This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• doxycycline

hi everyone.. i wanted to ask , how do we get a precription for doxy?... do u ask the opth?
    and if u 're taking it regularly, where do you regularly get a new precription?

btw , did Vitamin C worked for you/

Gp

Hello,
    Are you in UK? Do you have blepharitis?
    You can get it from your GP although it is unlikely he/she has knowledge about using doxy. for dry eyes or blepharitis. You should get a print out from NHS library on net - depends on your relationship with GP as I hear some don't like being given print-outs etc.
    Rgds,
    Bruce
    Occupation - Optimistologist

Comment

Can someone please explain to me what Doxy is and what its apose to do for the eyes?

Comment

Doxycycline is a member of the tetracycline class of antibiotics. Others include minocycline and oxytetracycline. Doxycycline is sometimes prescribed for blepharitis. It does two good things here. Firstly, it reduces eyelid bacteria, whose waste products can cause eye irritation. However, the drug also exerts strong anti-inflamatory effects and can help un-clog your meibomian glands in cases where MGD is a problem. It also reduces something called MMP-9 (matrix metalloproteinase). Honestly, I'm not sure exactly what that is, but it's bad! Hey, I'm still learning too, right?

Comment

I was under the impression that it also inhibited a protein that breaks down lipids, which form the outer layer of your tears (and which prevent evaporation).

Comment

Hi, Eli!

...just out of curiousity....are you a medical student of some sort? You seem to know a lot!! Me impressed :-D

Toril

Comment

Toril-
              Thank you! You made me laugh. Unfortunately, I am not a medical student, although a career in medicine would be so interesting. I just read a lot.
              Nick-I think you are right. I wish I knew more about this!
              Eli

Comment

Hi

I just get mines on a repeat prescription. Fill in the form at my Docs reception and bingo it's there the next day. You may have to educate your Doc to get the initial prescription

Robb

Comment

Working...
                X