This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The use of doxycyline for months..

Ive been reading an article that said that antibiotics should only b e taken for up to a week or our bodies become resistant to them .but if your like me and been given initially a 5 month supply of doxy and that the doxy takes 30 to 60 days to work how can this be . Is doxy a different type of antibiotic or what...im puzzled..can anyone shed any light on this..cb.

Doxycycline is actually a very poor antibiotic. It's best quality is that of an anti-inflammatory. That's why it is prescribed for folks who have inflammation in the eyelids. At least that's what my current MD told me. I have been taking it for 5+ months and I do plan on asking my MD on my next visit if it is okay for me to continuously take it. Can it be taken for 1 year+? Anybody have experience taking doxy long-term?

Comment

hi has the doxy worked for you to reduce your inflammation..

Hi has doxy worked for you then to reduce the inflammation..i am anxious to hear any good news from people on doxy..thanks for explaining about it as well.now am not so puzzled..cb

Comment

Doxy seems to have worked for me. I'd say it reduced my eyelid inflammation about 60%-70% but it took 6 weeks to see initial results and 3-4 months to see full results.

When I had the plugs pulled after a few months on doxy, the inflammation went down another 10%-20%. Now I have minor inflammation in my lids and the MD I see is very "underwhelmed" by the inflammation. I guess that's good. Unless you are having GI issues with doxy, in my opinion, it's best to be patient with seeing results. Good luck.

Comment

systemic antibiotics - keep reevaluating

I was on doxy- or tetracycline for at least 4 years, convinced that it was keeping my inflammation at bay, only to then worry, when news broke (3 yrs ago, I think) that long-term or repeated dosing with antibiotics is correlated with increased incidence of breast cancer. I stopped my tetra cold turkey, when the cancer study was published, and experienced no change in my eyes. I believe that true ocular rosacea does respond to antibiotics, as anti-inflammatory agents, and as agents that can change meibomian exudate chemistry. . .but I no longer believe that the pain and inflammation suffered from any other ocular surface cause is altered by antibiotics. . .That's why I, as someone who wasn't actually benefitting from the antibiotics, moved on to direct treatment for the burning ocular surface pain (systemically. . .under the care of good docs). I also tried a course of topical doxycycline at Bascom-Palmer, under the care of Israeli visiting researcher Dr. Avi Solomon. .. I was sure it would work. . .but absolutely nothing happened. . .Anyway. . .Restasis has ultimately all but stopped the burning pain for me. . .and I wonder if it is, therefore, having an anti-inflammatory effect that was supposed to be gotten from the antibiotics. . .Please note that I am just a patient, and not a doc. . .talking only about my subjective experiences and conclusions/deductions based on these. . .but possibly others have gone through my thought process, too?
          <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

Second Time

I am on my second time for 3 months. Only thing I had concerns about was the effect of good bacteria in the stomach. I did almost lose a friend of mine due to taking antibiotics so I am a little bit carried away with taking them. His doctor and my eye doctor reccomend taking yogurt. Both reccomended using Stoneyfield. I have no stock in them or work for them. They just said that had the good bacteria or whatever to help. So this time I have added that to my diet whih to start while I am taking the antibiotic. Think it's been about 5 tyears since I last did this. Been about 2 weeks. Said after a month to start taking the restasis. So that is next on the list.

Comment

Last time on the doxy, I was in Europe. I drank probably 2+ quarts of liquid yogurt daily ... for the same reason (happen to love it, too!).

Now (sigh), I'm on Amoxicillin for a (did I already sigh?) sinus infection. I've gotten ahold of those "shelf-stable" (no refrigeration required) probiotic beads and am taking about 5 billion .... whatever ... per day.

The science is starting to come out about probiotics. Very little downside.....

Comment

reminder: yogurt contains calcium which in turn reduces the effectiveness of doxy (if taking within 4 hours).

K

Comment

Correct.

I waited 6+ hours (liquid lunch!).

Comment

Use of antibiotics

I am on doxycycline - have been for about 6 months. A very low dose and to counteract this, I take Kyo-Dophilus which is a combo of 3 types of bacteria. I haven't decided whether the antibiotics have helped or not as I am on the computer all day long and my eyes get so sore from this. I have been reading a lot about the benefits of raw milk which contains omega fats. There is a website, www.westonprice.org, which has a lot of good info. about homeopathic treatments for different ailments. I am seriously considering trying the raw milk.

Comment

Raw Milk and Yogurt

Brought up on the stuff. Funny how things so bad for us once come back as good stuff. Guess that's why I find milk so watery tasting.

As for the yogurt I prefer the whole milk plain Stoneyfield. Just my preference. I take the Doxy in the morning and have the yogurt at night. Got a couple more weeks then start the Restasis. Should be interesting.

Comment

Restasis

Good luck on the Restasis. I used it twice. The first time it seemed to really help but I stopped after a couple of months because of burning. The second time I tried it, didn't do much. But I have a friend that really likes the stuff. Everyone is different so I guess we just have to find what's right for us individually. I'm trying to get off the computer (on all day) and am hoping that will help me alot. Never had trouble until the Lasik surgery!

Comment

Doxy

My biggie for help with dry eyes was flaxseed. Still can't believe how much help it has been to me. As good as my eyes are right now I know they could use a litle more help. I want to protect them as much as possible. So will give the restisas a try and see how it goes. Before the doxy I was having some irratation at night and now that has gone away. I know I have to finish the 12 weeks course even though they do feel really good right now.

Comment

long-term doxycyclin

I've been on 50mgs of doxy a day for about 3 1/2 years with occasional attempts to lower dosage to 30mgs and 20mgs. Inflammation always increases with lower dose so I go back to 50. I take with breakfast and acidophilus capsule.

Best,

Comment

Hello.

My ophtalmo chose to give me doxy 100 mg per day 50mg AM and 50 mg PM , then stop me for one month, then start again and it seems to work. But I've seen that no milk or dairy is supposed to be taken with doxy bcoz it kills the effect, so I guess acidophilus does the same. I take yoghourts on the day with doxy 4 hours after only or before doxy, not to prevent doxy from acting.

Originally posted by William53
                              I've been on 50mgs of doxy a day for about 3 1/2 years with occasional attempts to lower dosage to 30mgs and 20mgs. Inflammation always increases with lower dose so I go back to 50. I take with breakfast and acidophilus capsule.

Best,

Comment

Working...
                              X