.

Anyways i really want to stop and experiment at some point to see if my symptoms get worse or not.

Has anyone tried this and if so what happened?

Thanks in advance dry eye compatriots.
        Typical Doxy dosage is 40mg per daily for MGD. It shouldn't really affect your gut flora too much, and is considered quite safe. At this dosage, you're taking doxy for the anti-inflammatory properties as opposed to the antiobiotic properties. I wouldn't worry about resistance if you're already on it long term. The bacteria in your gut has probably already acquired resistance (which may not be a bad thing; your gut bacteria is good bacteria, and having good bacteria resistant to antiobiotics is not a bad thing).

Comment

Always take probiotics if you are taking any antibiotic regardless of strength or duration.

Comment

Working...
          X